forum

Tips on making high 5* maps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ainnyyy
Hi! I want to make a beatmap as a surprise for my boyfriend, but he plays 5-6* and I mostly play 3-4*s and only kinda understand how to make maps around that skill level. If I could get some tips even some examples on how to do this it would be very much appreciated <3
WhateverComic07
I'm not sure how much help this is, but here are some ideas.

1. Try making a mid 4* with denser rhythms, larger jumps, and higher slider velocity.
Here are some examples with both 4* and 5-6* diffs if you want them:
beatmapsets/113398#osu/541797
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/762232#osu/1602633

2. You could go for much less natural movement when making the map. This wouldn't necessarily affect star difficulty, but there is some flexibility in star difficulty. You could try a relatively jumpy map with very uncomfortable jumps. The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is this, but even that could be made more uncomfortable:
beatmapsets/786689#osu/1651309

I'm still relatively new to mapping so take my advice with a grain of salt, there might be some stuff on YouTube that could help (Pishifat is great for beginning mapping, but his advice is general and I've found it best applied to around 4* diffs).

Hope this helps.
Topic Starter
Ainnyyy
Alright, thank you so much! I've already watched a couple of Phishifat. Although what do you mean by denser rhythm?
WhateverComic07
By denser rythem, I mean maybe mapping more 1/4 gaps than 1/2 gaps. (I wouldn't try 1/8 for beginning except for the non click portions of sliders such as ends and bounces)
Lights
I have no useful advice for you, but thats a really sweet thing to do for your boyfriend. I'm sure he'll love it.
Topic Starter
Ainnyyy

WhateverComic07 wrote:

By denser rythem, I mean maybe mapping more 1/4 gaps than 1/2 gaps. (I wouldn't try 1/8 for beginning except for the non click portions of sliders such as ends and bounces)
Ah okay, I think I'm already doing this I'll continue sticking with this till I get better. Thank you!

Lights wrote:

I have no useful advice for you, but thats a really sweet thing to do for your boyfriend. I'm sure he'll love it.
Thank you, this really made me smile! <3
Asphiee
Go for it gurl.
Dialect
first, aweee that's really wholesome!!

second, if i'm focusing on a certain sr, i use high velocity sliders, with 1/4 jumps. usually i map in a double bpm style, so. but in your case, i'll assume you're mapping a 175 bpm song. usually the difficulty comes from the chrous section (specifically the 1-2 part). add highly spaced (but comfortable) jumps to increase difficulty. you can also map in a smaller cs than the recommended 4.
WhateverComic07
I'm curious, might I ask what song is being mapped?
Topic Starter
Ainnyyy

MinNin wrote:

first, aweee that's really wholesome!!

second, if i'm focusing on a certain sr, i use high velocity sliders, with 1/4 jumps. usually i map in a double bpm style, so. but in your case, i'll assume you're mapping a 175 bpm song. usually the difficulty comes from the chrous section (specifically the 1-2 part). add highly spaced (but comfortable) jumps to increase difficulty. you can also map in a smaller cs than the recommended 4.
Thank you <3 I'm working on a new map and I'll try experiment with this

WhateverComic07 wrote:

I'm curious, might I ask what song is being mapped?
This is his favorite song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YF8vecQWYs