forum

Public testing of new... public build

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
Over the last couple of years, osu! development has been slightly slowed by the fact that the code base was split into two separate branches. One contained awesomeness like osz2 and per-hitobject samples, while the main public branch had to co-exist until the time was right to bring the changes across. I hoped to be able to do this earlier, but due to the complexity of all the elements involved – which has only increased over time – it has been put to the side in favour of getting more high-demand features and bug-fixes out there.

The time to fix this long-lasting problem is now. The next public build not only contains a new play mode (osu!mania), but also has osz2 support for beatmap submissions, and general support all-round. While osz2 files aren't yet being used for downloads and distribution, this is the first step in that direction.

Due to the number of changes in this new release – some which *I* don't even know are there – I am opting to release a semi-public release for those interested in helping test things out.

If you are going to participate in this testing, please read this post completely before jumping on board! I can't stress this enough.

Before running:
  1. You are going to be switching to the test build of osu!. You can do this from the osu! updater by selecting "Use Test Build". You do not need to be a supporter to use this build for the imminent future.
  2. It will maintain its own beatmap and score database, which means you should not lose any data. Even so, I cannot guarantee anything. Be prepared to have things go wrong!
  3. Ranking is disabled. Bancho is enabled. This may change.
  4. Report ALL ISSUES in this thread.
  5. I am not interested in osu!mania issues for now.
  6. Don't discuss this build anywhere else but this thread (that includes in-game chat).
Things I need you to test:
  1. Submit existing maps. Submit new maps. Make sure submission works flawlessly. Report anything that seems weird.
  2. First submissions of existing maps will do a full upload. Subsequent submissions should be super-fast.
  3. Make sure your beatmap database doesn't corrupt on startup. If it does, send me a copy.
  4. Make sure your local scores are still visible.
  5. Make sure osu! doesn't full process your songs at startup, or when adding new osz files etc.
Please don't just post failures. Tell me if you succeeded too! Did your map update work? Do you like how fast it updates now?!

If at any point you want to reset the new databases to test migration from old-public again, delete osu!test.db and osu!test_scores.db

WARNING: EVERYTHING MAY EXPLDODE.

To test, open the osu! updater and switch to test build.
mfw
Says that osu! has stopped working. :/
Nirankar
Crashes on launch...

Probleemhandtekening:
Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem: APPCRASH
Application Name: osu!shine.exe
Application Version: 1.3.3.7
Application Timestamp: 506c9ac5
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16850
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e211485
Exception Code: e0434f4d
Exception Offset: 0000b9bc
Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Landinstelling-id: 1043
Topic Starter
peppy
Did you put it in your osu! folder?
Rei Hakurei
can't connect to bancho (non-supporter) but able to use those supporter features hmm
Topic Starter
peppy
Which "supporter features"? Either way, bancho connection is not important to test what I want you to test.
Vish024
Rei Hakurei

peppy wrote:

Which "supporter features"?
any supporter feature that inaccessible w/o login as supporter in test build
Nirankar
Working fine after placing it in the osu! folder
Topic Starter
peppy
Please place the executable in your osu! folder.
Topic Starter
peppy

Rei_Fan49 wrote:

any supporter feature that inaccessible w/o login as supporter
Please provide screenshots and/or specific examples.
kingking9
I'm going to have this one post, and edit it as I find more bugs.

*Benchmark appears halfway off the screen. Note I have 3 screens, with osu! on the center one. Can't screenshot, as puush doesn't pick up the benchmark render.
*osu!mania defaults option in options menu doesn't hold preference (technically not osu!mania problem IMHO)
Rei Hakurei

peppy wrote:

Rei_Fan49 wrote:

any supporter feature that inaccessible w/o login as supporter
Please provide screenshots and/or specific examples.
thelewa
Local scores are just fine, and my beatmap database doesn't seem to have corrupted no matter how many times I start this thing up'

osu! does not do a full beatmap processing every time I start it up, but it often does a quick check (this is probably intended)
Topic Starter
peppy
Okay, so it's just the error message, not actual supporter features. Continue testing without a bancho connection.

kingking9 wrote:

I'm going to have this one post, and edit it as I find more bugs.
*Benchmark appears halfway off the screen. Note I have 3 screens, with osu! on the center one. Can't screenshot, as puush doesn't pick up the benchmark render.
Benchmark shouldn't be there, I will remove, thanks.

kingking9 wrote:

*osu!mania defaults option in options menu doesn't hold preference (technically not osu!mania problem IMHO)
Aware and is osu!mania specific.
Rei Hakurei
Bug: a map that i submitted on test build which is http://ha.ppy.sh/s/302 has beatmap id 302, possibly had comments from public server beatmap in id 302..
(don't care the osu!mania, because i'm just random test, really)
Nirankar
Only thing I've noticed so far is that my mouse wheel scroll often gets messed up...just now I finished watching an Auto replay and my mouse wheel stopped working all together inside of osu
Topic Starter
peppy

Rei_Fan49 wrote:

Bug: a map that i submitted on test build which is http://ha.ppy.sh/s/302 has beatmap id 302, possibly had comments from public server beatmap in id 302..
(don't care the osu!mania, because i'm just random test, really)
This is irrelevant. Test using public maps only.
Topic Starter
peppy

Nirankar wrote:

Only thing I've noticed so far is that my mouse wheel scroll often gets messed up...just now I finished watching an Auto replay and my mouse wheel stopped working all together inside of osu
Please confirm this doesn't also happen on public. I don't believe there have been any changes to mouse scrolling. If it is only happening on this build, try and find specific cases which work/don't work (volume adjustments vs editor for instance).
Topic Starter
peppy
A new build has been posted. Please update if you previously downloaded it.
Nirankar

peppy wrote:

Nirankar wrote:

Please confirm this doesn't also happen on public. I don't believe there have been any changes to mouse scrolling. If it is only happening on this build, try and find specific cases which work/don't work (volume adjustments vs editor for instance).
I can't put my finger on it... It works fine in the normal build. It just happens randomly sometimes, then I switch some menu's and it will randomly work again.

Example: Booted testbuild --> went to watch Tentacle! play Freedom Dive in Mania --> Still worked, so went back to the main-menu and checked the options --> went back to osu! mania and it stopped working --> screen back, went to taiko, where it didn't work either --> went back to normal osu (so out of the 'special' menu) and it worked again --> then back to Mania and it still worked

Don't have time to actually really look for the cause but makes no sense so far... I have a Microsoft Habu and never have any problems in the normal osu! (I could still scroll outside of the test build while the problem was there.
show more