forum

Do I have to use a music that is on YouTube/any platform?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
c0ldman
Hello everyone,
I want to use a music from the game Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number. The problem is this music only exists in "full version", not in short version. My question is: can I use a music that I personally edited to make it a short version to create a map, or is it supposed to be uploaded and "famous" on YouTube, Spotify, Deezer...?

Thank you and see you on the forum!
Chiru-kun
no.
you can use even the most obscure of songs, and in ALMOST ALL cases you'll be fine.

i'm not ranking criteria expert, but here are points i remember from community discussion:
you can also edit them, as long as "the essence" of the song is retained. check the general discussion on beatmapsets/1131025.
in SOME VERY SPECIAL cases, this can happen: beatmapsets/90784#osu/246280. but this only happens on publicly known maps like ranked and loved. but through the community, it can still be downloaded (check the comments, theres a download link lol)
Topic Starter
c0ldman
So i can do it! Thank you very much! But how did this map get undownloadable on the official osu! site?
lewski
cause the artist didn't want their song to be in osu
TicClick

c0ldman wrote:

So i can do it! Thank you very much! But how did this map get undownloadable on the official osu! site?

legal/copyright

in short, osu! assumes that you (generic "you") have right to use and redistribute content you upload to the web site. of course, for a vast majority of audios, videos, hit samples and other graphical content it is not true, but osu! as an organization has neither means nor time to check all of it.

instead, osu! says that any copyright holder who believes their work was illegitimately used can file a DMCA notice, where they specify exact locations (URLs) the offending content is hosted at, and that the said content will be taken down, given that the claim sender is in legal power to ask for that (they either hold the copyright, or represent someone who does).
Topic Starter
c0ldman
Ok, I understood! Well, thank you to all of you 3 for your answers
andreapietro001

c0ldman wrote:

Hello everyone,
I want to use a music from the game Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number. The problem is this music only exists in "full version", not in short version. My question is: can I use a music that I personally edited to make it a short version to create a map, or is it supposed to be uploaded and "famous" on YouTube, Spotify, Deezer...?

No you can not. The song is most likely covered by copyright. Essentially if you use a song that is covered by copyright the author can report you
64wood
awesome
Topic Starter
c0ldman

andreapietro001 wrote:

c0ldman wrote:

Hello everyone,

No you can not. The song is most likely covered by copyright. Essentially if you use a song that is covered by copyright the author can report you

I think you didn't get what I was trying to say. The main problem is not the copyright, I mean, if my map gets shut down, well, at least I would have tried. The main problem is I wanna use a music but it doesn't exist in Short version. My question is, can you use a music that is not on YouTube? For example one you 100% created? But thank you for trying to answer my question.

64wood wrote:

awesome

Awesowome :3
andreapietro001

c0ldman wrote:

andreapietro001 wrote:

c0ldman wrote:

Hello everyone,

I think you didn't get what I was trying to say. The main problem is not the copyright, I mean, if my map gets shut down, well, at least I would have tried. The main problem is I wanna use a music but it doesn't exist in Short version. My question is, can you use a music that is not on YouTube? For example one you 100% created? But thank you for trying to answer my question.

64wood wrote:

awesome

How I wrote to you depends on the song. If it has copyright you cannot if it does not you can. If you create a song you can do whatever you want
Topic Starter
c0ldman

andreapietro001 wrote:

c0ldman wrote:

andreapietro001 wrote:

c0ldman wrote:

Hello everyone,

64wood wrote:

awesome

How I wrote to you depends on the song. If it has copyright you cannot if it does not you can. If you create a song you can do whatever you want

Ok, well thank you for everything!