forum

tips on finding a song to map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
triclyde
hi!!
so after spending a few weeks improving my mapping skills in the editor i feel like i’m finally ready to try my hand at making my first mapset. i’ve been advised to stick to a short song with moderately high bpm (such as an anime opening) to make my first attempt at serious mapping easier.
however it seems that every appropriate song i find has already been mapped by so many other, more experienced mappers.
any tips for finding a unique song?
Jelljel
Tbh 99% of anime openings get mapped on this game so more often than not if you go that route you'll always have someone beat you to it. However that doesn't really matter, if you like the song there's nothing stopping you from mapping it even when others have done the same already. Again every map is different and experience and enjoyment is key.

However stayin on topic, finding songs can be daunting sometimes, obviously you could check the featured artist page but that probably wont be "unique" in a sense as again most of these have been mapped already. Usually when I do stuff outside of mapping / gaming (irl stuff etc.) I just put on a random album I found online and listen to it for if I find something cool. Usually you can just drop a genre into a spptify, deezer, itunes or even yt and find tons of albums/songs you can listen to. Also just checking out different labels can work too, Monstercat, metal blade etc are all examples you can stuff off, or you can even search for like a genre 1-hour mix on yt again. Multiple channels make these kinds of videos and you can probably find some cool shit there as well.

Do that and you'll probably obtain a backlog of like 10~20 songs you want to map like me in no time :^)
Topic Starter
triclyde

Jelljel wrote:

Tbh 99% of anime openings get mapped on this game so more often than not if you go that route you'll always have someone beat you to it. However that doesn't really matter, if you like the song there's nothing stopping you from mapping it even when others have done the same already. Again every map is different and experience and enjoyment is key.

However stayin on topic, finding songs can be daunting sometimes, obviously you could check the featured artist page but that probably wont be "unique" in a sense as again most of these have been mapped already. Usually when I do stuff outside of mapping / gaming (irl stuff etc.) I just put on a random album I found online and listen to it for if I find something cool. Usually you can just drop a genre into a spptify, deezer, itunes or even yt and find tons of albums/songs you can listen to. Also just checking out different labels can work too, Monstercat, metal blade etc are all examples you can stuff off, or you can even search for like a genre 1-hour mix on yt again. Multiple channels make these kinds of videos and you can probably find some cool shit there as well.

Do that and you'll probably obtain a backlog of like 10~20 songs you want to map like me in no time :^)

thanks a lot man!!