forum

Is it worth getting into mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
RinnRinn
I have been following mapping semi-seriously for a few months now. I've tried looking at maps from ranked, loved, the graveyard, and of many different types. Specifically looking at how they represent the music. I've messed around with the editor just trying to learn all the different tools and how they work.

However... Is mapping worth it? It is incredibly time consuming, complex, and has a low chance of returning any sort of reward from the time investment. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I can just try and make maps I like to play and keep them to myself, but without criticism I doubt I could ever make something I'd like. I could try and push for ranked, but even my paltry knowledge of the ranking process can tell its a bit of a grueling process. A quick look at my profile will tell you that as a player I'm actually very bad. For that reason I really wish to focus on low difficulties (<5*).

I love the angular patterns of older maps, and how they follow vocals, often accentuating the song rather than just copying it. You'll think I'm a madman, but I am dead serious about wanting to make a four star map of Uta, Happppy Song, Bang Bang (The Green Day One).

With that said, do you think it would be worth getting into mapping? I still enjoy standard, so its not like I need mapping to keep me in the game. Though I kind of think it could be nice to map songs I enjoy. Though is it worth all the hassle?
Asphiee
I don't really know what to tell you so I'd leave it to the mappers who can make the speech. But I'll just tell you this, mapping is worth it if you find joy and fun doing it if not then why bother? You can just be a player and leave your vision of the song you like to (be) mapped to the mappers without certainty that someone will map it the way you want it to.
So...
lewski

Asphyre wrote:

mapping is worth it if you find joy and fun doing it if not then why bother?
basically this

Other people can't tell you whether or not mapping will be a worthwhile use of your time, that's something you have to find out for yourself. All I can tell you is that doing something you enjoy is never a waste of time.

If you do decide to get further into mapping, remember that mapping is hard. There will be times when you feel like you aren't improving, times when you feel like everything you make sucks, and even times when you feel like you're getting worse at mapping.

But if you power through those times and keep mapping, you'll also have times when every map you make feels better than the last, times when the circles just flow out of your head into the editor, times when mapping just feels really good. This cycle will repeat and repeat as you improve and continue trying new things in mapping, and being conscious of it makes the hard times easier to get through.

Cromanson50 wrote:

[Mapping] is incredibly time consuming, complex, and has a low chance of returning any sort of reward from the time investment.
It is time-consuming and complex, but whether or not it's rewarding isn't a matter of probability at all. Basically any reward you might seek in mapping is something you can and will achieve if you put in the effort. Determining what that reward is, though, is up to you.
Asphiee
Finally, a Martin Luther King. <3 <3
epic man 2
It's worth getting into mapping if you want to map things for yourself to be proud of.

(Coming from a player who was mapping for almost a year)
Yukanna
mapping is worth it and you should never give up