forum

[Archived] What latency is OSU! supposed to be played on?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cycloned
Problem Details:

Hey guys, I'm a new player who started a week or 2 back, and now that I'm starting to get into Hard maps, I'm noticing some lag in game. My ms on the bottom right never drops below 5-6 ms and in game it's usually 12ms. Is this bad? I only have Skype and a torrent running in the background, nothing else. I'm playing on a laptop running 1920x1080 resolution (full screen) and have disabled background video but nothing has changed. Tried changing FPS limiter to Vsync/120fps but that increased my latency. I've got an Nvidia 960M which I'm running for OSU, yet I only get 118 fps in game. Why is my fps so low in a 2D game like OSU when I get 170+ fps in 3D games like LoL Is this normal and if it isn't, what should I do?

Windows 8.1

osu! version: 20151113.3 (latest)
Dntm8kmeeatu
You should be running Unlimited for the frame limiter, DO NOT USE VSYNC.

As for input time, The optimal is 1.0 ms or below, but this requires quite a beefy machine.

I would suggest closing all background programs and maybe even lowering the resolution to improve performance.

Skype is quite the resource hog, and I don't understand why people even use it anymore.
Topic Starter
Cycloned

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

You should be running Unlimited for the frame limiter, DO NOT USE VSYNC.

As for input time, The optimal is 1.0 ms or below, but this requires quite a beefy machine.

I would suggest closing all background programs and maybe even lowering the resolution to improve performance.

Skype is quite the resource hog, and I don't understand why people even use it anymore.
I tried changing resolution to something lower, it just increased my latency. Is this game really badly optimized or something? I have no idea why a laptop with an i7 processor, 16 GB RAM and a 960M should lag in any way on such a graphically simple game.
Dntm8kmeeatu
*Shrugs*

I have a powerful gaming rig. You shouldn't be having too many problems.

What are the specific specs of the processor? an "I7" doesn't really mean anything
Topic Starter
Cycloned

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

*Shrugs*

I have a powerful gaming rig. You shouldn't be having too many problems.

What are the specific specs of the processor? an "I7" doesn't really mean anything
i7 4720Q, Quad Core 2.6 GHz. I get more than 150 fps at max settings in LoL, DoTA 2, CS GO, etc. but only 118 in OSU.

Is 7-8ms okay for competitive play?
Dntm8kmeeatu
I really don't know.. If you learn to play with it, you should be fine... I know there are plenty people with low end machines in the top 10k.

BUT... It is better to have a good powerful computer. Yours is pretty good, Honestly you should be getting some more fps in Osu.. I don't understand why you aren't.

But same goes for keyboard.. You can play with rubber dome / membrane... But everyone says mechanical is better.

I get about 500-600fps (About 2ms) in Osu when playing... I swore I used to get 1k and under 1ms But I do have chrome and steam open... But it works fine for me, I also play CSGO and get about 300 fps on max settings.

You should be fine... I think.

*Shrugs once more*
Trosk-
Just in case, and since you are using a laptop, are you completely sure that your PC is using the NVidia GPU to run osu!, and not the integrated one? Because you wouldn't be the first person with this problem. Go to the NVidia configuration and check it. Take a look here if you don't know how to do it.

Cycloned wrote:

Is this game really badly optimized or something?
Well, not really. Probably the only problem could come if your PC is one of those with the "Optimus" (I belive it's named like that) technology. If I remember correctly, the new versions are not working really good on PCs with that technology.

Cycloned wrote:

Well, actually no. An "okay" latency would probably be 3ms (around 300fps), being the optimus 1ms (1000fps), but it depends on what you consider "competitive play". Seeing your profile this is not going to be a hugew issue yet.
TakuMii
It sounds more than likely that your problems are caused by incompatibilities with Nvidia Optimus. Go into your drivers and force osu to run using your integrated Intel GPU and the game should run better.
Topic Starter
Cycloned

Trosk- wrote:

Just in case, and since you are using a laptop, are you completely sure that your PC is using the NVidia GPU to run osu!, and not the integrated one? Because you wouldn't be the first person with this problem. Go to the NVidia configuration and check it. Take a look here if you don't know how to do it.

Cycloned wrote:

Is this game really badly optimized or something?
Well, not really. Probably the only problem could come if your PC is one of those with the "Optimus" (I belive it's named like that) technology. If I remember correctly, the new versions are not working really good on PCs with that technology.

Cycloned wrote:

Well, actually no. An "okay" latency would probably be 3ms (around 300fps), being the optimus 1ms (1000fps), but it depends on what you consider "competitive play". Seeing your profile this is not going to be a hugew issue yet.
Was running the GPU from the start, that was never the issue. I am however, happy to say that I have fixed the problem, here's what I did:

Latest OSU update increased my latency to 12ms constant, no idea why. Checked out my drivers, they were out of date so I updated them. Still 12ms constant latency (5-6ms in lobby though).

Then, I turned on window mode, and bam, latency dropped to 5 ms. I removed everything from detail and now it's 3-5ms, I'm pleased. Weird how I had to disable fullscreen though, since that feature is advertised to reduce latency.
TakuMii
That number in the bottom right is your frametime, not your latency. The game can not measure the amount of latency you have (there's simply too many variables for that to be measurable). Since you're running on Windows 8.1, windowed mode will give you a few extra frames of latency regardless of what you do.
That being said, 12ms frametime equates to a framerate of about 80-85fps, which is more problematic than having a few frames of input lag. As I said before, osu currently has issues with Nvidia Optimus, and for now, you'll need to disable your Nvidia GPU to allow osu to run properly.
Topic Starter
Cycloned

YayMii wrote:

That number in the bottom right is your frametime, not your latency. The game can not measure the amount of latency you have (there's simply too many variables for that to be measurable). Since you're running on Windows 8.1, windowed mode will give you a few extra frames of latency regardless of what you do.
That being said, 12ms frametime equates to a framerate of about 80-85fps, which is more problematic than having a few frames of input lag. As I said before, osu currently has issues with Nvidia Optimus, and for now, you'll need to disable your Nvidia GPU to allow osu to run properly.
The ms value is framerate? Because I get 3 different boxes, 1 with an fps value (out of 240 fps), 1 with a hz value (out of 60Hz) and the normal ms box that's always there.

So how am I supposed to measure input latency if it's the not the ms value?
TakuMii

Cycloned wrote:

The ms value is framerate? Because I get 3 different boxes, 1 with an fps value (out of 240 fps), 1 with a hz value (out of 60Hz) and the normal ms box that's always there.

The ms value is frame time (as in, how long each frame lasts). For a game like osu!, where the framerate is often in the hundreds (if not thousands), the frametime is a lot more useful than the framerate at showing how fast the game is running, since there'll be less benefits as the framerate gets higher. (although if you really want to know your framerate, you can divide 1000 by your ms value to get a rough estimate)
As for the other box, it simply shows a framerate (fps value) whenever the framerate is being limited, and your refresh rate (Hz value) whenever the framerate isn't being limited.

And there's not really much you can do to measure input latency unless you have all sorts of fancy scientific equipment to do it. The only reasonable way you can do it is with a high-framerate camera, or just by feel (although feel is only relative; it's much more difficult to feel input lag if you haven't tried something more responsive).
There are simply too many variables for the input latency to be shown as a simple number (e.g. framerate, monitor display lag, monitor response time, GPU driver settings, mouse/tablet/keyboard latency, polling rates, processing delays, the operating system, the game/program itself, etc).

tl;dr: osu's ms value does have to do with framerate, and input latency is too complicated to be simply measured
VeilStar

Cycloned wrote:

I turned on window mode, and bam, latency dropped to 5 ms. I removed everything from detail and now it's 3-5ms, I'm pleased. Weird how I had to disable fullscreen though, since that feature is advertised to reduce latency.
That seems backwards and is not supposed to happen.

Running osu! in fullscreen does provide less latency. (Note that the ms value you see at the bottom right is not the latency you're getting, but the frametime, as YayMii said. You can have more latency than this number says, so don't use it to get an idea of how much latency you're getting.)

If you minimize osu! when it's running in fullscreen, does it 'flash' for a split second when transistioning? Or is it just a smooth, instant transistion without a flash? If it doesn't flash it looks like osu! isn't running in exclusive fullscreen on your system. If this is the case and you want to run osu! in actual fullscreen (reducing latency) I'd recommend you to use the Stable (Fallback) release stream untill this is fixed.

If you haven't already, please update your graphics drivers if they aren't up-to-date.
Topic Starter
Cycloned

YayMii wrote:

Cycloned wrote:

The ms value is frame time (as in, how long each frame lasts). For a game like osu!, where the framerate is often in the hundreds (if not thousands), the frametime is a lot more useful than the framerate at showing how fast the game is running, since there'll be less benefits as the framerate gets higher. (although if you really want to know your framerate, you can divide 1000 by your ms value to get a rough estimate)
As for the other box, it simply shows a framerate (fps value) whenever the framerate is being limited, and your refresh rate (Hz value) whenever the framerate isn't being limited.

And there's not really much you can do to measure input latency unless you have all sorts of fancy scientific equipment to do it. The only reasonable way you can do it is with a high-framerate camera, or just by feel (although feel is only relative; it's much more difficult to feel input lag if you haven't tried something more responsive).
There are simply too many variables for the input latency to be shown as a simple number (e.g. framerate, monitor display lag, monitor response time, GPU driver settings, mouse/tablet/keyboard latency, polling rates, processing delays, the operating system, the game/program itself, etc).

tl;dr: osu's ms value does have to do with framerate, and input latency is too complicated to be simply measured
Thank you for clarifying that.

VeilStar wrote:

Cycloned wrote:

I turned on window mode, and bam, latency dropped to 5 ms. I removed everything from detail and now it's 3-5ms, I'm pleased. Weird how I had to disable fullscreen though, since that feature is advertised to reduce latency.
That seems backwards and is not supposed to happen.

Running osu! in fullscreen does provide less latency. (Note that the ms value you see at the bottom right is not the latency you're getting, but the frametime, as YayMii said. You can have more latency than this number says, so don't use it to get an idea of how much latency you're getting.)

If you minimize osu! when it's running in fullscreen, does it 'flash' for a split second when transistioning? Or is it just a smooth, instant transistion without a flash? If it doesn't flash it looks like osu! isn't running in exclusive fullscreen on your system. If this is the case and you want to run osu! in actual fullscreen (reducing latency) I'd recommend you to use the Stable (Fallback) release stream untill this is fixed.

If you haven't already, please update your graphics drivers if they aren't up-to-date.
It's an instant transition without flash. I'm now certain it's not running full screen mode correctly because when I alt+tab to another window, OSU is still open and running, only the new window is now on top of the client. I switched to Fallback and the same thing is happening. There is no difference between windowed and non windowed mode, pretty much.

How can I fix this?
Trosk-

Cycloned wrote:

It's an instant transition without flash. I'm now certain it's not running full screen mode correctly because when I alt+tab to another window, OSU is still open and running, only the new window is now on top of the client. I switched to Fallback and the same thing is happening. There is no difference between windowed and non windowed mode, pretty much.
How can I fix this?
Remember that this

is not the same as this:

You need to have the Fullscreen mode option enablet to use exclusive full screen. Also, just in case, are you being able to change the resolution, or are you stuck on the same one? Because this happened to some users in the past.
-Lunatic

Cycloned wrote:

There is no difference between windowed and non windowed mode, pretty much.

How can I fix this?
You can't, osu uses openGL and opengl games can't go '"totally" fullscreen.
But, it's very strange that your pc is running at low framerate, it couldn't happen...
Your PC should run with 0,5ms delay or less...
Try updating your graphics drivers via manufactures's website. Drives updated via Windows update don't support opengl.
And plug your laptop on AC and set it to True color, 60hz(or 120/144 idk). When i play with battery life my potato laptop sets to 40hz and be stuck at 180fps.

And please don't play on windowed mode, mainly on Windows 8+, the input delay is very high and isn't added on the ms box on FPS counter... And u can't fix this... Except you're using Windows 7 with aero disabled.

Also, this new osu version is in-depth and is lagging for various people, try going to fallback and switching between opengl and directx renderers
VeilStar

Cycloned wrote:

How can I fix this?
For now, as I said, try updating your graphics drivers. If that doesn't change anything, you may report your issues here.Use the Stable (Fallback) and use the DirectX renderer untill this is fixed.

strInsert wrote:

You can't, osu uses openGL and opengl games can't go '"totally" fullscreen.
They can. At the very least osu! can.

strInsert wrote:

And please don't play on windowed mode, mainly on Windows 8+, the input delay is very high and isn't added on the ms box on FPS counter... And u can't fix this... Except you're using Windows 7 with aero disabled.
The fact that you're experiencing this in windowed mode and not in fullscreen is proof that osu! is actually running in exclusive fullscreen. If you get the same delay on both windowed and fullscreen exclusive fullscreen isn't working properly. So try updating your graphics drivers first. And if that doesn't help it, switch back to Stable (Fallback) and use the DirectX renderer untill this is fixed.

strInsert wrote:

Also, this new osu version is in-depth and is lagging for various people
That should be reported here. The devs are working on fixing everything for everyone, and that's definitely something you can help with if you're experiencing issues.