forum

Why Do You Still Play?

posted
Total Posts
show more
RaneFire
I think about quitting all the games I play, I just don't quit until I actually do ??? lol ??? Usually for some obscure reason or just a shift of interest.

I've left behind and forgotten a lot of games which I've dedicated quite a substantial amount of time and effort into, some I played enthusiastically for 7 years, 5 years, 3 years etc., and one I'm still playing to this day going on 8 years... and a few lesser ones. osu! is no different, but I'm having fun now. Once I stop having fun... I disappear without a word, mainly due to the fact that I don't really make a decision to quit... days just go by and I forget to play.

So yea, that's why I'm still playing. Because I haven't quit yet. No reason to play nor quit, only that I do.
Shiro
I play because I don't want my rank to drop.
Mercurial
I'm not playing (as I've played before)

I'm trying to map stuff I like so much (Most people don't like what I map).

So, that's the only reason I'm still here.
RaneFire

kriers wrote:

e: another thing that's become a huge problem for me is that osu! is pretty much the only game I can still enjoy playing. I've tried several games and I just can't get hooked to any of them. It's like I'm all over playing video games, but not osu!
I feel like this too sometimes, but I can only make a realistic comparison with quake 3 defrag (8 years) - I dunno why but I'm hooked, and osu! gives me a similar feeling. I play some of the mainstream games with personal friends, but only occasionally.
bomber34
many reasons actually ._.
First of people i met here. Some persons are really amazing and even though i added them to skype we rather chat ingame for some reasons xD
Creativity and fun creating maps (mostly for myself)
4 game modes I all like xD If one mode gets boring i switch to another.
I'm addicted (wouldn't change much if i quit because i probaly get addicted to something else :/ )
silmarilen

lolcubes wrote:

Because some friends still play. If I was alone here I would have quit a long time ago.
Doesn't actually mean that playing is all that can be done in this game though.
i played for almost 2 years without actually making friends
i had maybe a couple of people in my friendlist who i played multiplayer with once but i never really talked to them
Mythras
I really don't know, possibly because I feel it would be a huge waste since with a couple weeks of dedication I could be decent at this point.
GoldenWolf

Aqo wrote:

Do you play for some fun maps that you enjoy?
Do you play for looking forward to new fun maps that would be created and submitted?
Do you play to meet goals set for yourself?
What kind of goals? - Short term goals, like SSing a map, FCing other one, etc
Do you play because other people you know also play?
Do you play because you never considered quitting?
For these reasons
koromo

Aqo wrote:

Do you play for looking forward to new fun maps that would be created and submitted?
Do you play to meet goals set for yourself? What kind of goals?
Yes to all of these. As for the goals, I'm aiming for top 1000 in the pp rankings, but at the same time I'm not really trying very hard because I don't think I deserve a rank that high. Rank isn't all that important though. More importantly, I want to be a decent HR player (but hardrock being too hard for me is making this difficult).

Aqo wrote:

Yes! I love my friends~

Aqo wrote:

What makes you keep playing this instead of just quitting?
I have no reason to quit. In the end osu! is just a game that I have fun playing, no reason for me to stop having fun (I spend more time spectating than actually playing though). Besides, I really love chatting with my friends~ osu! would be really boring if I had no friends. ;_;
GoldenWolf

koromo wrote:

As for the goals, I'm aiming for top 1000 in the pp rankings, but at the same time I'm not really trying very hard because I don't think I deserve a rank that high.

Lol same :3
Pacemaker
I'm addicted to the extent that I get internal pain whenever I ignore my urge to play. End of story.
Kanye West
I still play because the maps are fun, Hidden is fun and Doubletime is fun. The music is bad and the community is bad.
Wishy
Fun as a casual game. No goals. Pretty much playing this out of boredom anyways, not playing much (at all sometimes) because I'm busy with other games.
Fenek Alfa
For some fun maps that I enjoy
For looking forward to new fun maps that would be created and submitted
Because other people I know also play
Because I never considered quitting
Tamako Lumisade
Why? Because that game is awesome ^-^. It's like a hobby, where you feel your own progress. You can watch yourself, being better and better in something simple, but complicated at once. I don't care if I fail. It's just a fun. The best part of osu is enjoying your favourite music with cool community :3. What else? Customization! Own skin, which can describe your style.

Personally I don't have any friends in osu. My girlfriend sometimes plays, but mostly I play alone. But I'm still having a fun after all. :D
thelewa
I'm playing because I still haven't reached my initial goal in this game. I also wish to become a player whose replays other people would watch with the same kind of amazement that I watched old pro players replays with.

oh yeah, osu! is also really fun even though I usually bash the game because of my frustration.
winber1

koromo wrote:

blargh blah derrp hurrump camels
KOROMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

<3 <3 <3
theowest
I currently play because it's fun, which is also the reason why I'm not getting any good ranks.

I'm also very attached to the forum where I'm a moderator in a couple of forums.
KRZY
owc sole reason for now
Anzo

Aqo wrote:

Ever stopped to think about this, anyone?

Its MUSIC~~
/thread
djjsixpack

Aqo wrote:

Ever stopped to think about this, anyone?

Tons of great music, and I just simply like playing the game. Also I haven't hit my highest goal, which is pass freedom dive before I quit :P.
Pizzicato
this game is like crack
XPJ38

KRZY wrote:

owc sole reason for now
This.

And because I sometimes find new music I enjoy playing with.
Winshley
Games are meant to kill your time when you're bored, and this is one of the game I find enjoyable to play on to begin with.

In some cases, I do have some personal goals as well, though they're just the side reason.
Lance
I keep playing because I've been playing for a while and think it'd be a waste to stop after so much time invested in getting better. I certainly don't enjoy osu! as much as I did the first year or so that I played it, but it's like the honeymoon of any relationship. Now osu! has just become the daily bread and butter.
Silvero_old
Cause its fun to play osu, together with my friends :) :)
Yarissa
I play this game mostly because I am really competetive and love to try and beat my friends. I always set goals for myself, such as to beat one friend, or to highscore a particular map, or master a particular playstyle. Right now my current goals are to get top 50, learn full area tablet, make myself well known as one of the better osu! players, and get 2,000 RWBO. These goals will be for when I return from my trip from Southeast Asia.
ryza
aqo this thread is garbage

I still play because circles make me wet
Yarissa

Silynn wrote:

...me too...
silmarilen

Silynn wrote:

aqo this thread is garbage

qft
winber1

silmarilen wrote:

qft
qft
Thatgooey
Hardest game that I have ever come across anywhere. Don't have to rely on a team, or anyone else for that matter. Just you vs the game. No excuses. It's about seeing just how focused I can be, and how hard can I push myself towards perfection. Right when I get to perfection, guess what? There is a mod to increase the difficulty. Guess what happens when I am perfect with that mod finally? Another one. And by that time, there is another, harder map to challenge me. It is a very unique game that allows for growth unmatched by any other game I have played. I get that one chunk of time every day to sit down with myself and see what I can accomplish. Test myself. It's a good break from the outside influences around me, even if I am a sociable person.

I also stream over 90% of my game play, so I have video logs of my progress. I can physically see my improvement over time, which makes me feel good about myself, even if it is just clicking circles. Keeping track of your scores in the personal scores tab is nice, and you have the numbers, but actually seeing how your cursor moves around is a big tell. My play looks so much quicker and crisper compared to a few months ago when my movements were sluggish and rounded. Streaming also keeps me in check, knowing that other people are watching my progress, a healthy dose of added stress and pressure, but nothing overwhelming that would affect my daily life. I have always had this thing about me, where I will practice a certain activity/game for a few months, become quite good at it. But right when I get to that point where the next step I take is into the territory meant for only the best of the best, I find a reason to back out, or something happens. I always pick up things very fast and climb very quickly, but not with osu. I have been playing for a year now, and I am just now to that point where I step over the line, and I'm doing it for once. Haven't had something this challenging pop up before, and it is so much fun taking it on. I don't remember in my life sticking to something for this long and trying this hard. It is a valuable thing, even if it is just a stupid fucking video game where I click circles.

It's something...
Nitori
Because the more I play, the better I get, and I love seeing myself improve. Plus, I like seeing my rank increase little by little, slowly decreasing in the thousands.

And the music in osu is amazing. I probably would never have listened to so much Vocaloid if it wasn't for this game.
kriers

Thatgooey wrote:

Lots of text about experiences I can relate myself to
Totally how it went for me too.
Eventually the community also started becoming an important part that makes me want to stay here for a few more years one way or another
Bites
Because I'm not better than my brother yet.

:roll:
usa
"You'll have the fastest fingers on Earth," they said...
"Hitting jumps and streams feels better than hitting ass," they said...
ouranhshc
mapping and friends
Tanzklaue
whenever I pick up the game after a break, I get better after two days or so. that basically is the reason why I still play every now and then.

if I keep that pace I will be the next cookiezi in 5 years or so /o/
OzzyOzrock
rhythm gamer 4 lyfe #yolo
Arczii
I play because I like this game.
If I'm boring standard I can switch to other special mode.
And.. it's like listening mp3 but need to "click in time" for keep it, hehe :lol:
show more