forum

mappers, who are your 3 biggest inspirations in terms of your style of mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dialect
i know pishifat made a whole video on this, but it's going to be outdated, so i decided to make a forum post about it.

my biggest 3 inspirations in terms of mapping are:

undeadcapulet (with his concepts, not his style of mapping, but it still counts)

reform (i honestly like their flow of mapping. they use a lot of curved sliders, and it just stood out imo)

sing (mostly based on their sliders, but also the flow of their non edm maps.)

i do take inspiration from many other mappers, but imo these mappers stood out to me. i was just curious on which mappers inspired your style of mapping.
foss
great question! it will definitely be interesting and enlightening to see all kinds of combinations listed.

as for me,

puxtu - for his impeccable consistency with designing patterns in concordance to the music. took a lot of playability tips and design concepts from him. his maps are essentially my go-to for examples. i doubt i would of gotten into mapping without the initial spark of inspiration that came from playing his maps.

xeostyle - this madlad has one of the most kickass styles i've seen in mania. one example is how he mapped a 17 minute deathstream masterpiece and kept it coherent and logical with abundant variety; which ultimately delivered a truly unique experience that i can always continue finding new inspiration from and discover new concepts and ideas each time i revisit it.

phil - one of my favorite things to do when i'm not mapping is to analyze this dude's maps. he has a very distinct way of representing music that forces you to stop and think. he articulates certain motifs of the song to such a meticulous degree that makes me literally feel the neural pathways forming in my brain as i investigate them.

truly, one of the most beautiful things about the osu community is how we have direct access to a plethora of different mappers from all around the world. personally i feel tremendously blessed for all the value they add to the community and how we get to choose to be a part of that movement ourselves.

looking forward to seeing more posts here! i'm sure it will be a great avenue of discovery for many people :-)
Uniform
for me

lasse - i like his sliders and flow

settia - maps by him/her greatly affect my song choice

jonathanlfj - his maps are my biggest inspiration in terms of actual mapping concepts
DrLou
IcyWorld for high BMP/ high Star stream maps

NikoSek for a better repesintation of the music in stream maps

Evening for SV and Jack maps (He mapped PLANET//SHAPER)
Sakisagee
[Mania player]

IcyWorld (intense stamina patterns like jumpstreams, handstreams and streams)

Tachyon (good mapper on jacks, chordjacks and more)

Shoegazer (he mapped some great tech and speed maps that i enjoy a lot)

I have more inspirations, but their styles are the base on my own maps ;3;
Topic Starter
Dialect

Uniform wrote:

for me

lasse - i like his sliders and flow

settia - maps by him/her greatly affect my song choice

jonathanlfj - his maps are my biggest inspiration in terms of actual mapping concepts

yeah i love lasse's "petal" difficulties. i just started getting back into osu, and i realized that i shouldn't just be like everyone else and map anime songs. i love anime, but there's other songs to be mapped aswell. so i think for song choice, i'll probably just stick to low bpm "tik tok" songs, because why not? a lot of low bpm tik tok songs make for good dt maps, so.. and honestly, jonathan is an iconic mapper in the community. i like his maps, but i wouldn't say i take a lot of inspiration from them.
Chiru-kun
sure let me drop here

kalibe - on circle positioning and the purpose of sliders. first map that really made my mapping on circle positioning and how i do sliders is from his "Chata - len" mapset (i became addicted to that map's kinds of circles for a period of time). there are others of their maps which follow though.

yukiyo - on song choice, long maps and "cleanliness." im very intimidated by verses and continuous parts of songs. his clean maps of the past introduced me to mapping. and his past song choice led me to map songs i like almost strictly. but over time, that cleanliness idea was something i strayed from and led me to a different aesthetics view. but nevertheless, still feel some influence from him.

jounzan - on odd flow. because i dont like how when i started out, sharp jumps and confortability was the only publicly praised fun (on a new player perspective). my reaspn for him is kind of like for kalibe... but they go to more extreme lengths. loved how they used what was "odd" to make it good and expressive of the song. (slow AR, slow SV, pattern-scattered tech jumps)

there are a few others, but this is the most i can rule out for fundamental mapping influences.
Zelzatter Zero
lemme see.

Monstrata for the way to design jumps that are aesthetically please for my eyes.

Mazzerin for how he fully represent the song and pushing the intensity to max.

Hollow Wings for allowing the creativity beyond the ordinary and gave the new playing experience.
TheKingHenry
well, I actually did answer that pishi questionnaire back then, maybe with something like Mazzerin, GoldenWolf, pishifat?

but the more time went by, the more it just seemed to be that it wasn't really exactly accurate (anymore); for the most part, my "inspiration" comes from how I understand the music, and main similarities end up just being mostly fundamentals on how we interpret the music, and that is kind of done in similar fashion by hundreds of mappers, a lot in these days, and some already in times before too, with no particular inspiration necessarily always drawn between mappers

But I guess in terms of the alignment of musical interpretation or matching ideas of the fundamentals, it's going to be Mazzerin. At least in the end of the day it's mainly due the early maps of his that I kept pursuing my own metal mapping
Topic Starter
Dialect

Uraomote Error wrote:

lemme see.

Monstrata for the way to design jumps that are aesthetically please for my eyes.

Mazzerin for how he fully represent the song and pushing the intensity to max.

Hollow Wings for allowing the creativity beyond the ordinary and gave the new playing experience.

i really love monstrata's style of mapping. i don't take much inspiration from him because my style isn't really supposed to be visually clean. mazzerin pushes the limits of mapping with his 8 minute stamina draining metal maps, and hollow wings also pushes the limits, through their creativity.

i sort of also take a bit of inspiration from mismagius's modern maps, because i honestly love the sharp flow of his maps.

renzthegreat wrote:

sure let me drop here

kalibe - on circle positioning and the purpose of sliders. first map that really made my mapping on circle positioning and how i do sliders is from his "Chata - len" mapset (i became addicted to that map's kinds of circles for a period of time). there are others of their maps which follow though.

yukiyo - on song choice, long maps and "cleanliness." im very intimidated by verses and continuous parts of songs. his clean maps of the past introduced me to mapping. and his past song choice led me to map songs i like almost strictly. but over time, that cleanliness idea was something i strayed from and led me to a different aesthetics view. but nevertheless, still feel some influence from him.

jounzan - on odd flow. because i dont like how when i started out, sharp jumps and confortability was the only publicly praised fun (on a new player perspective). my reaspn for him is kind of like for kalibe... but they go to more extreme lengths. loved how they used what was "odd" to make it good and expressive of the song. (slow AR, slow SV, pattern-scattered tech jumps)

there are a few others, but this is the most i can rule out for fundamental mapping influences.

for kalibe, their maps have a neat flow. according to the osu!mappers website, even sotarks took inspiration from kalibe. i actually never played yukiyo's maps, but i'll try to download some of them. and same for jounzan.

TheKingHenry wrote:

well, I actually did answer that pishi questionnaire back then, maybe with something like Mazzerin, GoldenWolf, pishifat?

but the more time went by, the more it just seemed to be that it wasn't really exactly accurate (anymore); for the most part, my "inspiration" comes from how I understand the music, and main similarities end up just being mostly fundamentals on how we interpret the music, and that is kind of done in similar fashion by hundreds of mappers, a lot in these days, and some already in times before too, with no particular inspiration necessarily always drawn between mappers

But I guess in terms of the alignment of musical interpretation or matching ideas of the fundamentals, it's going to be Mazzerin. At least in the end of the day it's mainly due the early maps of his that I kept pursuing my own metal mapping

yeah, your style can be influenced by a lot of mappers. pishi is really inspirational to a lot of mappers. most people got into mapping because of him, although i literally started osu to try out mapping. mazzerin is still a good influence on many mappers, even if it's an 8 minute stamina draining metal map.
Wisoven
Pata-Mon | I love Pata-Mon's mapping style because basically all of his maps are fun to play and look good. Also, he came into the mapping scene relatively fast. He participates in already awesome sets like Hana no Iro (TV Size) and the Lucky Star OP (I forgot what it's called lol) and made them even more awesome. All in all, I love his maps so much.
~
Nevo | Nevo is a great mapper with tons upon tons of maps. I like his simple 5* maps because they're fun to play and usually flow well, which I like. His style is close to Monstrata's style, which is also great, but I personally think Nevo's is way better. I feel like I have started recently to take after Nevo's style in my maps, and you can start to see (especially in my newest map Natsuzora Yell full ver) where it's been inhereted.
~
Left | While Left is most definitely an underrated mapper, his maps are nothing short of a masterpiece. All I can say is that his maps inspire me a lot to map the songs in the style that I do and are probably the primary styles you can see in some of my maps.
Goldenux
I would describe my style as visual/pattern focused with good structure. I could probably list like 15 mappers who've contributed the same type of inspiration but i'll just write out 3 that have different contributions.

#1 Kroytz: Provides a good chunk of visual concepts. Although im not a fan of how restricting he can be in his structure, his parallel slider overlapping https://gyazo.com/bdefae0c94ebcac348c967fbd3f066d1 , blankets, geometric shapes and symmetry are jus a few things i implement in my maps. Also, the fact that he never undermaps songs and usually maps high SR is another thing that i find interesting.

#2 Monstrata: I do not like his lack of emphasis in rhythm/spacing but his old map movement tends to be mostly generic sharp angles which i like. Many of his visuals concepts overlap with kroytz and they're cool, except for his diagonal sliders. What i rlly like about him compared to kroytz is how he creates meaning in his maps. his most recent ones hav some sort of concept for example he will destroy his visuals if the song calls for it (like in a-l-i-e-n), which is smth that i find pretty interesting. also, he is very good at sliders and he can make sliderart that provides some deeper meaning to the map, such as the brain slider at the end of brain power. In his katharsis long ver. he made a question mark slider on a very strong sound which helps convey emotion.

#3 Handsome: A god at patterning. In terms of visuals he isnt my favorite but i love how unconcerned and unique he is when mapping. Even if there's something that players will hate, he doesnt care since song representation takes priority. As such, he also has some pretty insane emphasis in his maps.
Gorou
kawashiro luscent & toumei dragon all have really nice visuals
Cyan Cookie
I can't say much because I'm still relatively new and inexperienced but I took a ton of inspiration from a this one map by deetz https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/275655#osu/695636
Everything about the map just felt right, and I currently view it as the best map I've ever seen and I try to learn from what it does which sort of locks my style to match with it.

I don't know where I learnt it but I also picked up using sharp turns to the point where I will actively avoid flowing linearly for any longer than 3 notes.

I know the thread asks for 3 inspirations and for them to be mappers instead of maps but I just wanted to contribute something.

Edit: fixing the link

Edit: alright that took a while to fix
Topic Starter
Dialect

Eveydude wrote:

Pata-Mon | I love Pata-Mon's mapping style because basically all of his maps are fun to play and look good. Also, he came into the mapping scene relatively fast. He participates in already awesome sets like Hana no Iro (TV Size) and the Lucky Star OP (I forgot what it's called lol) and made them even more awesome. All in all, I love his maps so much.

pata-mon is a really iconic mapper imo. i love his maps aswell, and recently, i've been taking some inspiration from piroshki, especially their limp bizkit maps.

Eveydude wrote:

Nevo | Nevo is a great mapper with tons upon tons of maps. I like his simple 5* maps because they're fun to play and usually flow well, which I like. His style is close to Monstrata's style, which is also great, but I personally think Nevo's is way better. I feel like I have started recently to take after Nevo's style in my maps, and you can start to see (especially in my newest map Natsuzora Yell full ver) where it's been inhereted.
~

nevo's style is so visually appealing, which i really like. i don't like implementing that in my maps, because i prefer messy overlaps and stuff, but nevo makes their maps really fun to play.
lewski
Nyxa, Mun, Halfslashed

it's less about their maps and more about mindset in my case
Lights
skwid, fullerene (rgx), and icyworld
flake
saut - flow and aesthetics are really good imo. when I was playing the game for pp (and was somewhat new to mapping) I got to play his Itsuwari Neurose map in a multi lobby. It's funny how I smiled while playing because of how clear the intentions were in his map. A few days later I started doing mapping instead of playing for pp because I want to be able to give players the same feeling

pishifat - very similar to saut, tbh. I also felt like smiling while playing because of how simple the maps are. His style is very 'versatile' from what I'd say, but regardless, pishi's style is really nice

moph - i'd say moph is currently my biggest inspiration, it's like saut and pishifat's style combined (imo). moph, saut, and pishi are really good at handling flow and aesthetics, but what makes moph's mapping somewhat different for me is how moph uses shapes a lot more than other mappers. Triangle designs, circular flow, square patterns (I don't see much of this, I may be living under a rock lmao help), etc. There are things I don't agree with moph's style, such as diagonal sliders, but that's okay, styles are styles.
Topic Starter
Dialect

Flake wrote:

moph - i'd say moph is currently my biggest inspiration, it's like saut and pishifat's style combined (imo). moph, saut, and pishi are really good at handling flow and aesthetics, but what makes moph's mapping somewhat different for me is how moph uses shapes a lot more than other mappers. Triangle designs, circular flow, square patterns (I don't see much of this, I may be living under a rock lmao help), etc. There are things I don't agree with moph's style, such as diagonal sliders, but that's okay, styles are styles.

yeah i really love moph's maps. they do use a lot of shape patterns, which i really appreciate. i wouldn't say i take inspiration heavily from moph, but i've kind of learned a bit through their maps.
Torzhevin
I've taken many little inspirations from observing other people's maps in my mapping career, but if I were to point out the 3 most distinctive ones, then it would be:
1. Monstrata, because his alt maps are fun to play, and I just like his triangle slider patterns, my biggest mapping
inspiration

2. Settia, their jump patterns which somewhat made me better at mapping jumps

3. Reform, because the flow on his maps are really comfortable

I'd say Yusomi also inspired me at the same effect of Settia's, but It's all down to pragmatism in the end.
Topic Starter
Dialect

Muchtimoo wrote:

2. Settia, their jump patterns which somewhat made me better at mapping jumps

3. Reform, because the flow on his maps are really comfortable

I'd say Yusomi also inspired me at the same effect of Settia's, but It's all down to pragmatism in the end.

although i don't really like settia's maps much, they're really fun to play. reform's maps have really good flow, and i just love how they use a lot of curved sliders. i really like browiec's maps, and i've been taking a bit of inspiration from their style aswell

i've also been getting into mania and asha and puxtu really stand out to me as mania mappers
Topic Starter
Dialect
bump bump

but uh, i honestly think in 2 years or so, someone should make another website, contact any mapper who got a ranked map AFTER pishi's video, and then redo the results. and of course, update the list (include pfps, countries, etc etc). there's way more mappers with ranked maps now, so i think it'd be interesting to see the results.
Yukanna
Mismagius-The big black uses sliders as inhuman angles which is what i sometimes do for aesethetics and stuff. he also got me into the mapping community and now im wasting my life away trying to make a map for ranked :P Byfar biggest inspiration.

Hollow wings- Mainly where i get my creative side. I've thought about High AR low CS mapping and am planning to put that into work soon. Im also planning on making some maps that are similar to theirs.

Sotarks- Also a VERY big inspiration. I got drawn to him byt a video of twitch clips from like 2 years ago and discovered the editor from there. also drawn me to mapping something. I got into the community of mapping because of him and discovered Mismagius and hollow wings.
Topic Starter
Dialect

LinnaOSU wrote:

Mismagius-The big black uses sliders as inhuman angles which is what i sometimes do for aesethetics and stuff. he also got me into the mapping community and now im wasting my life away trying to make a map for ranked :P Byfar biggest inspiration.

Hollow wings- Mainly where i get my creative side. I've thought about High AR low CS mapping and am planning to put that into work soon. Im also planning on making some maps that are similar to theirs.

Sotarks- Also a VERY big inspiration. I got drawn to him byt a video of twitch clips from like 2 years ago and discovered the editor from there. also drawn me to mapping something. I got into the community of mapping because of him and discovered Mismagius and hollow wings.

yeah. even though they aren't known mappers, i've been also looking at tutuhaha's and yshadowxop_'s maps. tutu uses uncomfortable flow, and messy slidershapes, which i really like. and shadow, even though he maps a lot of easy stuff below 5*, has some interesting patterns and flow, which i also love.

sotarks, even though his style is recognizable, is one i don't really like much, although it's because of his pp maps. i've definitely been taking some inspiration from mismagius's maps, mainly his newer ones, although his older maps are also nice. when i started osu!, i was already drawn to the editor. it was literally the first thing i wanted to do when playing osu! lmao
Ayayano
-idk
-whats style
-who maps

I just map

I know I subconsciously take inspiration from various mappers but Ive always struggled to define what those inspirations are / who those mappers are

At this point I need someone to tell me who they think I map like LOL
Asphiee
Jonathanlfj - he's maps were the reason I started mapping. love at first sight lol
monstrata
rizia

i have many ones. that's why i alternate between messy and neat maps.
Mister
monstrata - nice aesthetics and visual spacing
uberzolik - movement
scubdomino - concepts