forum

How come I can do a 6.24* map well but not 5* maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
- Medaka -
I don't understand how I can do good on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxUsL-cSTrg

But not do good on 5* maps. Someone please help me understand this.
dung eater
You should know what is hard for you if you pay any attention when you play. Forget the star ratings.
Topic Starter
- Medaka -

jaaakb wrote:

You should know what is hard for you if you pay any attention when you play. Forget the star ratings.
But I don't. I read each note individually, it's just that I keep missing even though I am looking at the note.
PinkNightmares
A map doesn't represent the whole star range. You are not even close to doing 6* consistently.
Topic Starter
- Medaka -

B1oody wrote:

A map doesn't represent the whole star range. You are not even close to doing 6* consistently.
I can do them better than 5* maps, which isn't right. I use to bash 6 - 7* maps all the time. Not even worrying about the 4* and below. I've stopped that about 5 months ago. Maybe that's why? I honestly don't know.
PinkNightmares

- Medaka - wrote:

I can do them better than 5* maps, which isn't right.
No you can't. Play more.
Zain Sugieres
Look at your top scores. Think again.
7ambda
That's like saying that just because you passed Airman, doesn't mean you're able to actually do 7*. You probably just passed a 6* jump map or one with low hp, which gave you a false sense of your actual skill.
kurodahatsuharu
At this rank 92% acc isn't consider as playing, play 4.7* star until you FC it
Starrodkirby86
The fickly part about star ratings is that many players, especially newer ones, often get a misimpression that the overall star rating means everything. However, especially when one plays more and more maps, while the star rating is a good base indicator for difficulty and things like that, the rating itself doesn't actually tell all. For instance, maps often get overinflated star ratings due to a couple of jumps at the end that ramp up its rating and difficulty.

For instance, Monstrata's controversial map Quaver is rated at a staggering 7.42*, but analyzing the map through a service like Oppai Chunks can show that most of the map is actually very easily a 5* map.

That kind of trend can often lead to a false impression of things like, "I CAN PASS AN 7*!", where in actuality the better challenge is to then consistently pass multiple 7*s.

In your case, perhaps the jumps and the map overall just have a good flow and you can meshed well with it. Maybe there's a portion in that song where the difficulty just ramped up due to a few jumps, but the rest of the song is pretty tame. Now Loading!!!! [Extra] by Doormat is a pretty good candidate for that.

So I guess what I'm saying is that, it's more about the actual map's content itself, and the overall things that paint that picture. Definitely play more and get a variety of maps under your belt.
Reyvateil

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

The fickly part about star ratings is that many players, especially newer ones, often get a misimpression that the overall star rating means everything. However, especially when one plays more and more maps, while the star rating is a good base indicator for difficulty and things like that, the rating itself doesn't actually tell all. For instance, maps often get overinflated star ratings due to a couple of jumps at the end that ramp up its rating and difficulty.

For instance, Monstrata's controversial map Quaver is rated at a staggering 7.42*, but analyzing the map through a service like Oppai Chunks can show that most of the map is actually very easily a 5* map.

That kind of trend can often lead to a false impression of things like, "I CAN PASS AN 7*!", where in actuality the better challenge is to then consistently pass multiple 7*s.

In your case, perhaps the jumps and the map overall just have a good flow and you can meshed well with it. Maybe there's a portion in that song where the difficulty just ramped up due to a few jumps, but the rest of the song is pretty tame. Now Loading!!!! [Extra] by Doormat is a pretty good candidate for that.

So I guess what I'm saying is that, it's more about the actual map's content itself, and the overall things that paint that picture. Definitely play more and get a variety of maps under your belt.
That's not the problem, if you can beat a single 7* section, in theory you can potentially beat other 7* parts so what those people say might be true.

The main issue is that these maps have different HP drain, OD, BPM, patterns complexity. While some 7* maps like Airman and Highscore can be very simples to pass because of the very forgiving HP drain, others can be truly challenging because of map complexity and speed, such as Furioso Melodia, or just hard to pass because misses are punishing (high HP drain + high OD) like Crack Traxxxx. But this doesn't change the fact that these are 7* maps and contain parts that are rated as such.

Star Rating is just a label to the difficulty to FC a map based on how straining its aim and speed requirements are.

Other factors OD, HP and pattern complexity doesn't enter into this equation, OD only affects pp when it's calculated later as accuracy is a "bonus" based on how small the timing window is and the length of the map are. You can open the editor and change the OD of a map and see that the Star Rating doesn't change to verify this.

In OP's case, he might've done a map that falls under that relatively easy category to pass, even when compared to other 5* maps. The discussion about the pp system and how it judge spikes is another different matter.
N0thingSpecial
Cause you're not good enough, not even 5* I doubt you can even do good on some 4*
DeathHydra
Anyone early enough to see what map it is? Because the video is private
Frikandel
If you play maps well above your skill you usually have no nerves. That alone makes you play better.

Today I passed an 8.5* map, my highest pass. I had 88% acc. My aim felt godlike.

Then I go back to easy 6* pp maps, and nope. shitmis for days.

It could also be because the patterns in that certain map you played suit you.
Risa
Star rating is largely only about the spacing. It's nowhere near accurrate in measuring a map's real difficulty

A 6.24* map
A 5.22* map

Now plz don't tell me u find the 6.24* map harder than the 5.22* one
chainpullz
Sayorie
Pass airman and then feel good about yourself.
Do that, OP. :)