forum

Are video games a waste of time?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Voli
Who cares whether it's a waste of time or not?
School is a waste of time because many of the things learned there could be obtained in a faster manner at home, on your own. The internet contains more than enough information to educate yourself with.

As mentioned before, by this logic, ultimately everything is a waste of time.
Just enjoy yourself and balance things out for your own sake.
deletemyaccount

Voli wrote:

Who cares whether it's a waste of time or not?
School is a waste of time because many of the things learned there could be obtained in a faster manner at home, on your own. The internet contains more than enough information to educate yourself with.

As mentioned before, by this logic, ultimately everything is a waste of time.
Just enjoy yourself and balance things out for your own sake.
Can't stress this enough. Nothing and everything can become a waste of time. You need to recognise the opportunity cost of all decisions in your life.

Can I spend the time I currently use playing games to do more productive things? Do I get satisfaction and enjoyment in my life by playing games? It really is up to you how you spend your time; this question ultimately having no definite answer as the definition of a 'waste of time' is absolutely subjective.

Since all people have their own unique perspectives and hobbies, what each person defines as being a waste of time (in this case, gaming) will vary.

tl;dr if you enjoy video games then they aren't a waste of time, don't let other people tell you otherwise. Just don't play them too much to the point that it impacts your life; balance is key.
Topic Starter
Sylveon
thank you everyone. I continue to read all your comments :)
Eiuh

Pituophis wrote:

In the end, everything is a waste of time. Waste it how you want.
Remyria
What I gained from videogames: better reflexes, better handling of stress, better body coordination and how to speak english, within others :D (Oh and games like osu/beatmania are a great way to impress people ;p) ...I lost a bit of eyesight, but not significantly... I would wear glass even not knowing what are videogames
Roxy Lalonde
i can't respond to this from a gamer's point of view

if I plan on making a living out of making games

there's really not a way i can say this in the gamer's perspective

it's what i want to do for a living

and I'll do it, as a developer

that's all there is to it for me
indubitablement
Do I think playing video game is a waste of time? Yeah.
But, here's the thing. We're all gonna die and how you decide wasting that time is up to you. No one will give a fuck. At least eventually no one will. You're not that special, once you're dead, the few people that knew you will either forget about you or die, so whatever.

inb4 "But I wanna make the world a better place and people will remember me."
Even if you were to be the first person to never be forgotten by humanity. We're still just a primitive life form on a tiny rock in a tiny corner of space. Plus, once you're dead, you won't be able to care less.

Re-reading this, I seem very negative, but what I wanted to say is just that you have a limited amount of time and that you should try enjoying it. Whatever that mean to you.

Have a nice day.

-Indu
Kei

Philantropist wrote:

if you enjoy video games then they aren't a waste of time, don't let other people tell you otherwise. Just don't play them too much to the point that it impacts your life; balance is key.
This. I think games are good as long as they don't affect you to the point that you let them consume all your time.
My AngeI Amogus
kapii
there's a magical thing called "NOPE"
Daichi Shinku
Yes

and right now I'm wasting my life at it...
theowest
I often feel that way. But I just don't find myself doing anything more productive most of the time.

Ended up spending 25 hours to create this giant-ass rubik's cube in Fallout 4:
Waste? Maybe, but at least I got a lot of publicity from it. :o
Railey2
now solve it
balldoowell
Playing osu! makes me better at osu!

Weight lifting makes me better at weight lifting AND anything else that requires strength.

So yeah games are pretty useless
theowest

Railey2 wrote:

now solve it
Karuta-_old_1
people already spent ages discussing about pointless stuff, so why is game a waste of time again
Railey2

theowest wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

now solve it
10/10
chaee
Yes, now keep wasting your time doing what you love.
leepdesu
I leik kliking sircurls
Endie-

-LeeP- wrote:

I leik kliking sircurls
Witch Mercy
technically anything can be a waste of time if you don't enjoy it imo
Julia_1439
I agree with you on the "all hobbies are a waste of time" thing. We all need an escape somehow, and what better way to do it than doing what you love?
Rilene

Sliceofpie wrote:

I agree with you on the "all hobbies are a waste of time" thing. We all need an escape somehow, and what better way to do it than doing what you love?
There's nothing we do that doesn't waste time.
Sanxu_old
"waste - noun"
"1. an act or instance of using or expending something carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose."

Well OP, if you want me to answer that question, you'll first have to answer me what the purpose of life is.
kaiske
mom says, game cannot bring food to the dinner
Qiyana
Tell your parents they wasted your time even telling you that.
IppE
Yes, videogames are a waste of time, in the same way watching television is.

But boy it sure is a fun waste of time.
RBRat3
The only time that is wasted is your own so you first have to ask what is your time worth to you?

Sadly I've fallen out of playing games unlike my peers, I just dont enjoy them as much as I did in my youth :(
I get more gratification working on them where there is something tangible at the end not a score or game over...
A Medic

kaiske wrote:

mom says, game cannot bring food to the dinner

If you become a pro it can.
Hith0
Hmm this is tough to respond to.
On one hand video games provide you with fun and enjoyment and can help reduce the stress you feel from life.
On the other unless you join the .001% that become pro gamers, there's no way for it to become a productive part of your life.
I guess you could call it a compromise. Sacrificing productivity for enjoyment and honest fun. But that's just how I view it.
GSG95

RBRat3 wrote:

The only time that is wasted is your own so you first have to ask what is your time worth to you?
This is the real answer.