forum

[Editor] Template Gallery

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +10
Topic Starter
Wafu
Well, I decided to suggest this. This stuff could help mappers to make map faster and It won't force him to find anything he want to copy and paste again.
How it will work:

1. You'll make your pattern or slider
2. You'll select it and pres CTRL+(key)
3. It'll save this pattern or slider into the template gallery
4. If you'll want to use your pattern just press CTRL+(key2) and it will open the window, where will be shown all patterns you saved (of course they will save into the map file and they will be deletable to don't show them to others) and you'll select one of them which will be pasted into the map.

What it will prevent? Mapper won't search one pattern in 5minute map, but he will easily and fastly search them in the gallery.

I hope you like my idea and I hope this'll be added. I don't see any reason why not.
deadbeat
so its like a clipboard for the editor that stores patterns and certain sliders?
Carlos
like the library in Flash? mmm that could be useful for some people, but for some reason I do not like it, just think of bookmarks.
(I ♥ Bookmarks :D).
bwross
Storing it in maps like the OP says makes it essentially clipboardy.

When I think gallery (and I've developed it for applications before), I think about the possibility to create template libraries and share them. For example, someone could assemble a template library for heart sliders and post and maintain it for everyone to use. Providing bookmarks to examples of every type of heart as they appear in dozens of maps is much more impractical than importing one database file.
Topic Starter
Wafu
Btw. I don't think that nonmappers could comment this.
winber1
I don't see a need for this to be honest. I'm a pretty spontaneous type of mapper anyways, I just map things on the spot. I don't really take patterns from other sections very much, and if I do, I remember clearly where it is because it is a special pattern that I'd like to repeat.

Also, are you suggesting that this is map specific? Because if you are suggesting that there should be a general clipboard for these patterns, then it's gonna be hard to adjust certain patterns to different BPMs. And frankly, having to make a new clipboard for every single map just seems unreasonable and not really worth it, but I'm just a lazy person, and I don't like preparing things like beatmaps (I just map; however, even mapping I don't even really do right now anymore lol).
Zare

winber1 wrote:

I don't see a need for this to be honest. I'm a pretty spontaneous type of mapper anyways, I just map things on the spot. I don't really take patterns from other sections very much, and if I do, I remember clearly where it is because it is a special pattern that I'd like to repeat.
Pretty much this. Even if I map two similiar sliders they, in most cases, don't look exactly the same.
However I do know that's just my personal style, I know other people like to repeat certain parts/patterns/sliders, so such people probably think diffrent bout this..
But I also think, If I were to use this, I would forget what patterns are saved to what keys immediately :x

So, no real support from me, I'd like to see other people's opinions tho
bwross
The thing is that you don't have to use it to produce the same slider or pattern... you just use it to get the basic anchor points or objects down quickly and adjust it from there.

And the definition of a pattern needs to be just that... a pattern that's not actually absolute or specific about things, but relative and capable of being adjusted to different scales of BPM, SV, spacing, etc. (basically, this means that the definitions need to be made independent of the original BPM). Even when things fail at the extremes, the nature of a gallery is that it can also easily provide an additional library designed for specifically for the extreme case.

Also, I don't think dragonxcz was talking about putting each pattern on a different key. He just didn't give a specific key for saving (CTRL-"key") or bringing up the template gallery (CTRL-"key2"). There are only two of them.
deadbeat

bwross wrote:

Also, I don't think dragonxcz was talking about putting each pattern on a different key. He just didn't give a specific key for saving (CTRL-"key") or bringing up the template gallery (CTRL-"key2"). There are only two of them.
maybe use some slider styles/patterns from here for a template?
Topic Starter
Wafu

deadbeat wrote:

bwross wrote:

maybe use some slider styles/patterns from here for a template?
It will be your custom template... you'll make something about 20 slider styles which you will use in your map and you'll save them into your gallery, not taking foreign sliders.
bwross
The thing is that if it is just your custom template for a map, then it's not useful enough to bother coding. To be useful, the templates need to be available for any map you make, and need to be able to be exported/imported so that other people can use them. You don't have to share your templates, but the ability for other people to do so is what makes this sort of thing worthwhile.

One of the things this can help with is creating a slider palette for new mappers. Using curve tools isn't something that's immediately obvious to everyone... and getting down the initial points can be a huge step. That's why there's a thread on making sliders showing the anchor points needed to make many of the common sliders... but there's no reason why the program shouldn't be able to put down those points for you (and let you tweak them as needed after). And using templates and sharing them is a way to do that.
Soner Wolf
I was thinking the same thing!
Topic Starter
Wafu

bwross wrote:

then it's not useful enough to bother coding
...It's the same like you'd map anything and it will save into another osb and then it will be only copy+paste into your map... so hard right? Why you're just posting there if you don't understand this..
deadbeat
copy pasting into a map might be a bad idea due to variables such as bpm, slider velocity and slider length.
bwross

dragonxcz wrote:

bwross wrote:

then it's not useful enough to bother coding
...It's the same like you'd map anything and it will save into another osb and then it will be only copy+paste into your map... so hard right?
Well, that's my point... to be worth coding it needs to do much more than just act as a clipboard. Copy and paste can already be done, so there's not much use in coding it again.
theowest
I'd prefer to have a library of combo patterns. I mean, every combo colour pattern is stored and you could add previous patterns from the library. I hope this doesn't sound too messy.

edit: Sorted by the time they appear.
Saten
This could be useful when modding.
I often see mods with codes on improved sliders or something like that.
Topic Starter
Wafu
I agree with theowest and Saten. I thibk you both know why I just want this.
winber1

Saten wrote:

This could be useful when modding.
ohohohohohahahohaohoa.

now I am starting to change my mind about what i said earlier. However, I still think this is unnecessary for mapping so i wouldn't support this for mapping reasons. but if this could make implementing codes easier for mods, HOLY SHIT YES.
Bara-
Bump
We absolutely need this