forum

Accidental alternating in taiko

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HecaRegina
I can't find anyone with a similar problem yet so I'll ask.

How do you prevent yourself from accidentally alternating your fingers when playing taiko?
This is specifically for people who does full alternate in standard.

I realise that no matter how much I register the notes, my fingers will somehow suddenly fall back into alternating by accident, especially longer songs. I thought it go away after a few weeks but well...

This occur on the same hand..

kddk is what i play with 3 fingers.
Full Tablet
Why do you call instinctive alternating an accident?

Full alternation is a perfectly valid way of playing the game, and it has benefits over other play styles. Specifically, you strain less your fingers, so you are less likely to hit a wall as you play faster beatmaps.

When osu!standard was my main game mode, it felt more natural to full alternate in taiko, since standard is a game mode that encourages you to alternate fingers. Now that osu!mania is my main game mode, alternating is less instinctive in taiko (instead, the most natural way to play fast patterns is trying to jackhammer them), so I actually became worse at taiko.

A method you could use to stop you from alternating in taiko is exclusively practicing jack maps in osu!mania for a few weeks, without playing taiko during that time.
Topic Starter
HecaRegina

Full Tablet wrote:

Why do you call instinctive alternating an accident?

Full alternation is a perfectly valid way of playing the game, and it has benefits over other play styles. Specifically, you strain less your fingers, so you are less likely to hit a wall as you play faster beatmaps.

When osu!standard was my main game mode, it felt more natural to full alternate in taiko, since standard is a game mode that encourages you to alternate fingers. Now that osu!mania is my main game mode, alternating is less instinctive in taiko (instead, the most natural way to play fast patterns is trying to jackhammer them), so I actually became worse at taiko.

A method you could use to stop you from alternating in taiko is exclusively practicing jack maps in osu!mania for a few weeks, without playing taiko during that time.

I'm sorry if this isn't clear earlier.
As stated earlier I play kddk, so my hand will alternate keys between k and d on the right side (so --dk, these 2 notes) regardless of the notes that appear on the screen.
It's ok if this is a unique situation that people can't find... probably I have to accept this is a physical limitation which I cannot overcome.
Thank you for helping.
I still hope for any answers if anyone knows.
Full Tablet
Try playing with 4 fingers instead of 3?
DeletedUser_4050493
If this is your situation (coz I'm not sure)
Your Left (1) Finger alternate beetwen k d
Your Right (2) Fingers playing normally d k
Your Problem is your Left Finger keeps altenating k d k / d k d even ur Left Finger supposed to play k k k / d d d

If that's your situation
You might try playing at really really slow (~140bpm) to build muscle memory or trying to play with 2 Finger (Left k d) (d k Right)
When I start playing Taiko I used full-alt kddk (4 Finger) and doing full-alt kddk (2 Finger) is doable, also Top Taiko Player "shinchikuhome" plays with 2 Finger only iirc

Hopes this post helps, and don't forget to have fun~
Topic Starter
HecaRegina

Kyunshi wrote:

If this is your situation (coz I'm not sure)
Your Left (1) Finger alternate beetwen k d
Your Right (2) Fingers playing normally d k
Your Problem is your Left Finger keeps altenating k d k / d k d even ur Left Finger supposed to play k k k / d d d

If that's your situation
You might try playing at really really slow (~140bpm) to build muscle memory or trying to play with 2 Finger (Left k d) (d k Right)
When I start playing Taiko I used full-alt kddk (4 Finger) and doing full-alt kddk (2 Finger) is doable, also Top Taiko Player "shinchikuhome" plays with 2 Finger only iirc

Hopes this post helps, and don't forget to have fun~

Thank you!
Yup, this is the problem I'm having. Except my problem is my right hand though.
I'll try your suggestions!
Hope you have fun too.