forum

Would anyone be interested in this tourney idea?

posted
Total Posts

Would any of you be interested in this casual tournament idea?

Yes
91.67%
No
8.33%
Total votes: 84
Topic Starter
awesomebash
Recently I've been trying to find fellow osu! players to little success. So this got me thinking and I think creating a weekly casual 4v4 tournament with random teams and no prize pool with the objective of making friends with other osu! players would be great. If there is already a tournament like this please tell me, if not then please tell me if anyone would be interested in participating in one.
Lexic
Idk if anyone has done this, but i'd definitely be interested
Clarkyclarker
No rank limits then sure
Stan
I'd be interested in witnessing this, but how would you do this weekly? It'd seem like a lot of effort to make that happen
Topic Starter
awesomebash

Stan wrote:

I'd be interested in witnessing this, but how would you do this weekly? It'd seem like a lot of effort to make that happen

Maybe I'm underestimating the effort it takes to run this type of tournament but it doesn't seem like too much work would have to go in to it besides picking the maps, creating the teams, and running the bracket.
mixmg
Point of tournament like this is a team play. How do you want to force people to not leave the match. 4v4 is good if you have 8 members on you're team who can change player when he's absent, and they are known each other skills and play style. It's a good idea but 4v4 is too much maybe 2v2 would be better.
pundice
i've never heard of a tournament like this

i would definitely be interested in participating. sounds like a lot of fun
ruyu
i inherited a weekly tourney like this and hosted it for about half a year. it is a lot of work as poolers need to get their work in early in the week, and getting people to sign up becomes more and more difficult as time passes. you definitely need a dedicated staff---poolers, a couple playtesters, and available referees. but its an excellent community building format and i've made lots of good friends! i'd be willing to help out as i have some experience there
tarrigan
This idea seems really great, hope you can make something out of this.
Lucia Nanami
Go for it, btw i addednu pls mutual back new friendo B)
Kontry
I would love to see this, especially without a rank limit -cries in noob-
IMaxwellI
You definitely underestimate the effort it takes to run this type of tournament.
I don't have experience in osu! tournaments, but I have been hosting tournaments and currently a league in RocketLeague for years and I think the effort should be equal to that.

For osu! you'd probably have to have a set mappool that changes in a certain interval, you need people to sign up every week and you need some way to get those random people to form teams, as well as someone who administrates the tournament or you will have A LOT of work to do...

My recommendations from my RocketLeague background:
1) Don't make the tournaments too often. Keep it regular, but every week is too often.
Most people only have time at the weekend or troughout the evenings. But you have to count with the time the most people can play - weekend.
So you'd have 2 days a week where people CAN play (at least one day) for sure.

So the tournament would have to be on the weekend.
So Monday - Friday = preparation, Saturday + Sunday = tournament.

Preparation is key
I would recommend you to host it every 2 weeks. That gives you, your staff and your players more time to prepare.

2) Be clear about the process the tournament runs.
Like play it through, from start to finish. Does it work out? What are the problems people could run in to and ask you.
How can you provide them with tools to make the process of signing up, as well as team building easier? (e.g. Discord, Spreadsheet)

3) You have a pool of random players with random skill. Keep that in mind.
You'll need to decide a difficulty for the mappool. Also think about how you could prevent people from forming high rank teams against low rank teams. How can that be prevented?

4) How professional do you want to tournament series to be?
You can make to professional and put in a lot of work, or make it un-professionell and make yourself an easy life.
But keep in mind: The more you pre-think, pre-plan and preparate, the better the tournament will be received and the higher the propability of people resigning up.

----------------------
So yea, the 4th point said it all.
Your idea can develop into a great and well received thing, or it can be a one-timer that is gone as fast as it appeared.

If you want to make the move and create this series: make the process as easy as possible and as error-free as possible for your players. Every great tournament series started small once.
Meisa
I agree with the guy above me, it would be something would take a lot of people so I would be interested in helping out.
nyarvis
Sounds fun, I'm interested in participating. I don't have any skill in making a tournament, but I want to help creating this, so if you want a noob to help in something, then I'm here.
cloudfags
yes if taiko :^)