forum

Making Sliders with Mouse Movement

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +5
Topic Starter
GladiOol
What if it was possible to actually shape sliders by mouse movement?
Move your mouse up and down and there's you go, your slider is shaping automaticly~
It's probably something which requires alot of coding (I think?) but I'm posting this anyway.
I'd look to know what people think about it~
maay
BRING BACK THE UGLY CATMULL SLIDERS
TKiller
Of course it'd be much more handy like that, but sounds like a lot of work to implement.

I thought about this a lot along with stream (not obligatory 1/4) shaping method like that: you draw/create a bezier line, select an amount of beats, snap divisor and beats get placed on a map following the line separated by equal amounts of it.
RandomJibberish
It'd be ridiculously hard to make decent sliders like that. Lrn2bezier
Jarby

RandomJibberish wrote:

I agree. They would all look like this:

Mismagius

Jarby wrote:

RandomJibberish wrote:

I agree. They would all look like this:

That's pretty good for me.
AdRon Zh3Ro
Most stupid feature request goes to...

Anyway, it would be the same thing as doing this:

And what for? Precision with mouse is impossible, it's alredy good the way it is.
Topic Starter
GladiOol

AdRon Zh3Ro wrote:

Most stupid feature request goes to...

Anyway, it would be the same thing as doing this:

[attachment=0:7fb2f]screenshot022.jpg[/attachment:7fb2f]

And what for? Precision with mouse is impossible, it's alredy good the way it is.
Seriously you sir are retarded xD
Like peppy would make it like every move you make as a sliderpoint, I mean what the fuck.
You sir been smoking some crack?

I really can't see the problem with something like this, it makes putting down a slider very easy, and afterward you can just adjust them by shaping the slider points. This way making things like slider art or longer sliders is way easier.
KRZY
This community is the worst I've ever seen in terms of accepting new concepts.

Start crying after you've actually tried it good sirs.

My support on this request (and with my last remaining vote too!)
Kitsunemimi
I think it's the nice idea, as long as peppy or MM agrees and has an idea of how to do this.
Mismagius
Oh well, forgot to post how great this idea is. You have my support.
James2250
I don't know how well this idea would actually work in practice (or how hard it would be to code)

But it sounds like a nice idea if done well~
(those "slider" pictures look alot better than some sliders I see looking through maps)
Krisom
It would help newbies make better sliders than the ones they make wihout basic bezier shaping. Other than that, I don't see it useful for more picky mappers. Also, lenght of the slider won't match lenght on timeline perfectly (unless custom sliderpseed is used...) I'm not sure if I support, I think I rather see devs using their free time on other stuff than this one (and this feature seems to require tons of free time and testing), though I don't see it as a crazy idea.

KRZY wrote:

That makes little sense to me. First, that's hardly crying. Second, if that was the case, no-one would be able to critizice wihout having the feature working first, wich would lead into devs working full time, having test builds everywhere, and rejecting not-so-usefull ideas after the devs alredy wasted some time on them.
Derekku
I'd say that it's more trouble than it's worth. Besides, if one will be adjusting their slider afterward anyway, then why not create it from scratch in the first place?
rust45
Maybe after the slider is made, osu! tries to even out the edges to look like a bezier curve using few sliderpoints.

However, I don't really support this anyway, just trying to throw an idea out if this does get put in (which seems unlikely.)
Jarby

KRZY wrote:

This community is the worst I've ever seen in terms of accepting new concepts.

My support on this request (and with my last remaining vote too!)

There is no magical algorithm to make these not look like shit. Also, we're just discussing the viability at this stage, which seems to be about over because I really don't see a way for this to be viable. Sure, if someone could implement this and make it simple to freehand perfect sliders, I'd be all for it, but we know that's not going to happen. I don't care how cool or interesting a new concept sounds on paper if it doesn't work in practice and I've yet to see any explanation on how this could produce smooth sliders.

To be precise, I find your attitude disgusting because you are judging people making solid arguments simply because they don't agree with you, apparently.

Krisom wrote:

It would help newbies make better sliders than the ones they make wihout basic bezier shaping.
Honestly, I see great results from those that look at RJ's guide and use it to improve. I don't see it as a reason to implement this in the long run.
Topic Starter
GladiOol
Think about making sliders like these:

Wouldn't it be nice to just 'draw' them and then to be able to adjust a few slider points to create the perfect slider?
It makes the work on such sliders so much easier.
For me it takes like 5 minutes to get me to the stage which I draw in a split second.
RandomJibberish
All of those are meant to be symmetrical but aren't, and are perfectly possible to make with beziers much more nicely.

I'd rather people put in the effort to make their sliders as good as possible rather than using a method like this. It's really not that difficult and is explained in my tutorial, so there isn't a reason not to apart from laziness.
Topic Starter
GladiOol
k then it's laziness. whatever
narakucrimson

Jarby wrote:

There is no magical algorithm to make these not look like shit. Also, we're just discussing the viability at this stage, which seems to be about over because I really don't see a way for this to be viable. Sure, if someone could implement this and make it simple to freehand perfect sliders, I'd be all for it, but we know that's not going to happen. I don't care how cool or interesting a new concept sounds on paper if it doesn't work in practice and I've yet to see any explanation on how this could produce smooth sliders.
Err... I'm no pro programmer but I know this: Flash (the editor, not the player) has a tool to automatically smoothen shapes drawn by hand. Of course it's not perfect, but it shows AT LEAST someone could desing such a thing. Of course the code would be kind of a pain in the ass, but it could be handy sometimes.

But, on the other hand, after having read RJ's tutorial, I can say that it isn't too hard to make any kind of slider shapes, it just takes some practice. And I do them fast. Maybe faster than it would be to adjust the points crated by a possible algorithm, because of course, we can't draw a perfect curve nor the algorithm can be perfect.

So... I think I don't want to support this, but at least keep in mind - Jarby - that there actually exist algorithms to smoothen hand-drawn curves, and they are not magical at all.

No offenses.
KRZY

Jarby wrote:

To be precise, I find your attitude disgusting because you are judging people making solid arguments simply because they don't agree with you, apparently.
Please specify where in my post I have done this.

RandomJibberish wrote:

All of those are meant to be symmetrical but aren't, and are perfectly possible to make with beziers much more nicely.

I'd rather people put in the effort to make their sliders as good as possible rather than using a method like this. It's really not that difficult and is explained in my tutorial, so there isn't a reason not to apart from laziness.
Perhaps, but I reckon there are much more people out there who'd feel more comfortable outlining sliders first using the method suggested rather than master the use of Bezier sliders. The suggestion has a long way to go if it is to be actually implemented with practicality, but I think the idea itself is quite useful.

Of course, since it is your personal view on the matter, I can't do much more than to try to persuade :<
AdRon Zh3Ro

GladiOol wrote:

Like peppy would make it like every move you make as a sliderpoint, I mean what the fuck.
"Line is a set of several points." Well, pretty obvious eh? Now, a simple line slider is just two sliderpoints, yes, but there are several hidden sliderpoints that are not shown, making it easier to move and handle.

Although, the effect created with 4 sliderpoints, for exemple, a simple bezier slider, is the result of several hidden sliderpoints, just as a line.

By making a slider with a mouse, you would simply show all those hidden sliderpoints, and then, shape it.

Further more, by "shapping it automatically", you would need an algorithm that would analyse both sliderpoints, shape and BPM, slider speed, blablabla. And that's, my good sir, the obvious reason why it is almost impossible to make. It would need, as alredy said, a shitload of hours to create, test, and then, implement as a feature, IF sucessefully created.

That's why i just say... no.
Krisom
I just remembered one time when I was trying to sliderart an apple and was unable to due to bezier making it impossible because all the sliderpoints ended up outside of the screen.

Support for sliderart justice.
Lilac

Krisom wrote:

I just remembered one time when I was trying to sliderart an apple and was unable to due to bezier making it impossible because all the sliderpoints ended up outside of the screen.
Or you can just be like me and what I did in Rock 'n' Roll.

Make a smaller version and scale it bigger. Stuff symmetry.
Zetta
I'd support this with all the votes I have but I spent them all on the Hold Note topic.

This is a fantastic idea to be honest. It would allow people to get the shapes they want for sliders very easily.
Verdisphena
Let's se...

i'm supporting this
show more