forum

[Proposal] Consistency of Metadata in Ranked/Loved Maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fu Xuan
I don't know if it's the same for the others but I feel that this current "guideline" is a bit too ambiguous(?)

If the same song exists in the Ranked or Loved sections already, the metadata should be followed unless it breaks other rules in the Ranking Criteria or the official sources state something completely different.

People tend to paste this guideline whenever they see a set with different metadata and believe that following the correct ranked maps would generally be better for consistency sake but they either just misunderstand the "... or the official sources state something different." or totally disregard it. Moreover, I do believe that having the same metadata of ranked maps in the ranked section would make it beneficial for consistency as there is always an instance of people mapping the same song over and over again and if there are 2 maps ranked that technically both have correct but different metadata, the following mappers would just pick whichever artist/title/source they like or whichever they prefer.

Stuff such as https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1054011 and https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/919827 go through and makes the ranked section very inconsistent when previous ranked mapsets already have the correct metadata. I would rewrite it to something like this.

If the same song exists in the Ranked or Loved sections already, the metadata must be followed unless it is incorrect or breaks other rules in the Ranking Criteria.

Additionally, I think it should be moved up as a rule instead of a guideline due to the word "must" so everyone would follow it in order to make everything consistent.

Someone could probably rewrite it to something better but that's the idea.

Also if I don't make sense, tell me and I could probably explain further because I wrote this at like 12 AM.
Serizawa Haruki
The only potential problem about this is that it gives the first person to rank a map of a song the right to "decide" which metadata must be used for all future maps of that song (if multiple different official sources exist). Other than that, I agree that people shouldn't ignore previous mapsets of the same song.
clayton
that's already supposed to be the case though. if people aren't using this guideline correctly, let them know

I don't think the rewording makes it any more clear and changing "should" to "must" only helps if nobody makes mistakes in applying the rule (apparently some do)
tatatat
I have to disagree with your proposal being a rule. The only time something should be a rule is if there is absolutely/nearly absolutely no case where breaking the rule would benefit the mapset. But conflicting sources and old maps can lead to differing metadata.
Noffy
Simply put the difference is this:
Rules: All rules are exactly that: rules. They are not guidelines and may not be broken under any circumstance.
Guidelines: Guidelines may be ignored under exceptional circumstances.

The exceptions of "unless it's incorrect or breaks other ranking criteria rules" would be very frequent and so it wouldn't be a proper rule. People not following the guideline properly is an issue for sure, but I don't think making it a rule would definitely fix it. The guideline should be enforced as a guideline, and that means choosing something different for personal preference is NOT exceptional circumstances.

that's my 2c
pishifat
in short, noffy's paragraph says "archive this thread"

if anyone chooses to ignore the guideline's clearly stated exception for some other made up exception, shoot them on sight
clayton
give me a weapon to shoot beatmap nominators with