forum

Can you tho?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Dynamic-
Is it okay to "steal" someone else's timing points for your mapset?

For example: you have seen a very good ranked map. And suddenly, you wanted to use that song. But being bored and all, you decided to copy the uninherited timing points of that same song from a ranked mapset to your new beatmap. Wait, is that even ok? Or even rankable?
Zelzatter Zero
Timing, especially with songs that have inconsistent BPM, is a really tedious thing to do. Unlike any other aspect of mapping, timing purely requires your hearing sense which makes it frustrating to do, and almost no one have any will to do that. Even experienced mappers used timing and .mp3 file from the previous map, so feel free to copy them (it's better if you also give credit), but with normal songs, I suggest you to time properly first before using from another mapset.
Serizawa Haruki
Timing should be consistent among ranked maps of the same song so you can copy the timing, no matter if it has 1 timing point or 100
TheKingHenry

Serizawa Haruki wrote:

Timing should be consistent among ranked maps of the same song so you can copy the timing, no matter if it has 1 timing point or 100

worth a note though that being correct overrides being consistent with ranked maps, so in the occasional case that the previously ranked map has issues with the timing, you shouldn't copy it (not that unlikely either actually if you're copying some really old map for example)

Uraomote Error wrote:

(it's better if you also give credit)

Well, this in general with all things, but personally especially (somewhat) with timing, since other than the map itself (which you can't really copy heh), timing is pretty much the only thing "done by me", unlike, say, how it is most of the time with BG or mp3 of the map which are done by their respective original artists of course, so I don't really care if people yoink those, but for timing I'd rather people ask me first. Even though it's not really as painful as this dude here made it out to be (I, for one, like timing), if it's timing complex enough that it's worth copying, I probably used some time and effort on it still.
Topic Starter
-Dynamic-
Thanks guys! owo