forum

HD/custom resolution skins [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,174
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
With the advent of monitor-based retina technology, and the increasingly popular 1080p display resolution, it would seem like a really good idea to turn things up a notch and upgrade the visual clarity of osu!. And by that, I mean increase the resolution standards of the osu! skins, because as things currently stand, there isn't much of a point to playing osu! at a larger resolution other than having the font appear smoother.

Right now, and for as long as I can remember, osu! skins have revolved around a base resolution consisting of 768 vertical lines. Now, for your typical 1080p screen, that means that most skin elements will be upscaled by over 40% - and even more if it's a larger resolution. This upscaling is especially evident on maps with XL hitcircles, and on newly appearing approach circles. Full screen bitmaps could also use a resolution bump, such as spinner components.

Now, the obvious solution to this is to create another variable in skin.ini to indicate HD skin status. But let's take things a little further and add an optional VerticalResolution value, to enable skins of any resolution. Basically what this can do now, is take a larger-sized skin element, and scale it proportionately to its proper ingame size (for example, a 1080p skin element which is 40% larger in resolution would be mapped to a polygon the same size as the corresponding standard resolution skin element). This allows us to make skins of any resolution, giving osu! maximal flexibility.
If a VerticalResolution value is not given, a default can be 1080p. And if the HD boolean field is not present in the skin.ini file, then it defaults to false, or just standard 768p resolution.

I know that it will amount to quite a lot of reworking of osu!'s rendering engine, but let's face it, times are changing, and technology's advancing. I'm not trying to make this an ultra-high priority request, but this game is over 5 years old now, and in that time the graphical quality of games have escalated immensely. osu! isn't a massive graphical masterpiece, but the visual improvement would still be very much welcome, especially for future upgrades (oh boy).

And yeah I know I know, you're gonna be all like "Oh hurr what about all the craptops that can barely handle osu! right now at 30 FPS D:". First and foremost, this is, for the most part, an option to give osu! the flexibility to look more sexy. But to prevent an onslaught of HD skins, what we can do is enforce a rule for skinners to also upload a standard-definition skin, for those who don't have big enough screens or enough system resources. Hell, with custom resolution skins, we can even make ultra high-performance skins at sub-standard resolutions (perhaps for the economically challenged at 640x480) for a bit of a boost performance-wise.

Another thing to help integration is if we can get some skinners to get some HD skins prepared first. As a matter of fact, for the ones who have vector-based project files, it can be as simple as re-exporting everything at a higher resolution, however it may take a little longer for other people to get their skins sorted out.
But yeah, that'll be all for now. Holy crap this is probably the longest post I've ever written.

Obligatory tl;dr: osu! needs HD skins
Lunhui
go Peppy. CryEngine.

Anyway .. I like the idea :D
+ support [but no stars T_T]
jemhuntr
me wants to make HD skin and play osu on the 1080p tv~ support~~
Drafura
Support.
mm201
Planned.
Lunhui
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
Oh. Cool~ :D
Nessuka
yay
Kuro
Wow, instant support and then assigned. You're a f**king genius Kitsunemimi 8-)
H_Hitachiin
That was a quick request XD
Tanomoshii Nekojou
+ 1 Hidden Star~.... Support~ :D :D :D :D
Winshley
How about including both standard and HD skin elements together? This would benefit both the low-end and high-end PC owners without having to switch skins back and forth (though... at the cost of their disk space).

I also would like to see both widescreen and non-widescreen skin elements (notably the HP bar length and possibly the whole result screen).

/supports without star orz

P.S: On additional note, once HD skin is available, update current osu! default skin into updater as well.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
Those are sort of good ideas, althought they would make the osu! folder completely messy and it would just be stupid. You wouldn't even need the two, because if your computer could handle the HD skin, then why would you want to move down to SD? Plus, the naming scheme for the standard and HD elements would make things less flexible, because it would suggest to people that you can only have SD and HD variants of your skin, whereas in reality you can have as many as you want, in the form of separate skins.
Also for the widescreen/non-widescreen, that's a completely different request from this, and it builds on your idea from earlier (of having everything in the same folder which is messy) so that isn't really any good. Besides, it doesn't even apply to all the skin elements. Plus, you can already make the HP bar as long as you like, try some skinning some time.

Come to think of it, I should probably calculate the 1080p resolutions of all the skin elements for future reference, but it's kind of late so I guess I'll do that later.
Archangel Tirael
HD? HD for wimps! 8K UHD (4320p or 7680×4320) up to 20 percent cooler!!! :D
WUT?.. Tira, what did you say?
I want try it! I wonder how much the game would consume memory in this case? ;3
Saten
What about High-res Backgrounds?

I play in 1080p and the background is only 1024x768 as max.
Well most stuff is kinda hard to find with a high resolution though.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi

Saten wrote:

In theory, you can have the background whatever resolution you want already (it gets scaled to your screen, but there's no loss in the quality afaik). But in order to have over 1024x768 for map backgrounds, you'll have to change the ranking guidelines for that...

EDIT: stupid new page
Saten
Yeah that's what I meant
You can always use bigger than 1024x768, but that wouldn't be allowed with the current ranking guidelines.

And if you use osu! to add/change BG, it'll scale it down to 1024x768 if the aspect ratio is 4:3.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi

Saten wrote:

And if you use osu! to add/change BG, it'll scale it down to 1024x768 if the aspect ratio is 4:3.
Oh my god it does. And it even jpg's it!

....Bleh, well at least it doesn't do this for storyboards (*is currently making a 1080p sb*)
D33d

mm201 wrote:

Planned.
Will this come with a bit of visual polish to the default skin? I want it shiny!
peppy
Please don't use assigned unless you have actually started work on it :p.
jemhuntr
lol is there no [planned] tag? xD
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
Apparently not.
Saten
Isn't the bubble enough?
jemhuntr
yeah I guess it is xD
mm201

peppy wrote:

Wasn't me. I just added the bubble icon.

Converting the default skin will be a huge undertaking since not all graphical resources are vector. Adding support for hi-res custom skins is much simpler and will probably be done using the Apple-style @2x naming convention to control how pixels are scaled.
Nessuka

mm201 wrote:

peppy wrote:

Wasn't me. I just added the bubble icon.

Converting the default skin will be a huge undertaking since not all graphical resources are vector. Adding support for hi-res custom skins is much simpler and will probably be done using the Apple-style @2x naming convention to control how pixels are scaled.
If I remember right, peppy did say he wanted at some point to overhaul and modernize the 'default' skin for the game.

So yeah, I suppose both things should be implemented in the same update, work on a newer HD skin first though obviously.
DJKero
Support! want 1080p!
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
Hmm, now that I think about it...

Saten wrote:

With the recent introduction of the widescreen bgs, this would be a pretty good idea. Perhaps if that doesn't fit in this request, we can have another thread for that?
GamepartnersTV
Supported! :)
GeGGuli
Just changed to 1080p and realized how huge visual update it would be if this request is fullfilled.
Full support.

EDIT: Also, would it require multiple hitcircle skins for different sizes of hitcircles?
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
Currently, circles are scaled automatically to their proper sizes, and the default skin proportions make it so that upscaling isn't apparent until you get to XL circles or larger *cough*circlesize2*cough*
Jenny
Sorta reminds me of my request to make all skinelements animatable - would be nice if these could go along.

t/84972 for those who are wondering
Winshley

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Currently, circles are scaled automatically to their proper sizes, and the default skin proportions make it so that upscaling isn't apparent until you get to XL circles or larger *cough*circlesize2*cough*
The largest you can get is to set HD resolution and CS0. To set CS0, you might need to edit the .osu file internally, or using these maps as example.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi

Winshley wrote:

Kitsunemimi wrote:

The largest you can get is to set HD resolution and CS0. To set CS0, you might need to edit the .osu file internally, or using these maps as example.
Since that involves external intervention, we don't necessarily need to consider that sort of situation. Because then that would mean we'd have to revise the skin's circle size and that could cause all sorts of complications and blahblahblahblah
peppy
Double resolution skinning is now supported. Simply provide files with @2x suffix as you normally would. You still need to provide a standard resolution version too.

Example:
hit300g.png (300x300)
hit300g@2x.png (600x600)

High resolution sprites are used for resolutions 1600x and higher. Available on test build for testing currently.
Flanster
Awesome :D
Winshley

peppy wrote:

High resolution sprites are used for resolutions 1600x and higher. Available on test build for testing currently.
Shouldn't this be height-related instead of width-related though?
peppy
Not really. Anything above x768 can benefit from higher resolution textures, and all resolutions (widescreen or not) above 1600x are at least 1050 high.

May change in the future depending on feedback, but fine for now.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
Hooray :D
Thanks for adding this~
Winshley

peppy wrote:

Not really. Anything above x768 can benefit from higher resolution textures, and all resolutions (widescreen or not) above 1600x are at least 1050 high.
You mean at least 900 high. :P

What about 1280×960? I probably might see that happening on users playing with 1280×1024 monitors, especially when I personally use that monitor as well. Additionally, there's some monitors with native resolution of 1440×900. These are monitor resolutions (on common older monitors) that might not be getting HD resolution skins. A less common monitor resolution would be 1400×1050 (found on this monitor).

I'm picking cases on monitors which has the height of more than 768 with the width below 1600, because the default resolution skin is optimized for 1024×768.

(I also am using a laptop with native resolution of 1280×800, but the difference probably might not be noticeable anyway. :P)
TheVileOne
Do you think we'll be able to include HD skins in beatmaps and be able to choose whether to dl HD version or not?
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi

TheVileOne wrote:

Do you think we'll be able to include HD skins in beatmaps and be able to choose whether to dl HD version or not?
That's actually a pretty good idea, I kinda like this.

But if this doesn't appear, or it gets ignored, then you can make another thread for that.
Jenny
Now I just need someone to make all my skin's elements twice as big without screwing them up @_@
Nessuka

Jenny wrote:

Now I just need someone to make all my skin's elements twice as big without screwing them up @_@
And that's why Adobe blessed us with the ever so useful .psd format. :J
[Dellirium]

TheVileOne wrote:

And what about storyboard elements...
peppy
For now this is standard skins only. I will consider adding it for beatmap skins/storybaords at a later point.
My1_old

Ijah wrote:

Jenny wrote:

And that's why Adobe blessed us with the ever so useful .psd format. :J
and xcf for gimp...
Darkimmortal

peppy wrote:

May change in the future depending on feedback, but fine for now.
What about 1440x1080?

A config override would be wonderful