forum

[duplicate] Variation of SD - S rank mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Kubogi
The name says it all - "S rank mod". A mod to get S rank on a map. In my opinion, this will be a good mod for players who look ahead to FC maps with good accuracy (like me), so that's why I want this mod added to osu.

The name for this mod can be SM (since SR will be mistaken as Star Rating), or maybe RS (rank S), which will not be mistaken for Star Rating. The icon for this mod will simply be a letter S, there's no need to make it complicated.

How this mod will work: With this mod enabled, for every objects, the game will automatically check for misses, accuracy, basically the requirements for S rank (the requirements of S rank are different among the 4 mods). If the requirements are not met, then the game automatically makes the map failed (like SD), or restart the map (like PF).

Problems with this mod (that I know):
1. You can fail at the first notes if you don't SS it.
This is one of the biggest problems when it comes to making this mod. Since S rank depends on accuracy, and if you don't SS the first note, the accuracy can be either 33.33%, 50.00% (in taiko), or 66.66% (in mania). And yes, if the game checks for every note, then you are likely to fail at the first notes. This will also add to the retry spamming problem, making the play count unrealistic.

2. Sliderbreaks.
Since sliderbreaks can get you a 100/50 (which is not a miss), you can still get S rank, even with multiple sliderbreaks. So it's possible to get S rank, but not FC-ing the map. For a lot of people, their main goal of this mod will be FC-ing the map with high accuracy, but if this mod ignores sliderbreaks, this will not be a good idea for them.

3. It can cause lags.
Since the game will have to check every object, it can cause a lot of lag in low-end computers, or in streams, since it has to calculate everything for every object, it's like increasing the time complexity of the algorithm for no reason, since the program have to do extra work.

Possible solutions (that I know):
For problem #1: You can check it after several objects.
It will be at least 11 objects (for osu!std), since that's the least objects possible to get S with 1x100. This will make the gameplay a bit better, but there will be some further problems, as well. The first problem is that there are short maps that have less than 11 objects, then technically you can 100 all of them and still pass the map (of course, if the HP drain is low enough). This can be solved by you can only pass these maps if you SS them (since it's impossible to get S on a map that has less than 11 objects)

For problem #2: I can think of 2 different solutions for this problem:
1. Make the mod only passable if you FC the map/ignore sliderbreaks: This can be a good solution if you want to keep it simple. But one big downside of this is people will have different perspectives to get S ranks, so for example, if you make the mod ignore sliderbreaks, people that want to FC it at the same time will dislike this mod, and there will be a lot of hate on this mod.

2. Put the mod in a different category (not in the same box as SD/PF): This choice has a very big advantage is that both types of people can use this mod in the way they want. One downside of this is that it can make the mod menu more complicated. Since we already have 5 boxes in the "Difficulty increase" section, adding 1 more will probably overwhelm the section, and yes, it can cause a lot of trouble.

I haven't thought of the solutions to these 2 problems above yet, so I'm looking forward to having it in the discussion!

For problem #3: Reduce the number of times you check for S rank.
This can be reduced in 2 different ways: per combo and several objects.
Advantages of checking per combo: It can look more professional (I don't know why, it's just that...?).
Disadvantages of checking per combo: maps that have only very long combos or just have 1 combo from start to end makes the mod probably useless.

Advantages of checking per several notes: More consistent and doesn't cause problems like in the choice of checking per combo
Disadvantages of checking per combo: Looks more unprofessional and unsatisfying (I don't know why too..?)

In my opinion, my choice would be checking per combo, the game checks if the length of the combos is larger than an amount, then it would divide the checking process in the combo by some number. In that way, it will look better, and more consistent and doesn't cause a lot of problems.

In short, I think this mod is kind of needed in my personal experience, and probably a lot of players like me too. I'm hoping for the problems above to be resolved and possibly, have this mod added on osu. Thanks to everyone in advance, I'm looking forward to it!
Death
This is essentially just this request but slightly more restrictive.
Topic Starter
Kubogi
I see... Sorry for that, because his/her word choices was different than my google keywords, so I didn't know that there was a post about this...