forum

Should you hitsound for instruments (drums) that have been mapped with low priority?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Involute
I've been mapping a map so that the rhythm of the vocals have been prioritised, only swapping out to other instruments where the rhythm density of the vocals becomes too low. However, there is a regular drum beat in the background once every full beat which I've regarded at a much lower priority: some drums beats are ignored completely with sliders passing right through them (since adding a note would distract from the rhythm of the vocals). However, there are drum beats that do coincide with the vocals.

So, the core of my question is this: should I include drum-like hitsounds whenever a hitobject coincides with a drum sound, regardless of whether the drums have been mapped with low/no priority (i.e. drum sounds only coincidentally land on hitobjects that were primary intended to represent vocal sounds, and land on said hitobjects in an inconsistent manner -- i.e. e.g of the 4 drum beats in a measure, only drum beats 1 and 4 actually land on a hitobject)

Or should I not add hitsounds to these low priority sounds?

I'm not sure whether it's better to represent every/most sounds in the song in the map, or only those that are being represented by the mapping

For context, the map I'm talking about is
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1130427#osu/2361348
Specifically, the measures starting on 00:10:540, 00:16:300, 00:18:220, etc... and 00:50:860, 00:58:540, etc.
Serizawa Haruki
Adding hitsounds to the drums is always recommended because it's an important musical layer of the song. Only hitsounding the vocals would most likely result in insufficient hitsound feedback.
Topic Starter
Involute
Alright, thanks! ^^