forum

Add Refresh Rate setting in osu!.profile.cfg [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
Darkimmortal
Custom resolutions are already possible through config editing - the one thing missing is the ability to set a custom refresh rate for fullscreen mode.

I'm not asking for a GUI option for this (definitely not enough demand), merely a way of setting it through the config file. A very simple change I would expect :)

I'm not sure if osu! already obeys the desktop refresh rate while in fullscreen mode, but that's not enough for a lot of users where their gameplay refresh rate is a lot higher than their normal desktop refresh rate. (e.g. CRT users, 120hz LCD hooked up with HDMI i.e. limited bandwidth, etc.)

I am aware this has been requested and denied before - both because of a lack of knowledge of the difference from the existing fps limit setting, and because for some users, 3rd party tools can hook the game process to achieve a less than ideal solution (it's stuttery and completely defeats the purpose).
Topic Starter
Darkimmortal
As a proof of concept I hacked the call to ChangeDisplaySettingsExA with a 120hz override and the framerate is silky smooth (nasty crashes on minimise and exit though, partly due to laziness and partly due to a terrible hooking library)

So this is literally a 5 minute job, no major changes needed anywhere
peppy
Please test this on the latest test build of osu! for me. In theory it should work.

RefreshRate = 120

Note that it only affects direct x in fullscreen mode.
Topic Starter
Darkimmortal

peppy wrote:

Please test this on the latest test build of osu! for me. In theory it should work.

RefreshRate = 120

Note that it only affects direct x in fullscreen mode.
Working absolutely flawlessly, many thanks! :)

Custom frame limiter is a great addition too, also working perfectly :)