forum

[Tutorial] How to Make a Pulsation (With Loop too)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kecco
Hi everyone!

I created this topic to explain you how to make a simple Pulsation in a Storyboard (by using Storyboard by Scripting) to make your map more special than the other ones.
Ok, here we go!

The objects we need to make a Pulsation are:
-A Background [Most used are : 1024x768 Best quality ORIGINAL; 800x600 medium quality ORIGINAL].
-The file used to make the Pulsation : The Background resized [640x480]
-A .osb file.

First Step:
Open the .osb file : Initially you will see This ↓
[Events]
//Background and Video events
//Storyboard Layer 0 (Background)
//Storyboard Layer 1 (Fail)
//Storyboard Layer 2 (Pass)
//Storyboard Layer 3 (Foreground)
//Storyboard Sound Samples

Usually, to make a storyboard, the Foreground line is the most used. We will work on this line.

Second Step:
Let's type the indispensable lines to make a Pulsation

-As I said, we will work on the Foreground line.

-First of all, let's type the file's line we need, like this ↓
Sprite,Foreground,Centre,"Pulse.jpg",320,240
The "Sprite" word implies that we are using a static object, obviously the Background.
The "Foreground" word implies that we are working on the Foreground section.
The "Centre" word implies that we are using the centre of the image as reference's position, this will affect the coordinates we're going to use.
"Pulse.jpg" is the name and it also might be the path of the file we are going to use. If this is placed in another folder (Example : SB) it should be "SB/Pulse.jpg".
"320,240" are the coordinates of the grid. In this case, 320,240 are matching to the grid's centre.

Third Step:
The scripts we need to make a Pulsation are the Fade line and the Scale line. They are those ↓
_F,[...],startopacity,endopacity
and
_S,[...],startscale,endscale
Example for Fade:
_F,2,75463,77106,1,0
The "F" letter stays for Fade.
The "2" number is the type of Fade, there are 3 types : 0 = Homogeneous; 1 = Fast at the begin and slow at the end; 2 = Slow at the begin and fast at the end.
The "75463" is the start of the event.
The "77106" is the end of the event.
The "1" is the opacity level at the begin of the event; in this case the opacity level is 1 (maximum) and it means that the event will start completely opaque. (You can also use half points such as 0.5,0.7 and so on, but always with dot (.) )
The "0" is the opacity level at the end of the event; in this case the opacity level is 0 (minimum) and it means that the event will end completely transparent/invisible. (You can also use half points such as 0.5,0.7 and so on, but always with dot (.) )

Example for Scale:
_S,2,75463,77106,1,1.2
The "S" letter stays for Scale (The Scale is sorta zoom).
The "2" number is the type of Scale, there are 3 types : 0 = Homogeneous; 1 = Fast at the begin and slow at the end; 2 = Slow at the begin and fast at the end.
The "1" is the scaling value for the beginning; in this case 1 = original dimension (You can also use half points such as 1.1, 1.2 and so on but it's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED use always the 1 as value at the beginning[/b])
The "1.2" is the scaling value for the ending; in this case 1.2 = 120% of the original dimension (You can also try to use half points such as 1.5 1.6 but don't exaggerate and remember to use always the dot to set the value)

IMPORTANT: To make the pulsation work is important use the same offsets both in Fade and in Scale.

Now, let's learn the Loop line.

The Loop line is very useful to make a storyboard with pulsations. The Loop is a script which allows , by setting the different values, of making the event work as many times as we setted, every period we decided to set. Hands-on!

The loop line is the following
_L,starttime,loopcount

Example for Loop:
L,195814,8

L stays for Loop
"195814" is the offset when the Loop starts"
"8" are the times the event repeats itself. Example : If I set 9, the event will repeat itself as many times as I setted = 9.

Loop and Pulsations.
Example :
L,195814,8
F,1,0,1875,0.5,0
S,1,0,1875,1,1.1

We studied the F and S lines, but why here is the begin's offset 0? That's because those lines belong to a Loop, that means the initial offset (0) is the same of the Loop (195814).
And the "1875" is the interval of the Loop, that means that every 1875ms the event repeats itself.
Also, why the lines which belong to a Loop have 2 spaces before? That's a rule: if a line belongs to a loop it need double space before.
The other values are the same of previous ones. Nothing new there.

You can find and study this type of storyboard on my map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/16233 ~ Edward Maya - This Is My Life (It's not an advertising Lowl)

That's All! I did just a little part of your work, now you have to improve yourself and become a very good storyboarder.
Though this is a simple Pulsation, it's a great start as storyboarder.

Also, Special Thanks to Card_N'FoRcE, who helped me to type this Tutorial.

See You Soon with other Tutorials~!
LuigiHann
why do people only make SB tutorials for things that make people ill
RandomJibberish
These only make you ill if you fail at using them

Edit: Wait this is suggesting you do it with the BG that's not a good idea unless it's veeeerrry subtle
Topic Starter
Kecco

LuigiHann wrote:

It's not just a Tutorial. As you can see I explained also some scripting lines. People, instead using this topic to make a Pulsation, is free to read this thread to learn the basic rules and how to make some scripting lines. That means people, by reading this, will be quite able to experiment other scripts.

Edit : Hey! At least I tried.
Card N'FoRcE

LuigiHann wrote:

RandomJibberish wrote:

These only make you ill if you fail at using them
Edit: Wait this is suggesting you do it with the BG that's not a good idea unless it's veeeerrry subtle
Hey guys, what the hell.

I mean, someone writes a litlle guide trying to explain how to make a simple storyboard that you can see in most maps storyboarded maps nowadays and this is what it gets?

You know what i don't see anymore here? Appreciation for trying to do something, whatever it may be.
I had many people asking me how to make this kind of thing before so i think this little guide can be of help.
I think this can be a good input for the "Storyboarding by scripting" thread, which i used to read often to learn how to storyboard properly.

To answer your "ill" matter: isn't it what modding is here for? If a storyboard has something that's not right, you tell the mapper about it.
You can't pretend mappers (especially new mappers) to make things perfectly from the first time, but you can help him to fix them.
That's why we use this "modding" process.

Also: if you don't like something either suggest how to make it better or totally ignore it, instead of saying "it's bad/useless" without any argumentation.

Damn, i always have to get angry for this silly things.
RandomJibberish
Oh, I appreciate the effort put into this, it's very helpful. I do stuff like this all the time. I'd personally reccomend that you should use one aspect of a BG, or another SB'd object, but this is a great introduction to a cool technique~

And this is definately better than strobing anyway lol
Niva
Oh my... Before you linked me to this, I don't even know how the "loop" parameter works...
Thanks. I found this is very useful for storyboard beginners like me. The language is very understandable and not confusing. Thanks once more! :P
Topic Starter
Kecco

Nivalis wrote:

Oh my... Before you linked me to this, I don't even know how the "loop" parameter works...
Thanks. I found this is very useful for storyboard beginners like me. The language is very understandable and not confusing. Thanks once more! :P
Gawd, a person who considers my work useful. I love you so much.
Haneii
Thank you sooo much. I'm still practicing with it but thanks to this post I think I'm getting the hang of it :)
wanhyrzh
Hey kecco!
You're great!
Today I just do my first try to make a SB,
and your tutorial helps me a lot! :)
Topic Starter
Kecco
Thank you, guys ^-^
La Cataline
thanks, great tutorial for the beginners.
lovhin456
Really helpful tutorial, thanks !! :3
Angel-X
I still dont get it.Ive watched doomsdays tutorial and followed the instructions on storyboards section of osu website but im still confused T_T.
Sekuyi
nice tutorial, thankies! :)
grumd
Good tutorial, nicely written.
Just fix here:
The "1" is the opacity level at the begin of the event; in this case the opacity level is 1 (maximum) and it means that the event will start completely opaque. (You can also use half points such as 0.5,0.7 and so on, but always with dot (.) )
The "0" is the opacity level at the begin of the event; in this case the opacity level is 0 (minimum) and it means that the event will end completely transparent/invisible. (You can also use half points such as 0.5,0.7 and so on, but always with dot (.)
Topic Starter
Kecco

grumd wrote:

Good tutorial, nicely written.
Just fix here:
The "0" is the opacity level at the begin of the event; in this case the opacity level is 0 (minimum) and it means that the event will end completely transparent/invisible. (You can also use half points such as 0.5,0.7 and so on, but always with dot (.)
Lol thank you.
Shourinkai
This has helped me a LOT! Thank you very much! :)
Yuuto Aoi
TT___TT
it doesn't worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk~~
the name appeared around 12497 when I set it on 6387 TT_TT
noneed
Thank you very much for this, thats awesome for people getting into storyboarding 'cause it also gives an actual idea how to storyboard with scripting. Well at least for me because I never knew you could also do this via scripting. :D
SinDemonDragon13
Great toturial! ^^
It helped me a lot!
Reduktion_old

Kecco wrote:

Hi everyone!
Example for Fade:
_F,2,75463,77106,1,0
The "F" letter stays for Fade.
The "2" number is the type of Fade, there are 3 types : 0 = Homogeneous; 1 = Fast at the begin and slow at the end; 2 = Slow at the begin and fast at the end.

See You Soon with other Tutorials~!
How i get this Timeposition to set the start and ending of the event? oO
ziin
open the osb file in notepad

Scroll to the time you want

press ctrl+c (ie copy) in the design tab.

Replace the time in the osb file. Repeat as many times as needed for new times.

Save the osb file.

Press ctrl+shift+L to reload the map in osu.
Vistritium
Thank you, very helpful tutorial. Now my beatmap....pulsates :)
Hokichi
Thank you. Very helpful post, especially for people who are new to SB-ing like me :)
cmoa
This post made everything 99% easier and faster. Thank you!! :D
Drudeger
I know this is an old post, but I'm looking for an answer to this. So I've been trying this for a while, but I can't put the resized/cropped image in without it messing up the original background. I've looked at quite a few maps that use the pulsation effect, such as Blue Zenith, but after looking at them, closing out of the map, then coming back to look at them, the background gets messed up in those levels too. I don't know how to fix this and its really annoying. Could someone please help me?
Zephyrott
No need for copy paste. :P