forum

[Proposal] Explicitly state that custom visual elements don't apply to visual rules

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker
Going from this, it is implied that storyboards don't apply to visual rules, but there is nothing in ranking criteria explicitly stating that. For example, take this proposed rule in the linked thread:

Rule wrote:

Every slider must have a clear travel speed from start to end. Sliders that speed up or slow down without naturally matching changes in their sliderbody and sliders whose individual sections are unreadable cannot be used.

If you having arrows indicating slider speed in storyboard, then arguably sliders can have a clear travel speed. Custom skins might also abuse this somehow, but I can't think of a good example as of writing this.

I propose the following rule to clear this up:
Rules regarding to visual clarity of patterns pertain only to appearance of the patterns using default skin. Storyboards and custom skins don't count as making patterns clearer.
clayton
+0.5 ,feels kinda useless but I suppose rules are rules and should be made painfully clear like this.
Naxess
I'm not sure this is actually necessary for the vast majority of cases, and in the few cases it is (where someone does this and tries to rank it), it's easy enough to come to the conclusion that it isn't going to work if the SB is dimmed or disabled (which it usually is). Besides that I'm not really sure where something like this would fit in, since it just explains assumptions other rules work off of, and isn't really a rule in itself.
pishifat
everything naxess said sums up what i'd have to say about this

it shouldn't be necessary becasue nobody nowadays tries this and if they do, they'll be shot down. if someone legitimately tries to do this, we can look into how to enforce that they don't
clayton
the example in OP is kinda out-there but I don't think it's a bad clarification to make. it just tells you how to read RC, similar to the function of Scaling_BPM