forum

Multi: automatic room deletion if no plays for X minutes [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +6
Topic Starter
XPJ38
My suggestion aims at avoiding those "ghost rooms" where the room creator is AFK for like 30 minutes and more. This is really annoying for players because 1) it creates an entry in lobby rooms list for nothing, and 2) you waste time waiting for nothing if you have entered in one of these rooms thinking that it is a valid room.

Edit: another idea brought by theowest is to automatically kick room creator if he's AFK for too long.

Exemple of a "ghost room": http://osu.ppy.sh/mp/4896977
This room has been up for more than 5 hours (and counting)!

RBRat3
I agree with this, Its quite annoying.
theowest
How often does that happen anyway. It's like you based much of this request on that one guy.
RBRat3

theowest wrote:

How often does that happen anyway. It's like you based much of this request on that one guy.
It's all the time every time there is always a room with the host sitting on his ass.
Topic Starter
XPJ38

RBRat3 wrote:

theowest wrote:

It all the time every time there is always a room with the host sitting on his ass.
This. It happens very frequently.
theowest
I like it though, this is the simplest way to deal with AFK rooms.
Mithos
I gave up on multi because every taiko room I go into is either this, or newbie taiko players playing osu!standard conversions.
Archangel Tirael
Lol! Support! I once went into a room and
waited for an hour ... But
during this time had to eat,
drink tea and get out of the
room. ;3
silmarilen
what about people who just created a multi room to chat with eachother?
theowest

silmarilen wrote:

The room should automatically be deleted if there's no activity at all. If he's completely afk for x minutes. It shouldn't be based on not playing the map.

and besides, there's this t/19891
Saten
A bomb will appear and kick them out from the ghost room.
Akatsuki
I'm supporting this!
Topic Starter
XPJ38

silmarilen wrote:

If the room is locked by a password, it's okay. A private room shouldn't be open.
theowest

XPJ38 wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

If the room is locked by a password, it's okay. A private room shouldn't be open.
but y'know, what if they're waiting for someone or just aren't ready yet? Wouldn't it be better if the guy in charge be kicked after 5 minute after being AFK?
Topic Starter
XPJ38
I was thinking of a large period, like 30 minutes or more. You have enough time to get ready within this period of time.
Stefan

theowest wrote:

but y'know, what if they're waiting for someone or just aren't ready yet? Wouldn't it be better if the guy in charge be kicked after 5 minute after being AFK?

theowest wrote:

The room should automatically be deleted if there's no activity at all. If he's completely afk for x minutes. It shouldn't be based on not playing the map.
If activity means to chat, then it's fine. Also, since you can force to start, people don't have to kick or wait for the person(s).
But yeah, sounds good to implement this. +Support
Topic Starter
XPJ38

Stefan wrote:

If activity means to chat, then it's fine.
No it isn't. We are talking about room creator being absent. People who came in the room waiting for a play can send messages like "[roomCreator] start please", so it shouldn't be based on chat activity.

theowest suggested to automatically kick room creator if he's afk for too long, which is also a good idea. I will update OP with this possibility.
theowest
Yes exactly. Room creator being inactive for too long, not doing ANYTHING. (except of course chat)

This request is related to this one btw
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/102344/
Not the same, just different ways of handling the situation. I prefer this topic though, which in the end was the conclusion for the discussion.

I really think you should change the title. Deleting the room for not playing for x minutes makes very little sense compared to host being completely inactive for x minutes.
Rianne_old
Happens all the time, support.
TheVileOne
Support. Have an invisible star.
Zamura_old
Support

Also, could possibly add in some sort of "inactivity" timer that appears in the top corner of the screen or something to warn users that have been chatting for extended periods of time. That ought to help out those who are chatty during multiplayer. However, since the timer shouldn't be shorter than 30ish minutes, it shouldn't ever really be a problem
Topic Starter
XPJ38

theowest wrote:

I really think you should change the title. Deleting the room for not playing for x minutes makes very little sense compared to host being completely inactive for x minutes.
Hmm, these are just two different ways of handling the problem.

One is to do a fresh clean, thus allowing users who were in the room to check if another interesting room is available.

The other one is to kick host and give the lead to somebody else. The thing that bothers me a bit with this last suggestion is that you would give host to somebody that didn't want it in the first place (this person would have created his own room if it was the case). I suspect then that this player would quit the room, giving host to somebody else, who would quit too and in a domino effect would result in a room deletion. I have seen this scenario so many times that I think a simple room deletion would be quicker to handle.
TheVileOne
Well I have nothing against it deleting the room, because really you can just make another one. Who cares?

However an alternative would be marking an inactive room with a flag and we can filter these rooms from the rest. what do you guys think
?
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
no
theowest

XPJ38 wrote:

theowest wrote:

Hmm, these are just two different ways of handling the problem.

One is to do a fresh clean, thus allowing users who were in the room to check if another interesting room is available.

The other one is to kick host and give the lead to somebody else. The thing that bothers me a bit with this last suggestion is that you would give host to somebody that didn't want it in the first place (this person would have created his own room if it was the case). I suspect then that this player would quit the room, giving host to somebody else, who would quit too and in a domino effect would result in a room deletion. I have seen this scenario so many times that I think a simple room deletion would be quicker to handle.
there's already a request for the second option there: t/102344/ - discuss that over there

So please, change the title. Deleting the room because there are no plays makes no sense.
TheVileOne
Wouldn't this only make sense if the host is physically inactive from osu?

When osu goes idle, it changes your status to AFK. This triggers the timecount for room deletion. If you're chatting, or active in osu!, then obviously you're not afk, and your status will show up as Multiplaying. Stop worrying about mysteriously being kicked from a room, it wouldn't happen like that if you're active. Active doesn't mean playing songs, it means actually doing things in osu!

Edit: The AFK trigger could also mark the status of the room as AFK and then can be toggled from view.
theowest

TheVileOne wrote:

Wouldn't this only make sense if the host is physically inactive from osu?

When osu goes idle, it changes your status to AFK. This triggers the timecount for room deletion. If you're chatting, or active in osu!, then obviously you're not afk, and your status will show up as Multiplaying. Stop worrying about mysteriously being kicked from a room, it wouldn't happen like that if you're active. Active doesn't mean playing songs, it means actually doing things in osu!

Edit: The AFK trigger could also mark the status of the room as AFK and then can be toggled from view.
that's exactly what I've been talking about.
Uncle Buly
yes, i see this baka Rikka Ice always afking in rooms!!!
I'm not supporting this. C'mon people why should you care about this? I usually use multiplayer room to chat without playing and resting with friends!
No, just no.
deadbeat
then go support this so you don't have to use MP rooms to chat with lots of friends \:D/
theowest
also

theowest wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

then go support this so you don't have to use MP rooms to chat with lots of friends \:D/
No! Becuase we listen same songs too in multiplayer rooms.
theowest
...heh

think about that for a minute.
buny
i actually don't see that many rooms where people are afk

buny wrote:

i actually don't see that many rooms where people are afk
Leave osu! freedom alone, and request something really useful.
TheVileOne
Could we please have this or at least have an indication that a player is afk? You could even mark the whole room as an AFK room and we could filter afk rooms out.

Thoughts?
kurufu

TheVileOne wrote:

Could we please have this or at least have an indication that a player is afk? You could even mark the whole room as an AFK room and we could filter afk rooms out.

Thoughts?
I have run into this recently all the time. Having to go into a room and !stats'ing the host to see that hes afk is really annoying when it could just mark the room as AFK (and then filter them out). +support if the host could edit this in as an alternative into the OP.
I really dont care if the room stays up as long as I can know to avoid it without having to waste my time figuring out if the host is afk or not.
peppy
This is implemented in the next bancho update.
Low

peppy wrote:

This is implemented in the next bancho update.
\o/
Topic Starter
XPJ38
How is it implemented? There were so many ideas thrown in this thread it's hard to guess.

edit:

theowest wrote:

Woops sorry, I forgot the thread after my last post so I missed yours.
I'll update the title to avoid any confusion in the future as soon as I know which idea has been chosen.
theowest
Maybe bancho is going to kick you once you're afk in the room, if you're the host.
deadbeat
[peppy] Automatically disband multiplayer games which have been inactive for over 30 minutes.
i wonder what defines inactive :(
theowest
AFK for 30 minutes?