forum

New Mapper Timing Questions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
esmb17
Hey, I'm currently working on my first serious beatmap, and while I dont think it currently is or ever will be of ranking quality I still want to make it the best I can. I am fairly sure I have timed the song correctly and that my use of 1/8 is justified (at least from a timing perspective), however I just want some input from more experienced mappers on my timing. Also one more question. I know my spacing is all over the place and wayyy to unintuitive (and bad), but how bad is it rhythmically? Although I am only a quarter of the way through just the first steps of making this map, I still would like some input so I dont stray further down the wrong path.

Here is the map: osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1138580#osu/2378452

Edit: Ig I dont mean how bad is the spacing rhythmically, but how bad is the interpretation of the rhythm more generally

Edit: Yeah ok so I have realized a few things. First that the 1/8 thing doesn't matter because if I just doubled the bpm all the 1/8 would be 1/4. The second is that the timing is super fucked in the later parts of the map... I would really appreciate it if a more experienced mapper would help me troubleshoot this issue!
lewski
Try using 180.3bpm with 1020 offset. No idea why the bpm isn't an integer but that's life.

As for rhythm, it's what I'd expect from a new mapper. Honestly at this stage I don't even have any tips or anything, you'll get a better idea of it as you map more and it'll become something worth criticising. The song choice is kind of unfortunate since there's very little going on in terms of differences in intensity, but don't let that stop you. You're going to have to change the beat snap divisor to 1/3 in the upper right corner of the editor, though, since the song has a swing rhythm, although even then you'll have to change back to 1/4 in a few spots.
Topic Starter
esmb17
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Yeah I don't expect to have a rankable first map, I just want to get some practice mapping doing single difficulties cause I know it's shit lol.