forum

mappers, what do you do while slumped?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chiru-kun
im 2 years in.
after the third map im proud of, i feel like im unable to map in the same way anymore. i developed a liking to a style vastly different from the past three, but i cant seem to map it the way i want.

right now, im trying to map in that desired style but for what came out of the 20 second segment, half of it is good and half (the more continuous part and is therefore more important) is kinda bad. ill try fixing it though.

i have a couple of inspirations to take from though for that newly liked style. im gonna have to start downloading, but i know where to look.

is there anything for me worth knowing while i try to fix this? no, actually, in general, have you felt somewhat like this before?
foss
regarding style change, i wouldn't say it's worth worrying about unless you outright stop focusing on representing the music. if you feel this new style is positive personal growth in your journey as a mapper, then definitely be intentional about pursuing that to the fullest. but if you feel like you lost inspiration or something; hence "slumped," then that's a clear sign that you should definitely explore areas outside of your current "mapping comfort zone." for example, if you often map jpop music, try rock/metal, BMS, classical, or "technical songs" (wub maps) to broaden your horizons and bring all kinds of skillsets back to your beatmapping toolbox to ultimately utilize in mapping the music that fires you up. vice versa.

as artists, (yes mapping in osu is indeed the finest of fine arts), we go through all kinds of style changes, evolution, and progression. it's pretty hard to avoid this entirely, but it's not like you can't take ownership and pursue what you believe in too. just find your balance so you can keep growing in ways that you will look back on and be thankful for, regardless of if the journey to get there was full of uncomfortable change and most likely, some slumps along the way. there's highs and lows throughout every avenue in life. but what's important is that you never lose sight of your goals and keep pursuing that invaluable personal growth.

just my two cents, but hopefully that added some value to ya. wish u the best my dude o/
Topic Starter
Chiru-kun
thanks. ill try it out.
Asphiee
Such words of wisdom.
<---- Just what this mapper who keeps losing motivation needs.
Cheers!!!