forum

practice mapping!!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dialect
so i decided to try doing a hw styled map, and i did. the concept was mainly explored in the first few parts with the guitar. i mapped the circles to the guitar instrumental, and for the start of every 2 measures (or when you hear that one sound), each pair of circles faces vertically instead of horizontally. the circles flow in one direction, except for some circles, which flow in the other direction to give emphasis on certain sounds. and the cs is big because circle leniency. here's the map if you're curious, i kind of wanna see you guys' opinions on my attempt at concept mapping.
lewski
If the first 40 seconds were in line with the other sections in terms of intensity, you'd actually have a chance to make the concept work. Right now, you have so much movement in every direction that the circle pairs with a different orientation create little to no contrast in the movement, providing no emphasis.
Topic Starter
Dialect

lewski wrote:

If the first 40 seconds were in line with the other sections in terms of intensity, you'd actually have a chance to make the concept work. Right now, you have so much movement in every direction that the circle pairs with a different orientation create little to no contrast in the movement, providing no emphasis.
hmm i see, but the thing is, the first 40 seconds aren't even as intense (in terms of the song itself), so i tried mapping at low spacing.
lewski
your low spacing isn't very low, the first 40 seconds are an order of magnitude above the rest of the map in terms of intensity

forty seconds of continuous 1/4 jumps is hard, you just won't reach that level of intensity with the rhythm density you have in the later sections
Topic Starter
Dialect

lewski wrote:

forty seconds of continuous 1/4 jumps is hard, you just won't reach that level of intensity with the rhythm density you have in the later sections
hmm i see, but it wouldn't make sense to map the later sections with 1/4 circles because there's no rhythm to back it up. in the first 40 seconds, there was the guitar, which could back up the 1/4 circles. i mapped the sections after that like a normal map, just with increased ar and cs, because there wasn't really a sound backing them up.
lewski
yes that is why i keep telling you that the first 40 seconds are too intense