forum

What combo number is too high?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
D rank
When I am making a beatmap, I generally set a new combo for every song pattern section, example: 1234 (new combo) 1234 (new combo) 1234 etc. But sometimes I go a bit over and do like 6 numbers in a combo.

I'm wondering what the limit would be to combo numbers to make it reasonable.
IllusionB
usually you would start a new combo every new measure, or in other words every new large white tick. Because of this it's completely normal to have a different combo length every white tick/measure, and in some cases its normal to stretch the combo even beyond the white tick if its appropriate.

It honestly isn't a thing that you should think too much about since it can be fixed much more easily than other aspects of your map, make combos as long as you see fit! (there are a ton of asterisks with combo length but try to keep it close to >8 or so for now, it really isn't a big deal to fix)

6 is 100% ok
Topic Starter
D rank

IllusionB wrote:

usually you would start a new combo every new measure, or in other words every new large white tick. Because of this it's completely normal to have a different combo length every white tick/measure, and in some cases its normal to stretch the combo even beyond the white tick if its appropriate.

It honestly isn't a thing that you should think too much about since it can be fixed much more easily than other aspects of your map, make combos as long as you see fit! (there are a ton of asterisks with combo length but try to keep it close to >8 or so for now, it really isn't a big deal to fix)

6 is 100% ok

Okay, if I understood this correctly, I should try to keep my combos around 8 for each combo?
IllusionB
Yes, to boil this down, if you know how to start new combos you probably already have a sense of when the its the right time to start a new combo, so it isn't a big deal anyway. :D 8 is a good benchmark for now

Also I recommend if you a beginner mapper to focus heavily on object placement early on so you can develop your spacing skills quicker
Zelzatter Zero
It mostly depends on what kind of pattern you use. If it's streams, then the combo can even go up to 32. If it's jumps, then combo can be shortened to 2 (Like every Sotarks' maps).

Combo numbers are used to emphasize the downbeat mostly. In a streams, if the end has a way louder sound, you can even add a new combo to every single circle placed in that sound. Sometimes it can warn the player about the sudden change in slider velocity (like from x1.0 to x0.1 for example). And much, much more gimmicks to mess around with them. I suggest looking at other mappers (especially someone that has ranked maps) to look for references.