forum

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rimuru Tempest
There were too many damn ranked maps, so I wrote this post before.
I think I wrote this for nothing.. I don't care much now.
lewski
I got the feeling that you look at or play recently ranked maps a lot, so here's a fun thing you can try:

When you find a map that just feels worthless to you, like you described in your post, write down the mapper's name. If you see a lot of worthless maps from the same mapper, ignore their maps. This can make it easier to find better maps, because yes, people do still make and rank decent maps.
honne
I have a lot of OSU coin but I can assure you there is no shame.

Not sure what your argument turns into after the first paragraph but that's fine because it is your opinion. However when someone chooses to do something they aren't doing it for you- but themselves. The game is almost strictly community driven and promoted content in the game is not as generally bad as you see it to be. You even said it yourself with an apology to those who like "these maps" or whatever you consider "Song ignoretic robotic metronome mapping". The fact that every map is different means that you should look for more things to do in the game instead of dwelling on the fact that you don't like a specific type of map.

I hope you can find peace in osu!. Maybe even some OSU coin will come your way :3c
Topic Starter
Rimuru Tempest
@lewski
Yes, that's really the case.
I don't have to play those maps, but I have a minor grievance about some people saying those are standard.
So to speak, most of new players have no choice but to play new ranked maps. No wonder they think it's the norm.
haha I just don't like it very much. Maybe I'm the only one who cares about this stuff. XD

@BlastTheKidd
Whatever mapper seek and express about their mapping, I don't care.
But I can't think that some of the mappers map for their 'map'
I can't pay respect to theier maps.
I feel like they don't have passion to their works. I feel ill at ease seeing those.
If they really have self-esteem to their Ranked map itself, they map when they are sleeping and I'm badman to them.
If not, something is wrong. The means and purpose have changed seriously I think.
Pachiru
Don't wanna be a party pooper, but there is A LOT of maps with different styles and there is more diversity than it used to be in the past. Indeed, there is a lot of so-called "pp maps" in the ranking section, but there is also a huge amount of maps that goes off the boundaries and I think that there is maps for everyone's taste. You just have to dig deep into the beatmaps listings and I'm sure you'll find what you want.

Now, if you still disagrees, nothing stop you from opening the editor, placing some circles, and making a whole mapset that follows what you are looking for in this game. There is a lot of tutorials and inspirations all around the Internet so I figure you won't have problem to find that.
Topic Starter
Rimuru Tempest

Pachiru wrote:

Don't wanna be a party pooper, but there is A LOT of maps with different styles and there is more diversity than it used to be in the past. Indeed, there is a lot of so-called "pp maps" in the ranking section, but there is also a huge amount of maps that goes off the boundaries and I think that there is maps for everyone's taste. You just have to dig deep into the beatmaps listings and I'm sure you'll find what you want.

Now, if you still disagrees, nothing stop you from opening the editor, placing some circles, and making a whole mapset that follows what you are looking for in this game. There is a lot of tutorials and inspirations all around the Internet so I figure you won't have problem to find that.

Did you really read what I wrote? Or is my english poor to understand? I am not talking about pp mapping meta is bad.
I am saying a number of insincere maps are being ranked is sad.
I am not a mapper. A player. But player can feel somthing like values melted in map by creater during gameplay.
I am not complaining beacuse map is out of my taste. I am complaining about 'map feels like melted no passion' is bad.
abraker
In mania a big issue is that modding removes a lot of quarks the mapper puts into the map that characterizes the mapper's own style including various nuances. Modding in that sense tends to gravitate to the same bland style +/- whatever the mapper managed convince modders & BN is not an issue. Idk if that is present in std mapping, but it would explain the "as a player I can feel something like values melted in map by creator during gameplay" part very much.

Anyone who focuses on modding eventually starts being more and more selective of imperfections in patterns as they try to conform to ranking criteria perfection. What they often fail to realize is that those imperfections are what makes the map more natural and unique. It's like manufacturing artificial vs finding something made by nature.

Pachiru wrote:

Don't wanna be a party pooper, but there is A LOT of maps with different styles and there is more diversity than it used to be in the past.
Yea true there are more styles, but all the nuances has been smoothed out by the modding, making the maps of similar styles feel all too similar.

Now I am not advocating to nuke modding. It's an important process to catch mistakes. It's just that modding goes overkill on what is really a mistake via subjectivity. When you take the average of what the community thinks, you smooth the rough edges of the map and make it converge to all other maps of similar style.
Zelzatter Zero
Sad that when you actually make/rank something truly standout, then your comment section will be like "This map sucks", "Why/How does this ranked?", "This is trash", etc. (Also, even maps for Aspire contest, which ignores RC and requires creativity, still have hates). That explains a lot the reason why generic mapping is now everywhere these days. Don't just blame the mapper, blame the minority of the player base too.