forum

Taiko gameplay mods. And should they be changed?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Public-Sama

The Issue

I have had an issue with the taiko gameplay mods ever since I started playing. Now, most of the time when i was a low level taiko player, I just chalked it down to me sucking at the game. But now I have improved to a moderately good level and yet I still find myself struggling to play with the mods. This is the basic issue and I have wondered what other people's opinions on this topic are.
PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE POSTING
Each mod addressed individually:
Hard Rock
I belive Hard Rock is THE most balanced mod out of all of the taiko gameplay mods. There isn't much to say as I personally find it reasonably playable and occasionally fun to play.

Double Time
Obviously again, Double Time is also a fairly balanced mod. But the problem that I and I hope others seem to find is that the OD rise is fairly high for taiko making it so many players must add Easy mod to get decent Double Time plays on higher * and sometimes lower * maps. An easy tweak is to just lower the OD buff and then I think the mod will become a whole lot more playable.

Hidden
Ever since the patch where the black bar was added for players who play with different resolutions. I think Hidden has become THE worst mod. I find the mod readable to an extent until it comes to higher * maps and tech maps with which it then becomes barely readable. I think an easy way to fix this mod is to make the notes disappear further down the track or alternatively make the fade out slower. It is especially noticeable when adding Hard Rock with Hidden, it seems then to become a memory and precision challenge which I and I hope others do not find fun.

Flashlight
Flashlight as a mod isn't terrible. Obviously many people associate Flashlight with memorising a map and that can be done as seen by some very impressive plays made by players. But I think a possible tweak is to make the actual Flashlight area larger or make it so the are shrinks less when higher combos are achieved

An Idea For a Taiko Mod
Lastly I would just like to put this idea out here to see what others think. A mod in the special category called "Inverse" where obviously Dons and Kats would be flipped to opposite (Kat and Don respectively) I think it would just be a fun little mod to add to taiko and add some more replayablilty to maps and the mode overall.
ayyEve
HR: i find hard rock really messes up maps with random speedups and ninjas, (usually) making them impossible to play on the first play, which can be annoying if you're a high level player who can easily pass it nomod first try

DT: i agree doubletime messes with the hitwindow a bit too much making decent plays really hard, but then again, it is meant for higher level players.

HD: i also agree this is the worst mod to play. the black bar makes it really dumb to read notes, since it locks you into a 4:3 type screen, when i think most people play 16:9 (at least i do)

FL: no real opinion on this since it really is meant for map memorization plays

"Inverse": this wouldnt really work out very well since most maps set kats and dons to go with the map, and inverting them would make maps sound pretty weird

Just my thoughts
Nao Tomori
inverse could be cool, abekobe basically (like mirror mod in mania)
apaajaboleh10
The way DT works is they multiply/divide everything by 1.5. As a result, the time window for perfect acc is divided by 1.5. In standard, for every number the OD drops, the time window for perfect acc is increased by +- 6 ms, where OD 10 has a time window of 19.5 ms. In taiko, while OD 10 still has a 19.5 ms time window, the time window is increased by +- 3 ms for every OD drops (This works slightly different for decimal number OD). This 3 ms increment creates a situation where the time window for DT is always smaller than HR for the same OD, where the closest one is OD 7 (+ HR = OD 9.8 (19.5 ms) while + DT = 19 ms).