forum

Hub's Mapping Contest (Results)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hokichi

Hi, and welcome to Hub's Mapping Contest. In this contest, you will find something different than others contest held before.
This is my first time ever holding a contest, so I don't expect it to be big. Sorry if you expected too much.
----------------------------

This is a mapping contest for osu! standard only. In this contest, you will work in a team of two members and will be provided with 2 different songs to map. Each mapper will map one song. The total score of the team will be the sum of each member's score. You might find the concept of this contest a little strange, compared to previous competitions. But I think we should try something new.
Once the results are final, they will be announced on the forum later.

More rules and guidelines below

Any question regarding the contest please leave it below or send PMs to the organizers

For Judging Criteria and Scoreboard, click here
For more informations, please contact the organizers.

1. You and your partner must not map the same song. That means no collab either.
  2. You must not give your entry to anyone else but me.
  3. Leaking your entry can result in a ban for both of the team members.
  4. Any submission after the deadline will be ignored.
  5. The Discord account you use to join the server must be the same as the one you provided us with the form.

1. If you wish to help us out, please osu! PM me, using "Helper Sign-up" as PM's subject. You are NOT ALLOWED to be Contestant afterwards.
    Other rules will be listed in the discord server.

The prizes are:
  1. The winning team will be awarded 1-month supporter tag for each member.
Why we can't award you a profile badge

1. Feb 8 - Feb 19: Sign-ups
  2. Feb 20 - Mar 20: Contest
  3. Mar 21 - Apr 21: Judging
  4. Apr 22: Results

1. Use this form for signing up.
  2. Only one of you need to do the signing up for both of your team members, so please don't do it twice, thanks.
  3. You and your partner must both be registered on Discord and is a member of our server! (Invite link will be sent after we've received your application)

Judges
  1. Shiratoi
  2. _DT3
  3. DTM9 Nowa
  4. [-Chocola-]
  5. -Just Monika

Helpers
  1. [ L u k a s ]
  2. ShiiTsuin
  3. Pachiru

Special Thanks

1. Cassu2 and DTM9 Nowa for sponsoring the contest
  2. Zexous and Lilyanna for helping me!

• [list:1337][list:1337][list:1337][list:1337][list:1337][list:1337][list:1337]
  1. Organized by Hokichi, with the help from Pachiru, [ L u k a s ], DTM9 Nowa and other staffs
RESULT
Seolv
Firstfirstfirstfirst
Kawashiro
owo
Akitoshi
o
Pachiru
owo
Asaiga
good luck
Cubby
xd
LowAccuracySS
oooh, seems cool.
lcfc
Wheres the baje
Topic Starter
Hokichi

LowComboFC wrote:

Wheres the baje
Baje? Oh, soonTM
Zexous
Hi, MMC creator here. I noticed that half your judges are also organizers. This is really something that shouldn't happen, for a variety of reasons I'm sure you can figure out. I recommend getting that sorted out ASAP, it's a very bad idea both for the contest's integrity and its reputation if people who know everything about the entries are the ones deciding their scoring.

Good luck with the contest otherwise
_DT3

Zexous wrote:

Hi, MMC creator here. I noticed that half your judges are also organizers. This is really something that shouldn't happen, for a variety of reasons I'm sure you can figure out. I recommend getting that sorted out ASAP, it's a very bad idea both for the contest's integrity and its reputation if people who know everything about the entries are the ones deciding their scoring.

Good luck with the contest otherwise
Spoke with Zexous about this, it was basically a misunderstanding about what the organizers did in this contest
Will tell Hoki about this asap!!
C00L
If that’s true I’m standing here with Zexous. Doing something like that can immediately be thought as possible result rigging. Even if it may not happen the public (i.e. contestants) can always use that against you for whatever reason. Hence why it’s a bad idea

lolers nice timing hhe
Irreversible
Interesting, but how can you assure "You and your partner must not map the same song. That means no collab either."? I mean, obviously you can't control everything.. for example you can't ensure that people won't share their maps beforehand. However, why I'm pointing it out is that this is the concept of this contest... so it kinda is crucial
Topic Starter
Hokichi

Irreversible wrote:

Interesting, but how can you assure "You and your partner must not map the same song. That means no collab either."? I mean, obviously you can't control everything.. for example you can't ensure that people won't share their maps beforehand. However, why I'm pointing it out is that this is the concept of this contest... so it kinda is crucial
We'll try our best at preventing this. But as far as I know, there are no methods to completely stop this. They'll just have to be honest.
We've already implemented something to prevent this, but let's see how well can it do its job. I'll consider changing some of the rules later if necessary.

Thanks a lot for the feedback
Maxylan

Hokichi wrote:

We've already implemented something to prevent this, but let's see how well can it do its job. I'll consider changing some of the rules later if necessary.
Re-writing the rules to allow team members to help each other out would be less restrictive and even if it's not possible to stop collabs from happening when you allow helping, it's still a unique concept to discourage collabs ^

But if you are really loyal to the concept, you could go the opposite route and enforce it harder, for example, beatmap surveilance during irregular intervals where you check up on a teams map to ensure there are no "bookmarks" separating sections of the song in a way that would make it obvious it's a collab, and/or judging the maps side-by-side to try and spot simularities in mapping styles, and subtracting points for sections/parts that look simular enough to the point where you can suspect it was done by the same person.

Sky is the limit really =p Love the concept regardless
Kawashiro
Why not just let them help each other??

It'll be better for "Team" tournament imo
Topic Starter
Hokichi

Maxylan wrote:

Hokichi wrote:

Re-writing the rules to allow team members to help each other out would be less restrictive and even if it's not possible to stop collabs from happening when you allow helping, it's still a unique concept to discourage collabs ^

But if you are really loyal to the concept, you could go the opposite route and enforce it harder, for example, beatmap surveilance during irregular intervals where you check up on a teams map to ensure there are no "bookmarks" separating sections of the song in a way that would make it obvious it's a collab, and/or judging the maps side-by-side to try and spot simularities in mapping styles, and subtracting points for sections/parts that look simular enough to the point where you can suspect it was done by the same person.

Sky is the limit really =p Love the concept regardless
Here are some things I noticed and would like to point out
1. You can't 100% assure that the team members don't cheat. So helping each other out is possible. Since we don't have enough staff in enough timezones, we can't do 24/7 surveillance on them.
2. Judging side-by-side is a great idea, although it will take probably more time to do so. I'll take this suggestion and will try to implement it.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate those.
Deppyforce
the second one doesn't work. there are mappers with multiple styles like me, why would you think mappers will use single mapping style for both songs, or let alone the different parts in the same song? It could look accidentally similar and we would get dq for doing nothing wrong. Also, in my case frontier and I live in the same country, he can just come to my house and we could map together anyways and you won't even know about it LOL
(though we won't actually do that, we don't cheat)

it means i think this concept doesnt really work, but I will play along anyways
Asaiga
There are concerns I do have as well. I thought of not letting them out and observe as an outsider but since as the state of the contest is now, contestants might feel discontent later with the organizers.

I'm okay with new ideas but this one particular, it sounds sketchy and not actually complete like the others have said. You have no control over who does whatsoever, if you are into ''team'' concept and helping each other is forbidden then it's basically contradicted to what you originally want. Would people in a team ask for help from each other? Very likely, because they want to win, right? What's the point of joining a contest without having a slight chance of winning? Imagine you make people form a team of two that know each other well. You give them two different tasks for each and make them do it separately without talking to each other. If they both do their works well, they will be promoted. This works irl with proper monitoring system. Contestants can actually place trust in each other as they form a team. But on the internet, even the ''honored'' BN tests were rigged, you know?

Hokichi wrote:

2. Judging side-by-side is a great idea, although it will take probably more time to do so. I'll take this suggestion and will try to implement it.
I mean no offense to the judges but, how confident are you in recognizing styles from different people? Aside from the iconic ones, obviously. I'm sure we are all aware of copy paste mapping style in these recent years. People can just shake your doubts off by saying ''I learnt this new style from a different map and I thought it's cool to put it in here.'' Cheating or not, teaming up and not helping each other are oppositional as a core concept. There is no ideal solution from me for your original plan. Maybe talking with other mappers, those who have signed up would help, I suggest. Otherwise just stick to the traditional rules.

More things I'm triggered about. Why are there 5 judges? And what makes [-Chocola-], a restricted user qualified to be one? The rest of the judges, I'm not belittling you but from my perspective on this community, it's kind of an username based one (forgot who said this). You are all amazing people and skillful mappers but how well-known are you do you think you are in this community? It has a psychological effects on the contestants. They subconsciously know this contest isn't that grand nor highly competent. That should be included in the introduction box, telling people that this contest isn't gonna be anything big. But they are intelligent enough to recognize. I mean if you look at your prize section, isn't that banner 10 times bigger than the prize itself? The contest isn't organized professionally so I doubt whoever in charge of the community right now would grant a badge for the winner of this.

Hokichi wrote:

Hi, and welcome to Hub's Mapping Contest. In this contest, you will find something different than others contest held before.
In this contest, you won't be alone. You will work in a team of two people.
Wait, what? So this is like MMC #3.5. If that's what you're thinking, sorry, it's not. Are you curious? Interested to find out more? Keep reading.
Don't do marketing.

sao ko hoir cacs banj trong nhoms truocws rooif hanwr lafm? tuij nc ngoaif nos deex tanhs nois cais nos lamf lieefn taij tuij nos ham vui voiws cuoois cungf nos co phair laf nguoiwf chiuj trachs nhieemj daau. chat kieeur nayf ddeer tuij nos ko hieeur, ddungwf nois tuij nos bieets nghen xoxo
Topic Starter
Hokichi
So we can't award you with a profile badge because of the criteria.
Basically, the contest needs to successfully run once before asking for this.
Really sorry.
Topic Starter
Hokichi

Asaiga wrote:

There are concerns I do have as well. I thought of not letting them out and observe as an outsider but since as the state of the contest is now, contestants might feel discontent later with the organizers.

I'm okay with new ideas but this one particular, it sounds sketchy and not actually complete like the others have said. You have no control over who does whatsoever, if you are into ''team'' concept and helping each other is forbidden then it's basically contradicted to what you originally want. Would people in a team ask for help from each other? Very likely, because they want to win, right? What's the point of joining a contest without having a slight chance of winning? Imagine you make people form a team of two that know each other well. You give them two different tasks for each and make them do it separately without talking to each other. If they both do their works well, they will be promoted. This works irl with proper monitoring system. Contestants can actually place trust in each other as they form a team. But on the internet, even the ''honored'' BN tests were rigged, you know?

Hokichi wrote:

I mean no offense to the judges but, how confident are you in recognizing styles from different people? Aside from the iconic ones, obviously. I'm sure we are all aware of copy paste mapping style in these recent years. People can just shake your doubts off by saying ''I learnt this new style from a different map and I thought it's cool to put it in here.'' Cheating or not, teaming up and not helping each other are oppositional as a core concept. There is no ideal solution from me for your original plan. Maybe talking with other mappers, those who have signed up would help, I suggest. Otherwise just stick to the traditional rules.

More things I'm triggered about. Why are there 5 judges? And what makes [-Chocola-], a restricted user qualified to be one? The rest of the judges, I'm not belittling you but from my perspective on this community, it's kind of an username based one (forgot who said this). You are all amazing people and skillful mappers but how well-known are you do you think you are in this community? It has a psychological effects on the contestants. They subconsciously know this contest isn't that grand nor highly competent. That should be included in the introduction box, telling people that this contest isn't gonna be anything big. But they are intelligent enough to recognize. I mean if you look at your prize section, isn't that banner 10 times bigger than the prize itself? The contest isn't organized professionally so I doubt whoever in charge of the community right now would grant a badge for the winner of this.

Hokichi wrote:

In this contest, you won't be alone. You will work in a team of two people.
Wait, what? So this is like MMC #3.5. If that's what you're thinking, sorry, it's not. Are you curious? Interested to find out more? Keep reading.
Don't do marketing.

sao ko hoir cacs banj trong nhoms truocws rooif hanwr lafm? tuij nc ngoaif nos deex tanhs nois cais nos lamf lieefn taij tuij nos ham vui voiws cuoois cungf nos co phair laf nguoiwf chiuj trachs nhieemj daau. chat kieeur nayf ddeer tuij nos ko hieeur, ddungwf nois tuij nos bieets nghen xoxo
Thanks a lot for the feedbacks.

Helping are allowed now. I realized we can't do 24/7 surveillance on the contestants. So, as long as the entries aren't leaked outside, everything should be fine.
Also, badge won't be awarded
And sure, I won't do marketing

cos hoir ys moij nguoiwf rooif moiws lamf as chows. cos hoi laf muoons dwa cais nayf public khoong hay laf ddeer trong server thooi, tuij nos cungx baor public.