forum

selection-xxxx and selection-xxxx-over questions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CyberInduction
I want to make the selection-xxxx-over glow instead of replacing the image of selection-xxxx and I know I have to use transparent .png file to make this happen. But, I have no idea how to make it 'glow'. I think I have a basic idea of how to do it but I have little experience with GIMP so I'm not sure if I'm approaching it correctly.

For example, let's say I have a shuffle icon somewhere in selection-random.png. Am I supposed to enlarge the shuffle icon and fill it with another color and call it a day? if I do this, wouldn't it just overlap the shuffle icon and cover it up? Is there a video that helps to guide me through this?
Draycon
If you want for it to glow - you just need add glow to your elements in selection-xxxx-over. Selection-xxxx-over replacing selection-xxxx when you hover over it so selection-xxxx-over is the same picture as selection-xxxx just with glowing elements (or just glowing itself). (I don't know how to make glow in GIMP so it's on you).
Topic Starter
CyberInduction

Draycon wrote:

If you want for it to glow - you just need add glow to your elements in selection-xxxx-over. Selection-xxxx-over replacing selection-xxxx when you hover over it so selection-xxxx-over is the same picture as selection-xxxx just with glowing elements (or just glowing itself). (I don't know how to make glow in GIMP so it's on you).

Ok I think I understand now. Just to verify, I should make the -over.png the same image as the non hover image and then add some glow effects to it right?
Draycon
Yeah, you can make it full image or like this:

Selection-mods:

Selection-mods-over:

The thing is that -over determines your icon hitbox so Selection-xxxx can be any size (for example, selection-options):

But over is:

Considering this, I make background on one layer and icon on another so I can just make -over by copying icon layer and make some manipulations. Sorry if it's confusing, sometimes I'm bad at explaining.
Topic Starter
CyberInduction
ah I was actually using Kirigiri skin as a reference guide because it's nicely made.

Just one question in regards to your skin:

Must selection-mode be the image that also include the skinning of the top right portion of the song selection mode(With Group, Sort, Collections, etc)? Or could I actually skin that top right portion and include it in another image?
Draycon
Top bar quite tricky thing - there are 2 methods to do it (at least that I know):
-Using mode-x-small;
-Using selection-mode (other selection-xxxx ruins interface in multi)

Top right thing could be done by any of these two. *(There are no files that dedicated to top bar at all)
If background made in selection-mode - it should fade out to left because of the anchor point of selection-mode (you can read about it here).
But in mode-x-small - background can cover top bar fully (because anchor point - centre of the image)
One more thing - when making top right thing you should cover "Group" and "Sort" with selection-mode (that's why I used selection-mode for this).

*Selection-tab but it's just buttons.
Topic Starter
CyberInduction
thanks for the info. so mode-x-small can cover the entirety of the top portion while selection-mode covers the top right correct? I make it fade out to the left thru skin-ini right?
Yenko521
Yeah, mode-x-small can cover the whole top panel. And element positioning and anchoring doesn't have anything to do with skin.ini.
Topic Starter
CyberInduction
so should I use mode-x-small AND selection-mode or should I just use one or the other?
Draycon

CyberInduction wrote:

so should I use mode-x-small AND selection-mode or should I just use one or the other?

It depends on you, if you not sure - try looking at other people's skins (You can just trace over it and look what happens if you do this or that).