forum

Why does it feel like there is a lack of variety in the ranked section?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mendozer
I’ve been looking for some new ranked beatmaps to enjoy, but it sort of annoys me when I just see the same mapping style, the same genres, and the same subject matter of the beatmap itself.
I’ve been mapping for 7 months so far and I’ve always had this question flying around in my head
TheKingHenry
ancient laws of supply and demand (people play x kind of maps -> people map x kind of maps), generalized thoughts of what is "good" or whatever other chaos theories you want to summon

all the possible generic content aside (what I mentioned above does exist to some degree I guess), variety in all things you mentioned DOES exist in some amounts too, and if you aren't finding any, you just probably aren't looking hard enough ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

basically, if you don't like the mainstream stuff, there is no need to look at it, just hit up the more obscure stuff instead

on the other hand, if you want to make the more obscure stuff more normal (EDIT: more common maybe better wording), that's a bit higher hurdle than just "hey can we do this"; basically see my first comments I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if this is more along the lines of "I'd like to see stuff like this", then it's good that you've been mapping yourself, since things like that are essentially up to your own work. Personally I've been working on seeing more metal around throughout my time here, and I'm fairly satisfied with the way things are on that end of the genre spectrum these days. Not that my efforts amount to much though

also

Mendozer wrote:

same subject matter of the beatmap itself.

what does this even mean :thonk:
foss
yea that was one of the first things i noticed in this game when downloading maps and observing the general trend that made up the majority of them; thus, be the change you want to see in the world.

aye, you're doing great work there henry. in fact, you add so much more value than you can imagine

truly some intellectual same beatmap subject matters being discussed in here :thunk:
Chiru-kun
1. the kind of mapping you see in the ranked section more generally is easier to map and less controversial to rank. haha. ask hollow wings lol.

2. mappers who don't map for rank are not bounded by the generalizations of ranked generality.

3. new players -> exposure to the hyper submission of general maps and pp maps from some months ago -> their experience translates into the beatmaps that new gen mappers make. also i think there are more new people now who are taking over the mapping scene.

TBH its really hard to find too. even if you go scavenge things in the graveyard, everything goes to the expectation that they're in graveyard because they're bad and therefore abandoned. but SURELY there ARE some.

but the same genres? well if you're talking about anime openings then yes. there's alot.
Dialect

renzthegreat wrote:

but the same genres? well if you're talking about anime openings then yes. there's alot.

yeah. there are actually some mappers that are known for not mapping anime too often (schoolboy, bearizm, shmiklak as examples), and i think that there are more songs out there than anime openings. i've been noticing more edm songs pop up into osu! lately, especially those popularized by geometry dash (creo as an example), and i think the delay of 2.2 for 3 years is making some gd players move over to osu (like sunix). this might be a good change, as osu is gradually starting to go mainstream. it'd be nice because if the gd creators moved over to osu, they'd be interested in mapping most likely. the problem is, is that gd levels focus more on the decoration of the level, while beatmaps focus on the gameplay of the map.

so, if gd dies off, then i'm assuming gd players would move over to osu.
unri
{new mission}
Kill geometry dash.
abraker
Reposting from community/forums/posts/7440889

With respect to mapping:

If you look at the "Why do you map?" poll, a decent portion of mappers map to rank a map of a song they like (although I am making sizable assumption here that mappers still map for same reasons after 7 years). If you want to rank something with least amount of headache, you would do what works instead of try doing something that may risk ranking issues. You'd look at the recent maps that have been ranked and copy what they did. Those who pursue the "express myself artistically" route are prob likely to encounter a more rough ranked process.

With respect to genre:

If you want to see a song ranked you should rank it yourself. It's not that hard to learn to map if you try mapping lower difficulties first and not some 8 star shitmap. Understandably, issues arise when you make a decent map and run into headaches of the ranking system that I barely touched in the previous point.
Topic Starter
Mendozer
I’ve learnt that I just have social anxiety when approaching BNs - also TheKingHenry when i meant subject matter.... i meant eroge lol
Xayler
Well as most of people who play this game kinda love anime related stuff anyway, then this game is of course infested with this. There are some good edm songs here and there, but mostly they are gems in the rough.
It's kinda sad to say that map the stuff then yourself, when most of the BN's only nominate anime. That's literally why people also map more anime as well, I'm very sure of that.
DeletedUser_10198015

//my reply to this whole post

I could agree with you on same issues with me, but I find it annoying that the mapping style is mostly just of 1,2(s) and they still get ranked. I don't really understand when people really map like this as I don't find this really creative. I mean it's fine to map anime songs as if thats the point, then I don't really care, but really what I find is that the lack of creativity of MOST (not all, of course.) maps because they mostly use 1,2(s) as just a way to rank maps. Of course I wouldn't count old maps, because of course they are a OLD map. they have a different mapping style. Which is really why I dont find so many impressive beatmaps, and really the reason why I don't find Whitecat's 1,000 pp plays that impressive, because most of them are most likely short songs that were farmed like "Fiery's Extreme" for example.

//quoting some people and my response

renzthegreat wrote:

1. the kind of mapping you see in the ranked section more generally is easier to map and less controversial to rank. haha. ask hollow wings lol.

I really do agree, but I kinda find that annoying then so much so just because that so many people prefer pp, because newer players will see TOP players farming, so they'll be inspired to do so too, so that means they'll farm too.

renzthegreat wrote:

OF COURSE there 100 trillion (exaggerated, dont take it seriously) maps with this same genre of anime, but we do sometimes find different genres.

Xayler wrote:

When most of the BN's only nominate anime. That's literally why people also map more anime as well, I'm very sure of that.

YET I find this super agreeable just for the fact that so many people map animes, so really most BN(s) will switch to going for anime songs, which I find understandable, but it really leaves out other genres which kind of just irritates me a little.