forum

Is it ok to play 4k with middle and ring finger?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SStefiA
I've been playing with my ring and middle finger and I wanted to ask if it's alright, is it easier to injure my fingers and can I improve by playing like this? Does anyone else play like this?
Zelzatter Zero
if it's comfortable for you then go ahead, don't be too harsh on yourself. If you have problem playing with this for a long period of time then I'd suggest experimenting another playstyle until you're comfortable with it again.
[LS]PositoniX
i dont recommend it because personally i can move my index finger faster then my ring finger. it this works for you, use it.
Lights
i mean. if you can trill with your middle and ring finger, sure? jump trills must be awkward to play too
Ska
ye sure, it shouldnt be any different from using your index if you play like that from the beginning and get the muscle memory for it

it'll only be awkward for someone who never played like that

edit: about injuries tho, dont think it changes because of the fingers you use, always be careful not to overdo things and hurt yourself
Full Tablet
Anatomically, for a regular human hand, playing with middle and ring fingers puts you in a disadvantage compared to playing with index and another finger. There are muscles that move the index finger independently from the other fingers, while middle and ring finger share the same muscles (thus they can't be moved fully independently).
Stickman92
Guy above right bout the anatomy, though it don't matter much. Middle/ring finger move independently nough for pressing keyboard keys, u just have to get comfortable with it. Even ring/pinky finger is possible, 9k+ players do it.

Could even play 4k with 1 hand, if u practised hard enough, there few videos of it on youtube, just type osumania 4k 1 hand. Finger co-ordination more important then a mechanical advantage or disadvantage.
Caput Mortuum
4k only has... 4 keys, it's not hard to get used to the finger coordination. What's more, 4k is very demanding physically when you get to the higher levels, so it actually kinda matters which fingers you use
Lights

Caput Mortuum wrote:

4k only has... 4 keys, it's not hard to get used to the finger coordination. What's more, 4k is very demanding physically when you get to the higher levels, so it actually kinda matters which fingers you use
I've learned not to doubt what dumb stuff people can pull off. just look at some of the stuff index players have done. jakads did some 5star map with 1 hand
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I don’t know how it will benefit you at the moment, but it would be harmful in a long run. Sure people have done 5* map with 1 hand already, but it takes them years of playing 7k in order to do it. Also expect yourself to have skill barricade at around 5* because of how dense 4k charts are. It can be so dense that if using your current keybinds at the moment, the difficulty can be compared to some of the hardest 7k charts out there. So yes, it may be comfortable right now, but I’d highly suggest you to change your keybinds. But if you find playing like u r doing currently is fun, then sure, I’m all for it
Klarion
I'm someone who plays with middle and ring finger and it works great for me, it just takes a while to practice and get all the patterns down in ways you feel comfortable, and like the person above me said, there is a barrier around 5*, but give it time and you will be able to do harder maps then.
JamesHappy
I'm playing using middle and ring finger in 4K and I peaked at 4-5 SR difficulty 4 years ago. But right now I'm in a slump for more than 2 years and can't even get S in 3 SR. My fingers gets stiffed now when I playing using both of them. That's why I stopped playing for a while.
atomBao
It is up to you. I usually play with my middle and index finger.