forum

How do I guess the offsets of the song?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vincent1370
inb4 "Use your ears! It's not hard!" I'm not a pro mapper, hence multi-BPM maps will always sound off (Actually ALL my songs sound off all the god damn time)

From what the community told me the key to this is finding offsets, but are there surefire ways to know the offset of the song?
Uniform
to find the right offset, and this might sound repetitive, but just listen and see if the offset you have matches the song. if it doesn't, change it foward or backwards a bit. if this still doesn't work then try seeing if the song is in a different time signature. if none of these methods work, see if one of your friends can find it. if that still doesn't work, then try a different song.
Zelzatter Zero
First, change the playback rate at 25% (in the bottom-right corner of the editor)
and then everything is now depends on your ears and sense, just like the last post said.

There's no way to guess offset correctly in the first time. Even experienced mappers have mistake in finding offset when they rank a map so just get used to it.

Also multi-BPM songs are literally the pain to do even with mappers who map for a long time, just avoid it as you can.
TicClick
having good ears has nothing to do with being a good mapper, or player

in short, you should be safe if you roughly follow help/wiki/Guides/How_to_Time_Songs. throw a couple of notes on the grid, tap them, see the difference. given that you are able to hit these accurately and have good accuracy in general, it should be possible for you to move the offset and see hit error gradually decreasing with every new try. if the error rate stays low for a good time, say, a dozen of seconds, it's safe to say you've found it -- at least the local offset, if there is only one and the composer hasn't mastered the song poorly.

you probably notice that's a lot of ifs for such a short paragraph, and yes, it's not always straightforward. if you need more details, please go watch pishifat's tutorial on timing.

and yes, do not attempt to do anything on 25% playback speed, it distorts the audio, and your results will be inaccurate.