forum

Animation/Performance suggestions [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
Dexus
I saw a thread requesting that everything could be animated and thought, why not the opposite?
Some effects like fading in, fading out, shaking, rotating, and moving can really take a toll in mass amounts.
Things to enable/disable
  • stop pulsating/tilting return note it would be a nice design to make some skins with stationary return notes
    stop pulsating ki icon not a big deal, but still there
    stop notes growing larger and flying at player this nearly doubles the notes/effects on the screen
    stop pulsating score counter kind of the same as pulsating ki icon
    ability to decrease the rate the scores/percentage updates maybe hide it and show during breaks? Talking about the top right one, not the left
    lessen effects of passing players I've heard of people lagging on some notes because of this. tab hiding may just do it, ignore if you think so.
    remove/lessen cursor trail The cursor is being drawn several times over on screen and all possibly fading, I'm not sure how you render this peppy, but I feel it can be toggleable, maybe add an increase option as well?
obviously some things can't be changed, like hit circles/follow points fading in because of fairness, or whatever you want to call it. Also the miss, orange, green, blue notes would look odd just appearing and disapearing, so that wouldn't be a good thing to disable neither.

Also a new option to render sliders, one solid color in a filled area with the ability to choose how transparent it is. It would take less for it to render therefore increasing performance.
jemhuntr
if you turn all of those off, it would seem like you're not playing a rhythm game at all. And also, these simple effects would run smoothly even on an ancient pentium 4 pc with 256 mb ram. If you want to maximize the performance, turn on low end pc, use open gl, choose the smallest option for fps limiter, and play on a low resolution fullscreen with no other apps open. You could also replace useless skin sprites with transparent 1x1 pngs or scale the resolutions down.
As for the slider thingy, I'm fine with the 3 skinnable slider styles. The only thing I'm supporting is the slider transparency adjustment, but that was requested already so yeah. No support.
pixeldesu
These Requests sound like toggles or something.

Don't request a toggle for disabling [insert new feature here] unless you want peppy to come to your house with a baseball bat.
But the effects and animations in osu! are nicely made and most of them are toggled in the options-menu if you want to save performance, so no need to change anything.

Also a new option to render sliders, one solid color in a filled area with the ability to choose how transparent it is. It would take less for it to render therefore increasing performance.
SliderStyle: 2
theowest
t/103885?hilit=transparent+slider
about the slider there

But I do agree that some elements should be skinnable to become inanimate. By being able to skin these effects frame by frame, so if you want, only have one frame. Motion tween and stuff? Like the .osb (SB) file but for your skin folder.
Saten
Most of these are best leaving it out of skinning
They are effects

Making them go frame by frame instead would cause the same effect but with more performance in hand.
And widen out the skin in this way would be pointless imo

The cursor-trail is actually skinnable though
peppy
Please make your own game if you would like this degree of change.
Topic Starter
Dexus
Oh well. Worth a shot. I still think a new slider render option should be implemented. They still get delay in handling no matter what I do. Maybe you can migrate osu! to a high end game engine? That defiantly would solve a lot of performance problems for a lot of users. Thanks for the replies.