forum

How are the stars in a map rated?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lilith Lin
Hey,

I'm currently making my second (and first ranked) map, but somehow I don't know how to make the harder difficulties. Right now I nearly finished the harder version of the map, or at least I try (I still havent edited the hitsounds). I wanted it to be like 4 to 5*, but no matter, what I do, it's always rated about 3*, tho I'm already struggeling to see it as a 3* map.

So I wanted to know, if it is just me and it's still so easy and what I can do to make it harder. I already have made the normal difficulty, I dont need a second third one. :c

here is the link for the map. I'm talking about the "hard short ver."

beatmapsets/1145885#osu/2395642
Zelzatter Zero
Star rating are made by 2 aspects: Spacing, and note density.

Spacing: is the distance between two objects in the gameplay. The larger it is, the higher the star rating.

Note density: is the distance between two objects in the timeline on the top of the editor. The star rating will be significantly lower if you use 1/2 beat divisor than if you use 1/4 note divisor.

Also, because star rating only based by those two aspects so there's sometimes the actual difficulty is way higher than the star rating (One of the most common examples is this diff, when the actual difficulty is way harder for just a 3*). However, you're not experienced enough for them so just follow the common sense here.
Topic Starter
Lilith Lin
Thank you! ^^
BR41N
Even though your question was about something else, I can't help but give a little feedback on the whole mapset after playing/looking at it. I might sound a little harsh, but I'll just try to be helpful.

The easy and normal difficulties are not appropriate. All of them belong to the "hard" category (or barely normal for the easy diff). To be honest, your hard diff is just a bad attempt at overmapping and I would say that's also not suitable to be called "hard". Insane diffs are where you can experiment more, while hard diffs should still be clear and mostly intuitive. That being said, if you want a 4-5* map, it should be an insane difficulty, not hard.
I've also noticed that some hitobjects are not in sync with the music (and aren't just for filler rhythm), so you should try to listen a little more carefully. There were many sounds (namely the drums/percussion) that you ignored. I'm pretty sure a song like this doesn't need overmapping to be dense.

As for your struggles with star rating - you clearly need to play more insane maps to know how to map 4*+ maps.
I always try to make the difficulty of my maps to be at most my own level. And lately, anything I map tends to go up to 5*, even unintentionally.

If you're interested, I could make a guest difficulty for your mapset (idk how long it'll take me, though, lol)