FarmVille: Resurrection
Mashley
Dota 2 confirmed, as everyone knew it would be
Gabi
I'd like to see how they are going to compete with LoL and HoN

So far i've heard it has around 100 heroes and is a direct DoTA allstars port

Morphling ^^
Two_old
If they are using the name dota, I take it that they won that name battle.
Topic Starter
Loginer
Lots of drama going on in the game industry right now. Here's an interesting blog post about IceFrog's supposed personality and secret past.

Two wrote:

If they are using the name dota, I take it that they won that name battle.
DOTA 2 is the actual name, not an abbreviation.
Ephemeral
I still will probably just play LoL instead.
5TEV3N
so its a competition between s2 , riot and Valve
but to be honest HoN is slowly loseing there population. its even got there own private server O.O
so basically its Riot vs Valve :P
mekadon_old

that blog wrote:

blablabla
what.
awp
I have never played any of these games can someone provide a brief description of what to expect because I like Valve
WyndII
I hope it's free >.<
5TEV3N

WyndII wrote:

I hope it's free >.<
it won't be free....
if its from valve, then its retail.
mekadon_old
Shit, now I had to pay for dota? sigh
Glass
LoL ftw.

but if this game turns out to be free(highly doubt it) I'm giving this a try as well.
Mashley
Why would it be free? Valve is a business, you know.
mekadon_old
I just hope it's not totally overcharged since the old one is free anyway.
Lybydose
The old one is $30 or whatever because you have to buy Warcraft III
Glass

Lybydose wrote:

Not if you torrent it! :idea:
mekadon_old
The dota map is free, not Warcraft III

Glass wrote:

Lybydose wrote:

lol
sonnawabit

Glass wrote:

Lybydose wrote:

well then dota 2 is free as well if you torrent it lols
-Xero-
You can't "torrent" Valve Games, because they are running via Steam.
WhoAteFred
Pretty sure there are ways around Steam. As they say, if it's on the internet, there is usually a way to pirate it.

As for DOTA2:I'm not much of a DOTA fan I guess. Hopefully Valve does well with it though, and somehow gets me hooked.
maay

WhoAteFred wrote:

Pretty sure there are ways around Steam.
I guess there aren't, as it will be running on its own server, so you will need a serial key. Just like in HoN...

If it's a single payment then I'll consider buying, else I'll just stick with DotA :/
Ph0X

awp wrote:

I have never played any of these games can someone provide a brief description of what to expect because I like Valve
Way to ignore this man's question.

Before I even describe DotA, I just want to point out that this might not really a Valve game like you know them. It might end up being some side project like AlienSwarm, but it might also become an integral part of Valve like Portal.

They haven't really said that much, but if it actually is a remake of DotA, and it does become an integral part of Valve, then for the first time, valve will have a non-fps game. I just checked their wiki page and apparently Dota 2 is just another side project.

So yea, the camera view is just like any other RTS game. There are two teams of usually 5 players each IIRC.
Each person chooses a hero. Each team is in an opposite corner of the map and you pretty much have to take over the opponents base. There are AI mobs spawning and as you kill them, you gain XP and gold. With those, you unlock new powers and buy new items.

Note that there are over a hundred heroes, with a different skill set each, then hundreds of items to modify them even more.
This is pretty much the main reason I never got into DotA. To be really good at it, you need to pretty much know all the heroes and items by heart.

The best analogy I can give is, I don't know if you've played WC3 or any RTS, but imagine playing a 5v5 RTS game, but instead of building bases, you just control a single guy that you level up and upgrade.

Now, if instead of doing an exact fucking ripoff (aka sequel) of a game like blizzard does, they actually went and modified it by making it first person, they could've come out with something new and original, but ofcourse all the DotA fanboys would've been butthurt.

WhoAteFred wrote:

Pretty sure there are ways around Steam. As they say, if it's on the internet, there is usually a way to pirate it.
For any singleplayer game, you'd be right, but for multi-player games, there never are any solutions, unless they are completely unprotected (like Borderlands for example). Sometimes, they're able to redirect it to their own custom servers, but there never is a way that allows you to play on official protected servers.

Since DotA is mainly a multiplayer game (playing it with bots is just like playing counter-strike with bots, it's retarded), the only thing you could probably do is play it with your friends over lan on a cracked version.
mekadon_old

Ph0X wrote:

Since DotA is mainly a multiplayer game (playing it with bots is just like playing counter-strike with bots, it's retarded), the only thing you could probably do is play it with your friends over lan on a cracked version.
DotA AI is still shit. Shit shit shit. I think you'd know why.
I agree with Ph0X, but unless you want to manipulate LAN and play online (let Garena for example) it's possible using a cracked version. But I fairly doubt DOTA2 will enter their systems though.
Neo@lex
Actually, the fact that it's a Source game on Steam pretty much confirms that there will be a multiplayer crack not long after release.
Valve tend to be fairly open about the inner-workings of their games. Any Steam game can be made nonsteam by simply extracting some files. If it uses the current Source server system it'll be supported by Setti's alternative masterserver, which only requires the user to overwrite a text file. If it doesn't, there's plenty of other ways, such as undead patch and lan exploits.
Zekira

Ph0X wrote:

but ofcourse all the DotA fanboys would've been butthurt.
Sadly a really large majority of the DotA players are DotArds (over-elitists, basically), which is the main reason I dissociated myself with it.
Xanek
http://dota2.com/tournaments/international/

sign in via steam and opt-in for the beta which is coming around fall i think

Also live matches of DoTA 2 tomorrow

Wednesday, August 17th
All times are CET (GMT +2)

Zekira
I was reading some details and... wtf 1 million USD prize money for the winner of the tourney...?
TKiller

Zekira wrote:

I was reading some details and... wtf 1 million USD prize money for the winner of the tourney...?
yeah and they're getting lags in the middle of the teamfight

doesn't compute right with these stakes, eh?
Zekira
Definitely, hahahah
-Mantis-
The stream is laggy shit.
I'm sitting here for like 20 minutes and nothing happens.
Seriously, if you make a tournament with 1,000.000 $ to win, why don't you make the stream more stable?
Xanek

-Mantis- wrote:

The stream is laggy shit.
I'm sitting here for like 20 minutes and nothing happens.
Seriously, if you make a tournament with 1,000.000 $ to win, why don't you make the stream more stable?
Obviously don't want people to see the gameplay in its glory

also 1 million USD is probably split with the 5 players which $200,000 is still alot :|..

*edit*
and i hopped on to see if i could watch it and i caught one of them picking drow ranger and the commentator said something like " IF you have splooshed already you will now" or something like that
Fumi-chan
Every time I remember the 1mil prize I keep wondering how bad I'd feel if I messed up and made my team lose this much money.
ElxBeta
You can watch the HD stream with no lag in own3d.tv tho, I saw the MYM vs M5 match and M5 totally owned MYM all the match.
-Mantis-

ElxBeta wrote:

You can watch the HD stream with no lag in own3d.tv tho, I saw the MYM vs M5 match and M5 totally owned MYM all the match.
I'm too busy playing LoL now because i ragequitted the stream. FU Valve.
yeahyeahyeahhh

ElxBeta wrote:

That game was so rape man holy shit. Them Crystal Maiden KS were TOO GOOD. CM es strong carry.

Anyway, SO EXCITED for this game, after suffering a year is shit fuck POS fuck game of noob shit League of Legends. Gotta love all the haters who are dogging on a game thats not even in open beta and is obviously going to have bugs and lag problems. People have been DYING to just SEE Dota2. HoN and LoL in closed beta were SO broken. LoL fucking break for 6+ hours on a fucking normal patch TODAY. I can't see this game being anything less than successful when shit gets more stable and open beta comes out. I think most the people who are talking down the game will end up playing in the end. I just hope those shit LoL players stay the fuck over there.
-Mantis-

yeahyeahyeahhh wrote:

ElxBeta wrote:

That game was so rape man holy shit. Them Crystal Maiden KS were TOO GOOD. CM es strong carry.

Anyway, SO EXCITED for this game, after suffering a year is shit fuck POS fuck game of noob shit League of Legends. Gotta love all the haters who are dogging on a game thats not even in open beta and is obviously going to have bugs and lag problems. People have been DYING to just SEE Dota2. HoN and LoL in closed beta were SO broken. LoL fucking break for 6+ hours on a fucking normal patch TODAY. I can't see this game being anything less than successful when shit gets more stable and open beta comes out. I think most the people who are talking down the game will end up playing in the end. I just hope those shit LoL players stay the fuck over there.

yeahyeahyeahhh
What am I mad about exactly? Need .jpg for He fucking excited.
Randy96
ah, didn't realize it had its own thread

omg I can't wait for public release, so excited
show more