forum

Featured Artist - What songs can I use + getting permission to use other songs.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Biird Up
Couple of Q's for complete noob..

-Am I free to map any song by a featured artist or just the ones that are listed on their featured artist section ?

-When it comes to getting permission from an artist to use a track whats a good guideline of what/how to ask ?

-What can I safely classify as "free use" music and use without having to ask permission ?

Thanks in advance
lewski
1. the ones listed

2. "can i map this song in osu"

3. music where it's explicitly stated you can use it somewhere, for example a youtube description
Ephemeral
Any track on a given artist's Featured Artist listing is officially licensed by osu! and 100% okay to use for making beatmaps with, no questions asked.

Most artists will make it pretty clear if they're okay with their tracks being used elsewhere. If not, Bandcamp "contact me" links is a good way to get in touch with a lot of artists, as is social media (Twitter, Soundcloud, Facebook, etc).

Creative Commons licenses (CC BY, CC BY-SA, CC BY-NC, CC BY-NC-SA) are all pretty much completely compatible with osu!, as are any tracks that have the artist outright say they're okay with it being used elsewhere. A lot of Rameses B's work for example (maps like Flaklypa from the Russ EP) is CC licensed and we've bundled them with the game in the past.
Topic Starter
Biird Up

lewski wrote:

1. the ones listed

2. "can i map this song in osu"

3. music where it's explicitly stated you can use it somewhere, for example a youtube description

Ephemeral wrote:

Any track on a given artist's Featured Artist listing is officially licensed by osu! and 100% okay to use for making beatmaps with, no questions asked.

Most artists will make it pretty clear if they're okay with their tracks being used elsewhere. If not, Bandcamp "contact me" links is a good way to get in touch with a lot of artists, as is social media (Twitter, Soundcloud, Facebook, etc).

Creative Commons licenses (CC BY, CC BY-SA, CC BY-NC, CC BY-NC-SA) are all pretty much completely compatible with osu!, as are any tracks that have the artist outright say they're okay with it being used elsewhere. A lot of Rameses B's work for example (maps like Flaklypa from the Russ EP) is CC licensed and we've bundled them with the game in the past.

Thankyou for taking the time to answer, I have a much clearer understanding of what I can and cannot use now, cheers!