forum

Holiday

posted
Total Posts
show more
winber1
I dressed up as a sweaty asian last year
Vext_old
Guy at my job gave me the idea for this one, too bad I am too lazy to actually do it.

Get a bunch of cheap random shit from discount Halloween section, mix match hook hand and tiara and emo wig and whatever, then when they ask what you are you say "I am the hobo that lives in the dumpster behind the costume store"

IT'S SO META
Restless Spirit
Here we don't really celebrate Halloween. Some people think it's a pity. I don't care. You know why? Because I always dress like it's halloween so nobody would even notice a difference.
If we talk about holidays in general: I'll stay at home most of the time playing Touhou, osu! and Skyrim.
Lunhui
I only chill at home . meet my friends.
And we celebrate Halloween o: Halloween partys fuck yeah ! o:
Restless Spirit

Kur0ni wrote:

Well most people in my town do not celebrate it. Dunno what's with all the other millions of ppl living in Germany.
Cyclohexane
Not gonna do anything, I'm afraid. Maybe hang out on Vent like I do every day.
Vish024
I should probably get back on vent with you guys sometime.

Then again I've been saying that for a while now.
Wojjan
Halloween is a celebration of fear. It's symbolic of confronting what makes us uncomfortable and enjoying it. It reminds us that it's ok to be scared, and that often it's not really as bad as we think. It is a grounding sort of celebration that both reminds us we are alive and gives us some perspective on day-to-day living.

Vandalism is practiced exclusively by shitty teenagers, it is not a core tradition of the holiday. The candy is supposed to be a reward for children who dare to approach a spookily-decorated house, not knowing what is on the other side of the door. "Sexy" costumes are a problem created by the lazy, uncreative people who established a market for them, and again is not a core element of the holiday.

Regardless of whatever perceived separation there is between the meaning of the holiday and the number of people who observe it "seriously", it is still my opinion that is is a stronger, more meaningful holiday than any of the other major ones. Christmas would be great if it were "be generous to dudes", but it's not. I've known very, very few people who actually give to the less fortunate on Christmas, and I don't mean dropping some cheapo toy off in a donation dumpster either. My experience has been that it is another "a time for family" holiday and an exchanging of gifts. And that's fine. But you don't see Halloween supplies clogging up stores three to four motherfucking months before the holiday. Or hear the same terrible whitebread seasonal songs over and over and over and over and over. Conversely, I don't think anyone could object to Monster Mash or Thriller (the latter only being the best selling record of all time). And although the number of good horror movies wins by a landslide, can be enjoyed year round and is not debatable, I will concede A Christmas Story, Die Hard and possibly the Rankin/Bass film. BUT NOT NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION. Halloween wins. It's just fun. That's what a celebration should be.
Vish024
Hmm, I suppose we think of it differently here in Aus. Any excuse will do for a holiday.

So um...what about Thanksgiving? Isn't that meaningful...ish?
Cyclohexane
The coward I am can only agree with Wojjan's post.

Also what is thanksgiving I'm French so I don't know.

(I'm kidding, I do and I've had people explain it to me way too many times than I'd like to admit, so don't)
Wojjan

LaVolpe024 wrote:

"I am fortunate to have, therefore I will prepare more food than I could possibly eat instead of sharing my wealth with the less fortunate".

???
Topic Starter
go_green_old
harharhar....
i don't know what you all talking about :D
Lunhui

Powersocke wrote:

Kur0ni wrote:

Well most people in my town do not celebrate it. Dunno what's with all the other millions of ppl living in Germany.
Well I don't know where you live o:
sorry when I write 'we' I mean my friends and myself, and not everybody in Germany. ^^
you are right o: not everyone celebrate Halloween ;D
Vish024

Wojjan wrote:

LaVolpe024 wrote:

"I am fortunate to have, therefore I will prepare more food than I could possibly eat instead of sharing my wealth with the less fortunate".

???
America at its finest.
LiLi
new plans! I'll just wait for the presents and eat :)
clmnt
^ sounds good to me.
OzzyOzrock
I wanna be a Spy :(
DaddyCoolVipper

Wojjan wrote:

Halloween is a celebration of fear. It's symbolic of confronting what makes us uncomfortable and enjoying it. It reminds us that it's ok to be scared, and that often it's not really as bad as we think. It is a grounding sort of celebration that both reminds us we are alive and gives us some perspective on day-to-day living.

Vandalism is practiced exclusively by shitty teenagers, it is not a core tradition of the holiday. The candy is supposed to be a reward for children who dare to approach a spookily-decorated house, not knowing what is on the other side of the door. "Sexy" costumes are a problem created by the lazy, uncreative people who established a market for them, and again is not a core element of the holiday.

Regardless of whatever perceived separation there is between the meaning of the holiday and the number of people who observe it "seriously", it is still my opinion that is is a stronger, more meaningful holiday than any of the other major ones. Christmas would be great if it were "be generous to dudes", but it's not. I've known very, very few people who actually give to the less fortunate on Christmas, and I don't mean dropping some cheapo toy off in a donation dumpster either. My experience has been that it is another "a time for family" holiday and an exchanging of gifts. And that's fine. But you don't see Halloween supplies clogging up stores three to four motherfucking months before the holiday. Or hear the same terrible whitebread seasonal songs over and over and over and over and over. Conversely, I don't think anyone could object to Monster Mash or Thriller (the latter only being the best selling record of all time). And although the number of good horror movies wins by a landslide, can be enjoyed year round and is not debatable, I will concede A Christmas Story, Die Hard and possibly the Rankin/Bass film. BUT NOT NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION. Halloween wins. It's just fun. That's what a celebration should be.
It's actually a Christian holiday, All Saints' (Hallows) Eve, and tomorrow's All Saints' Day.

Halloween is a ballin'-ass holiday though.
Kanye West
Hell, I ain't complainin' 'bout the slutty costumes!
Rii_old_1
and lolis
Baron Nefarious
RISE FROM THE GRAVE

Foxtrot
GenoClysm
So here's all of these people at school wearing their costumes right, i come in with nothing.
When my friends ask me what my costume is, i just told them "I'm a homicidal maniac. They look just like ordinary people until they pull out a gun."
No, i'm not going trick or treating and i'm not going to any parties.
Just eating out of the candy bag.
South
happy Halloween everybody
boat
hab a spoopy haloween everynyan