forum

anime being considered a norm in society

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jowsh
What are your thoughts on anime being considered as something normal in society?

What I mean by this is like how people used to be bullied before for liking anime, but now anime is starting to be something that is considered as cool and good.

I personally like this change since it exposes more people to anime which would open them to a more diverse set of media. Genres like isekai, shounen, and fantasy are not as prolific in western media as they are in anime. Not to mention that the notion of "it's a cartoon, so it's for kids" would slowly die off.
Dialect
honestly, i don't really care about anime being a norm. however, i'm one of the only kids in school who actually watches a lot of anime, and it'd be weird for people i never even knew to start coming up to me and start talking about how rwby is considered an anime when it isn't.
Hydreigon
i guess it's fine...? I mean i don't and other people really get bullied or teased that i watched anime nowadays or even before and most people treat it with respect that if you watch a certain anime or something, and i also dont really expect to see any change if anime becomes really popular (Except for a rise in stock of waifu body pillows lol)

jowsh wrote:

Not to mention that the notion of "it's a cartoon, so it's for kids" would slowly die off.

It already died, there are many R rated animations in the west and around the world.

EDIT: Though I'm more worried that become anime so norm that people will bully/hate you if you dislike a certain anime, i have seen so many people going full psychopath mode when someone dislikes a certain episode of Naruto or something.
vishal Ajisai
should never be a norm.
MrsLenKagamine
Yes it's a norm on the internet, but I still get bullied at school for liking it... ;(
haha i rolypoly
eh im fine with it growing lol
Asphiee
well i get y'all. the "sense of exclusivity" which makes that hobby of watching anime special and all and you don't want someone coming up to you and say "im otaku, i love jojo and naruto"... but its time to grow up with that kind of mindset, i personally think that anime being accepted more and well-received by the majority is good tho, theres always one of the anime fanatic out there that doesn't want to feel crushed by the norms and standard of the society which was the case in our country for the past decades. back then it was very weird to have anime as your hobby but at the same time it feels special, like your living in another world but butterflies and rainbows start to fade as soon you lately realize you're being left out and disassociated with a force called "society" and a person can only endure so much of it. that's why i was kinda glad that anime was slowly getting more recognized by every person here in our country is a good occurence, like a person who doesn't even watch anime regularly or hardly watch it knows / watched kimetsu no yaiba, koe no katachi, attack on titan, sao, etc... the border that separates the weaboo and a regular person is gradually fading.

just imagine, if you're a guy and kpop wasnt even a thing globally and someone caught you watching so some skinny, well-figured dudes or a bunch of cute and cheerful girls dancing and saying some alien stuff.... that's what it feels like...
Topic Starter
jowsh

Hydreigon wrote:

jowsh wrote:

Not to mention that the notion of "it's a cartoon, so it's for kids" would slowly die off.
It already died, there are many R rated animations in the west and around the world.
Not necessarily. You're focusing too much on the literal meaning of it's for kids. When things are animated it used to be generally assumed that there wouldn't be any deep plot lines or compelling characters. This is obviously not the case when it comes to most anime. While there may be some series that have a much lighter story, a really big amount of series have really some really captivating stories and arcs. Series such as Death Parade, Psycho Pass and Inuyashiki, all deal with profound topics of morality. While series such as Made in Abyss, and The Promised Neverland are both shown to have a very child-friendly facade while the main story points that happen throughout the plot are anything but.

To me, the whole stigma of 'animation is for kids' won't really go away unless it's shown to more people that anime, and, more generally, animation have great potential for a unique type of story telling. The spectrum of emotions and how you express them are all different for the kind of media that is used to convey that story.

In 2d animation, you don't get the subtleties of the facial movements that actors have, nor do you get the smoothness from professional 3d animation. What you do get from 2d animation, however, is a much differently expressive style of conveying emotion in a medium. This is most seen in shows like Ping Pong the animation, or the new Kimetsu no Yaiba. These shows have very distinct art styles with ping pong having a very raw and unfiltered lineart style where you can see every detail that the animators put in to the characters. This style lends itself to be a good vessel when it comes to conveying a sense of great motion and emotion.This whole janky style isn't something that everyone might like but it is something that I personally adore. In the case of Kimetsu no Yaiba, The thick lines help in giving the viewer a sense of depth adding yet another layer to help distinguish the foreground from the background. With it being made by UFOtable, there are some sequences that are extremely well made that would otherwise be impossible to replicate were it a live action show.

This brings me to the topic of live action adaptations. The thing that disney is slyly putting in the notion that a live action or 3d movie is much better than the original 2d animated one. For me this is most shown with the movie The Lion King. I was really jarring for me to see hyper-realistic animals sing with human voices while their faces are completely stiff. This was most seen with Pumbaa and Simba. Every time they'd speak I'd fall into a state of disbelief, the bad kind, since it felt as if they had disembodied voices that didn't at all match what they looked like in appearance. Not only that, but doing all of these adaptations is depriving the new generation of kids of any good 2d animated movies.

Going back to the topic of anime being a norm in society.

I don't think it'll ever be a complete norm in society just like how it's not that common to find people reading novels all that often. At most it'll be something that everyone's heard of but not something that everyone is engaged in. This much is obvious. I'd have to agree with Asphyre on what he said. Liking anime is cool and all but it sucks that you'd be considered a bit differently just because you decided to watch japanese animated media instead of western live-action comedies.

Over here in the Philippines, it's starting to get some traction and has been a pretty big part of the modern social landscape for the past decade. One of my favorite factoids is that the country where anime is searched for the most is the Philippines. Whichever friend group you're in, you're bound to find at least one person who's kinda into anime. Not only that, but anime conventions have been a thing for quite a while already, and those are always a good thing when it comes to being an anime fan. You get to meet new people, buy actual merch, and feel included in a much bigger community than you've ever been part of.

Whatever the case is. I still think that the propagation of anime in the more general culture of people is a win-win. Weebs get to feel less ostracized, and more people are getting exposed to a new type of media.
Chiru-kun
socially, its great that its acceptable, and that over here at us we at least know in school who the with quotes "otakus" are (go PH hahaha) and we already get along well. i kinda resonate with the "exclusivity" idea but imo its ok either way. there's some doubt in me that it will be appreciated by everyone as the current community does now, but surely it is already accepted. so imo its fine to leave it alone.

if it becomes big such that paid streaming services is something beneficial for all including translators and animators themselves AND is something which fans are comfortable to subscribe to or have their parents subscribe to for them, then that would be amazing. please Pilipinas more variety in manga stores? :3 HAHAHA mangarock kasi eh :<
Dialect
imo i think that it'd be hard for older people to get into anime, because australians have a senator who thinks anime = cp, when they've only watched eromanga sensei and goblin slayer. every anime is different. doraemon is definitely not on the same vein as something like eromanga sensei or ueno-san. and anime style won't always be considered anime, and i think people should know that. rwby isn't an anime, but aggretsuko is, like that. the problem with people who aren't into anime is that they've only seen the edgy stuff, and haven't seen anything tame (like ccs), so they base their explanations off of watching eromanga sensei without getting the full story. now anime isn't for everyone. some people can't get into it because of the style itself, and that's fine aswell. i personally really like the style since anime girls > real girls
TrI0stan
Well, it’s nice people accept it but I’d rather get bullied for liking it than have a bunch of fake anime fans