forum

Tips on getting through tough areas?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sunbather
Recently as I have been playing osu!mania again, I noticed that many 4*+ have some really tough sections in some parts of the song. I almost never have enough stamina or endurance to power through them, hindering my ability to play maps above 5 stars. Any tips on increasing my endurance?
Lights
Consider giving the 3star range a bit more practice before you try to go past that. You've got some nice scores, but a lot of low As on 4star maps (which you generally want to avoid going for).

Personally I'd recommend collecting more S-ranks on 3.5-4 stars for a bit, that should help you transition into the higher intensity of 4star charts more easily than just trying to mash them out. Longer charts are also better if stamina is your concern. Stamina comes with time, especially when you're trying to make yourself go faster.

You seem relatively fluent in the 2.5-3.5star range, but don't be afraid to work on those scores too, you'll have a lot easier of a time securing a variety of higher-speed S-ranks if you've mastered all the slower stuff.

EDIT: I see you play a bit of 7key. I do not play that mode, so take anything i tell you with a big grain of salt.
nadavv

Lights wrote:

Consider giving the 3star range a bit more practice before you try to go past that. You've got some nice scores, but a lot of low As on 4star maps (which you generally want to avoid going for).

Personally I'd recommend collecting more S-ranks on 3.5-4 stars for a bit, that should help you transition into the higher intensity of 4star charts more easily than just trying to mash them out. Longer charts are also better if stamina is your concern. Stamina comes with time, especially when you're trying to make yourself go faster.

You seem relatively fluent in the 2.5-3.5star range, but don't be afraid to work on those scores too, you'll have a lot easier of a time securing a variety of higher-speed S-ranks if you've mastered all the slower stuff.

EDIT: I see you play a bit of 7key. I do not play that mode, so take anything i tell you with a big grain of salt.

theres nothing wrong with A ranks in my opinion 90-96 area is the best for sheer improvement. play more 4* and eventually youll make it
Lights

nadavv wrote:

Lights wrote:

theres nothing wrong with A ranks in my opinion 90-96 area is the best for sheer improvement. play more 4* and eventually youll make it

90-95 is pretty poor in terms of accuracy, those scores are attainble via just mashing patterns. It won't help much with building consistency. The only thing youll improve going for A ranks is maybe your speed, and theres a lot more to overall improvement than just going fast.
[Crz]Swinux

Lights wrote:

nadavv wrote:

Lights wrote:

90-95 is pretty poor in terms of accuracy, those scores are attainble via just mashing patterns. It won't help much with building consistency. The only thing youll improve going for A ranks is maybe your speed, and theres a lot more to overall improvement than just going fast.

Mashing don't work unless you are playing c18 LMAO. But regardless A rank is fine for your stage cuz you are trying to expose yourself to different patterns and sticking with manageable maps are hard to make you improve very fast. So yeah I will say play all kind of map and if you cannot manage some map just play half time first and don't play too much. If u get too used to a map you will suck at it, at least for me.
Lights

Swinux wrote:

a bunch of questionable/bad advice

Big disagree on A rank being fine. 90-95% is very sloppy. It is very much just mashing, you don't even need to try to work on your MA or PA to get an A-rank. You barely need to hit the patterns. It might be okay for building speed, but youll do nothing else and a less experienced player may build bad habits.
abraker
96%+ is what should be considered good. Come on, people.

To be fair mashing is thing with more denser stuff due to hit window overlap. It's hard to mash when notes are sufficiently spaced apart.
Topic Starter
sunbather

Lights wrote:

Swinux wrote:

Big disagree on A rank being fine. 90-95% is very sloppy. It is very much just mashing, you don't even need to try to work on your MA or PA to get an A-rank. You barely need to hit the patterns. It might be okay for building speed, but youll do nothing else and a less experienced player may build bad habits.
I mostly bash through the vibro parts of the map, since many 4.5*+ often have more than 1 'vibro part.' I get the patterns mostly right, but the vibro is really the one affecting my already bad accuracy. No matter how fast I bash through the dense vibro parts, they always end up missing. I don't know if it's my equipment, or just overall skill.
Lights

hered1ty wrote:

Lights wrote:

Swinux wrote:

I mostly bash through the vibro parts of the map, since many 4.5*+ often have more than 1 'vibro part.' I get the patterns mostly right, but the vibro is really the one affecting my already bad accuracy. No matter how fast I bash through the dense vibro parts, they always end up missing. I don't know if it's my equipment, or just overall skill.
Most 4star maps dont have anything that could be considered vibro and mashing is something you'll want to avoid. Those patterns are usually very readable and playable without vibro-mashing them. but to get to the point where you can do that, its much more easily done by playing what you can read and trying to maintain consistent accuracy on what you can play. You'll save yourself from a lot of accuracy problems on higher difficulty levels if you fully develop your fundamentals now instead of trying to skip ahead to faster and denser maps
osuproroblox
Mash. Just mash. I do 5 stars in mania by mashing and I get a good amount of accuracy. Only mash if you know when to mash, if you know what I mean.
Lights

osuproroblox wrote:

Mash. Just mash. I do 5 stars in mania by mashing and I get a good amount of accuracy. Only mash if you know when to mash, if you know what I mean.
whatever you do, don't do this.

EDIT: Mashing does nothing for your skill development, hinders your ability to play accurately if you do it too often, and sets scores that you'll struggle to beat (due to being obtained mostly from lucky pattern manipulation). If you're just playing for PP, then mash away, but eventually youll hit a wall in terms of getting better and better scores from mashing and you'll have to go back and actually learn to play faster and denser patterns accurately.

Its much more beneficial to learn to play a pattern correctly from the start and leave the mashing for noobs that don't know any better.
[LS]PositoniX
what i do is edit the beatmap to only include the areas i struggle with. then i use the tool linked at the end of this post and change the rate to the lowest i can to easily, then go up in increments of 0.05 until 1. i keep practicing the rates i struggle with until i can do it on normal speed. if you're running into a specific map you're determined to beat, this is useful. if you're finding tough spots in every map that you play then you should reassess your star range.

tool: community/forums/topics/640981?n=58

osuproroblox wrote:

im begging you not to do this