forum

Getting my Wacom Tablet tomorrow, any tablet tipps?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

Aqo wrote:

Yeah, lower your dpi to 400 and make sure acceleration is disabled.

Can you guys maybe explain why? Higher DPI = Higher Accuracy, can't I take High DPI and lower Speed? Or Is that not possible with a tablet?
GoldenWolf

Shadowyuri wrote:

Can you guys maybe explain why? Higher DPI = Higher Accuracy, can't I take High DPI and lower Speed? Or Is that not possible with a tablet?
Errr, no. Higher DPI means higher speed, not higher accuracy.
Aqo

Shadowyuri wrote:

Was talking about the mouse. Depending on your hand size, 300-600 pixels per inch is the optimal setting to play with. In correct technical terms you'd want a high dpi with low sensitivity to achieve this, so it's ok if you use 3200dpi but don't actually use it like 3200dpi sensitivity, lower it to 1/8 of that; the more your hand moves the better accuracy you get, same with tablet area (and an average full-area wacom tablet requires the same movement as a 400dpi setting for mouse).
silmarilen
dpi is personal preference, i play with 1750 dpi, jappybabes plays with 1800 dpi.
Tanzklaue

silmarilen wrote:

dpi is personal preference, i play with 1750 dpi, jappybabes plays with 1800 dpi.
I play with 1500.

and I can't get much lower, already tried that, it just messes up everything.
silmarilen
but you're some random rank 5k dude
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

Aqo wrote:

Shadowyuri wrote:

Was talking about the mouse. Depending on your hand size, 300-600 pixels per inch is the optimal setting to play with. In correct technical terms you'd want a high dpi with low sensitivity to achieve this, so it's ok if you use 3200dpi but don't actually use it like 3200dpi sensitivity, lower it to 1/8 of that; the more your hand moves the better accuracy you get, same with tablet area (and an average full-area wacom tablet requires the same movement as a 400dpi setting for mouse).

Thanks. (all of you) I will see what I can do and try to follow this tipp's. I'm a bit afraid that I have to learn it from scratch on :)
I'm not sure if I'm gonna use the FULL area but I will not make it really small now thanks to your explanation.

Full Area (Or at least no Small area), Average DPI/Speed and I have to train to Hover and not to touch the Tablet.
Any further tipps?
Tanzklaue

silmarilen wrote:

yeah, so?
silmarilen
some of the best tablet players hold their pen vertical, instead of like a normal pencil.

Tanzklaue wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

yeah, so?
so hurr german people
rank 5k doesnt guarantee that high dpi can be succesful, jappy is almost top 100. which shows it can be used just fine.
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

silmarilen wrote:

An I'm a super Randome 40k dude I:
Tanzklaue

silmarilen wrote:

so hurr german people
rank 5k doesnt guarantee that high dpi can be succesful, jappy is almost top 100. which shows it can be used just fine.
it still shows that it is personal preference.
PhiLL A
I think the only real tips someone can give you are full area and hover. Try to put your tablet next to your keyboard, where your mouse is. Even though pencil grip is most comfortable (usually) and more intuitive, it kinda sucks for fullscreen jumps so you could try different grips.
Wishy
If you want to be good it's not that much about personal preference. There are setups that are overall, and almost always better. Playing on a very small area@tablet is usually bad, and most successful players (if not ALL) ended up using either full area or something as close as possible to that. Very high sensitivities may be a problem if you play complicated jumpy maps or very small circles. As far as I remember Silvia used a very high sens, guess who wasn't that good with very hard CS/jumps.

If you get a tablet you should play, ideally, on a very large area. Even if you initially have trouble with it, try getting used to that. I've seen many players greatly improve by increasing their play area (including myself). You don't NECESSARILY need to play FULL AREA, for different reasons (your pen grip, hand/wrist size) you may have great trouble playing on a full area (it also depends on your tablet, some are huge). Then again you gonna get a "standard" tablet anyways (doubt you're getting those super expensive tablets just for osu!), so try full area, if after a few days/weeks you still feel it is TOO hard for you to play, then try making it a little smaller, but not too small!

Tanz, what silmarilen meant is that if some low rank/not pro player comes and says "I use 5000000000000 DPI and it feels good", who cares, it proves nothing. You should always see how pros play and use that as a reference. Rank doesn't matter either, you can get to a very high rank and your aim can still be bad/you can be lousy at jumps. So in this case (since we are talking about aim) you should take as a reference what the best "jumpers"/very hard CS players use. For instance, JAKANYAN plays full area, M A I D plays full area, Cookiezi plays almost full area, etc.
PhiLL A
SiLviA used 1000 DPI.
Sorun
Don't waste your time with portion just leave it at full area. Also if your in game sensitivity is adjusted put it back to 1.0x.
thelewa
Actually

I removed the tip of my tablet pen and started tapping with it on every jump. I'm weird. You could also try that when you get your tablet.
Bweh
Tapping with the pen can be surprisingly accurate when you're doing jumps. Switching between tapping and then back to the keys can be a bit tricky, though.
Kanye West
Funny, I tap when I jump as well. Except I disable tapping and press the key at the same time to solve that problem.
buny

Wishy wrote:

If you want to be good it's not that much about personal preference. There are setups that are overall, and almost always better. Playing on a very small area@tablet is usually bad, and most successful players (if not ALL) ended up using either full area or something as close as possible to that. Very high sensitivities may be a problem if you play complicated jumpy maps or very small circles. As far as I remember Silvia used a very high sens, guess who wasn't that good with very hard CS/jumps.

If you get a tablet you should play, ideally, on a very large area. Even if you initially have trouble with it, try getting used to that. I've seen many players greatly improve by increasing their play area (including myself). You don't NECESSARILY need to play FULL AREA, for different reasons (your pen grip, hand/wrist size) you may have great trouble playing on a full area (it also depends on your tablet, some are huge). Then again you gonna get a "standard" tablet anyways (doubt you're getting those super expensive tablets just for osu!), so try full area, if after a few days/weeks you still feel it is TOO hard for you to play, then try making it a little smaller, but not too small!

Tanz, what silmarilen meant is that if some low rank/not pro player comes and says "I use 5000000000000 DPI and it feels good", who cares, it proves nothing. You should always see how pros play and use that as a reference. Rank doesn't matter either, you can get to a very high rank and your aim can still be bad/you can be lousy at jumps. So in this case (since we are talking about aim) you should take as a reference what the best "jumpers"/very hard CS players use. For instance, JAKANYAN plays full area, M A I D plays full area, Cookiezi plays almost full area, etc.
I use a very small area and have nearly no problem with jumps other than rainbow dash likes girls or atama no taisou i'd need a few tries to beat.

But the way I hold my pen I grip it tightly so my hand can't move that much and it's a lot more stable
thelewa

Kanye West wrote:

Funny, I tap when I jump as well. Except I disable tapping and press the key at the same time to solve that problem.
Yeah I do the same. I just have a small problem with it. The cursor sometimes freaks out a bit whenever I touch the surface of the tablet with the tip of the pen, that's why I removed the tip completely.
Amefuri Koneko

thelewa wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

Yeah I do the same. I just have a small problem with it. The cursor sometimes freaks out a bit whenever I touch the surface of the tablet with the tip of the pen, that's why I removed the tip completely.
My wacom refuses to work without a tip :<
Layne_old_1
~
silmarilen
if thats your definition of elitist, sure.
Espionage724
For those recommending full-area, what about the screen resolution? With my tablet, I'm forced to use the full area, but only 1024x768 allows the beats to appear in the full area. Using my native res of 1600x900 stops beats from appearing like 1-inch from the edges of my tablet.
Ohrami

Espionage724 wrote:

For those recommending full-area, what about the screen resolution? With my tablet, I'm forced to use the full area, but only 1024x768 allows the beats to appear in the full area. Using my native res of 1600x900 stops beats from appearing like 1-inch from the edges of my tablet.
what

explain
Espionage724

Kyou-kun wrote:

Espionage724 wrote:

what

explain
The fullscreen resolution on osu!; my screen's native res is 1600x900. If I understand how osu!'s widescreen mode works, it basically makes the playing field take up less space on the screen, keeping it to a 4:3 area, which is less then the 16:9 area. And with my tablet's full-area, it takes in account the full-area of whatever resolution is in use.
Pizzicato
fullscreen + 3/4 bamboo area