forum

Osu!mania ghosting [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
VoidnOwO
:)
deadbeat
wait. is this a request or a bug?
peppy
Change your bindings. Keyboards are made with regions which can't be pressed together, but you can usually work around this by changing which areas of the keyboard you are using.
Topic Starter
VoidnOwO
Sakura
According to that i can hold 7 keys at the same time (more if i use different regions) and my keyboard is pretty old so i don't see this being an issue?

On that note, this isn't stepmania, this is osu!mania (which is based off beatmania i think, not DDR)
Full Tablet
I think most laptop and non-gaming keyboards support up to 3 keys at the same time. Even, there are some 3 key combinations that are impossible to press at the same time in my laptop (most of them contiguous keys). Also, my Blackwidow doesn't support pressing fghj at the same time for some reason (not that I use these keys for playing though).
Ohrami
Buy a better keyboard.
Mukku

Kyou-kun wrote:

Buy a better keyboard.
He is not asking for a solution to a problem that he doesn't have. He is merely pointing out that some keyboards have this problem and it might be cool if it could be fixed or something.

What were you thinking!?
Topic Starter
VoidnOwO
Backstabber
It can only be fixed if you buy a better keyboard. It's a hardware issue inside the keyboard. The circuits are weird that way.

Bonus: If you have let's say 11KRO (how many keys the manufacturer says you can press at the time) that might only be for 11 specific keys. So ESC, shit and some other random buttons might not work, even if it's less than 11 or what ever.
Topic Starter
VoidnOwO
Parog

BRBP wrote:

Backstabber wrote:

It can only be fixed if you buy a better keyboard. It's a hardware issue inside the keyboard. The circuits are weird that way.

Bonus: If you have let's say 11KRO (how many keys the manufacturer says you can press at the time) that might only be for 11 specific keys. So ESC, shit and some other random buttons might not work, even if it's less than 11 or what ever.

Nah, it can also be fixed by removing those ridiculous 6-keys-at-a-time parts on some 7K maps. Fine, 4 may be a problem mostly to laptops, but 6 is getting a bit too high, don't you think?

You're asking to redesign thousands of maps here.

"ghosting" as the gaming corporations marketed the issue ( or feature ) has something to do with how information is sent through the circuits. It really has something to do with the keyboards and is MUCH easier to fix by opening notepad and hitting a combination of 6-8 keys until you figure out which ones can be sent together.

I bought a really thin logitech illuminated keyboard once, looked great but I couldn't press space if "W" was down, playing fps competitively at that point was a deal breaker. You request is as unrealistic as it would have been for me to ask the devs of my favorite FPS to make the game easier by removing or automating sprinting.

While finding different hotkeys is not the perfect solution, I have to say this. Welcome to gaming. Some hardware will limit your gaming experience.

Quick Tip: That limitation is a lot more common of USB keyboards. Try finding an old PS2 plug keyboard, you should be able to press every single key at once. Most mechanical keyboards also support pressing every key down at once.
theowest

Parog wrote:

You're asking to redesign thousands of maps here.
osu! maps were not designed for osu!mania. You'd just have to change how osu!mania converts osu! diffs.

It's ridiculous to force players to buy new keyboards because of the limit. 4 is more than enough.
Backstabber

theowest wrote:

osu! maps were not designed for osu!mania. You'd just have to change how osu!mania converts osu! diffs.

It's ridiculous to force players to buy new keyboards because of the limit. 4 is more than enough.
No one is forcing anyone. What you are talking about would also mean that mappers can not make maps that require pressing more than 4 keys, which is not needed. You should not limit the game because some people have obsolete equipment.
Topic Starter
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Lybydose
First, "ghosting" has nothing to do with simultaneous key presses.

Second, none of the current maps were created with any intention of ever being played in osu!mania. This is because osu!mania is a new game mode and 99.99% of the current maps were made without any knowledge that osu!mania would ever even exist. It's likely that all future maps will continue to completely ignore osu!mania, because those maps will be made to be played in osu! standard game mode.

At some point in the future, osu!mania specific maps will be allowed, and people will make maps that are specifically optimized to be played under the new mode. They will probably continue to have areas with 4+ keys. Just because you are unable to hit it, doesn't mean we should deny the ability to map like that for all the people who can.

Third, if your keyboard can't handle the simultaneous hits, either get a new keyboard, change your bindings to keys that can be hit at the same time, or play an easier difficulty that doesn't have 4+ keys at once.
Topic Starter
VoidnOwO
Lybydose
Ghosting is a really old problem that no modern keyboard should ever have. It involves hitting a key and it inputs extra ghost keys.
Topic Starter
VoidnOwO
Sakura
What you just read is microsoft's "Anti-ghosting" technique.

As we discussed above, when only pressing three keys in certain configurations, a fourth key would appear to also be pressed because a circuit would be completed ‘traveling backwards' along the normal routes established by each of the three contacts.
in certain configurations, a fourth key would appear to also be pressed because a circuit
a fourth key would appear to also be pressed
This appears to be what Lybydose was talking about, you're using the wrong concept.

http://www.microsoft.com/appliedscience ... ained.mspx

Edit: Oh hey, you got it as well too:

Modern keyboards detect ghosting and instead of registering a fourth key will ignore the third key, which is known as jamming. Which keys jam when pressed together differs between brands and models of keyboards.
From your previous post.

Edit 2: Also why are we posting about the ghosting definition in here... ghosting isn't a problem that needs to be solved by osu! or mappers. Marking as invalid.
bwross

BRBP wrote:

"Modern keyboards detect ghosting and instead of registering a fourth key will ignore the third key, which is known as jamming. Which keys jam when pressed together differs between brands and models of keyboards."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_%28key%29

Your turn
I think you just defeated yourself with that last quote, which uses ghosting correctly... the "fourth key" isn't one that's been hit, it's the "ghost" key. The ignoring of hit keys is "jamming".

I'm not one to trust Microsoft on matters of jargon unless it's jargon that originated there.
Topic Starter
VoidnOwO
Ohrami

BRBP wrote:

Macro keys --> a feature in expensive equipment --> gets you banned
Being able to hit many keys simultaneously --> a feature in expensive equipment --> the lack of it is not your problem

Makes sense
Yeah, it does. Deal with it.
bugeyedbillyh
The only way to get around this problem is to change your keybindings or get a new keyboard- it's not a bug, it's just a keyboard's inability to meet the requirements to play osu! mania normally.

If you can only hit 3 keys at a time, you simply can't play osu! mania, no matter what peppy did.
HakuNoKaemi
Responses to posts:
First of all.
3-more key presses at osu!mania doesn't make any sense when converted from normal maps, you could just try to limit that problem.
Plus People won't buy expensive keyboard just for osu!.