forum

Videos For Main Menu Background

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +32
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]
I would like to place videos in the main menu background if you know the league of legends launcher or have played any stepmania you know what i mean
You can put a video which will repeat itself over and over again (it would be great to add video loops like the examples below)

Examples

Cutting Edge

Estable

I used this video for those examples, it has a duration of only 16 seconds, but I made it repeat over and over again to get that result
(http://puu.sh/ddgGq/8f50dce038.jpg)

and here is a playlist with a lot of 1080p loops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWF7dZT ... 5Wru93WVtG
drum drum
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]
is not the same .__.

im asking for add videos in the main menu background
he's asking to change background depending on the song he's listening (which is a static image because it takes the images from the beatmaps)
Oinari-sama
Nah...

Since the movement of both the osu cookie and the triangles are beat depedent (ie changes when the song change), following that trend, I don't think a one-size-fits-all video loop will be the way to go. t/98954 is more likely to happen than this.

Marking as duplicate for time being.
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]
this is not a duplicate, why moved to completed request only because you dont like it?

Afentus wrote:

this is not a duplicate, why moved to completed request only because you dont like it?
mods can do whatever they like without any reason, deal with it ;)
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]
i made this video to give a more detailed example

Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]
cutting edge version
Sea_Food

Afentus wrote:

Welcome to the osu forums!

Anyway the suggestion is pretty good.
Since the movement of both the osu cookie and the triangles are beat depedent (ie changes when the song change), following that trend, I don't think a one-size-fits-all video loop will be the way to go.
But its done in other games aswell like this example

Sure this does not have any objects flashing to the beat, but its still the same video loop running to various songs of the game while still fitting in well.
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]

Oinari-sama wrote:

Since the movement of both the osu cookie and the triangles are beat depedent (ie changes when the song change), following that trend, I don't think a one-size-fits-all video loop will be the way to go.

My request is the possibility of place videos in the main menu background, it doesn't need to fit with the song, its just a video which repeats itself over and over again, kinda like the league of legends launcher

Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]
and personally i think this request make more sense that t/98954
why?
because some beatmaps have horrible images and others simply have images that will not looks well in the main menu background
also they will have problems with the "menu glow" which will not looks well in all images, unless they use a white "menu glow"
deadbeat
there have been requests for videos in the background, though not in this regard. can confirm it's not a duplicate
going to move back for now, however am i VERY unsure about this one
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]

deadbeat wrote:

there have been requests for videos in the background, though not in this regard. can confirm it's not a duplicate
going to move back for now, however am i VERY unsure about this one
t/13681 is the more similar request and still without being the same

This request has not been discussed before and is not a duplicate

Thx for move it again deadbeat ;)
Oinari-sama

Afentus wrote:

It has nothing to do with personal like/dislikes, though often misunderstood. When the information on hand potentially conflicts with trends of past implementation, it is either denied or redirected to the closest alternatives before stars strike. The thread can be moved back if another member of the team thinks otherwise, so rest assured that a single mod cannot "monopolise the decision."

Btw did you realise how much a good demo video would've helped at the time of posting? If something can help sell your ideas, it's most effective to include iit when you make the topic.
FrzR
rip fps
Bara-
Inb4 supporter only

Does this seriously triggers the 'Please don't post 'Support' notification'?
Bladesu
Yes please.
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]

Fr33z3R wrote:

rip fps
so, you cant play beatmaps with videos?
is the same
deadbeat
right, so now that i have a bit more time on my hands, i don't really like this idea that much. i don't really see the need for something like this because i never really spend that long at the main menu. and if i am at the main menu, it's because i'm visiting the options or chatting, and if i'm chatting, i could see this very distracting. i'd also rather not have osu! running a video in the background for several hours while i'm alt+tabbed doing other stuff. i am fully aware that it'd be a purely optional thing and not everyone will share my view on this, but i think the dynamic wallpaper request that was previously linked is more than enough.
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]

deadbeat wrote:

right, so now that i have a bit more time on my hands, i don't really like this idea that much. i don't really see the need for something like this because i never really spend that long at the main menu. and if i am at the main menu, it's because i'm visiting the options or chatting, and if i'm chatting, i could see this very distracting. i'd also rather not have osu! running a video in the background for several hours while i'm alt+tabbed doing other stuff. i am fully aware that it'd be a purely optional thing and not everyone will share my view on this, but i think the dynamic wallpaper request that was previously linked is more than enough.
there can be a button to stop the video, anyways it is something completely optional, you can decide if you want a simple wallpaper or a video

and as i said above, personally i dont like the dynamic wallpapers request
because some beatmaps have horrible images and others simply have images that will not looks well in the main menu background

to give you some examples

also they will have problems with the "menu glow" which will not looks well in all images, unless they use a white "menu glow"
deadbeat
there is another request to allow multiple different backgrounds that works differently to the dynamic backgrounds request were it sorts through different backgrounds within the skin folder, which i personally like the sounds of more
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]

deadbeat wrote:

there is another request to allow multiple different backgrounds that works differently to the dynamic backgrounds request were it sorts through different backgrounds within the skin folder, which i personally like the sounds of more
even that should not be an impediment, both requests are completely different and both can be accepted
Green Platinum

deadbeat wrote:

i never really spend that long at the main menu.
The BG video would also be there for multiplayer matches too
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]

Green Platinum wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

and osu!direct xD
deadbeat

Green Platinum wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

oh god, that'd be awful ;A;
WingSilent
The idea itself is not bad but.. is it really a need ?

You just open osu! Then click twice to play or mapping, you can't even have time to see the video.. that's my point of view.
I can't say more about it for now.
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]
you will see the video in multiplayer matchs and osu!direct also

i dont know if i'm the only who leave the osu main menu opened playing music while do another things? xD
unddasnoch
this look so cool *_*
Angelo
I really like the idea! Have my stars ;)
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]
added three example videos more :)
Biri Biri

Fr33z3R wrote:

rip fps
Also saying goodbye to other RAM eaters in the background for low-end PCs.

"Maybe" a supporter perk. That's defaulted to Off and limited to some kind of guidelines or something.
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]

Kamidachi wrote:

Fr33z3R wrote:

rip fps
Also saying goodbye to other RAM eaters in the background for low-end PCs.

"Maybe" a supporter perk. That's defaulted to Off and limited to some kind of guidelines or something.
I'm still saying that this is optional... you can still using images background for your main menu.
You can choose between video or image... all depends in what you put into your skin folder.

Can be an option to disable videos from main menu
Or it can work together with this option

This way, people would have the option to add both things in their skins and players will be able to choose between video or image.
This will be a total bothersome. Not to mention huge RAM consumption during idle, which is kinda nonsense.
And to be frank, there's no point of watching videos with a big pink cookie covering the most of it.
Topic Starter
[ -Harasho- ]

inverness wrote:

This will be a total bothersome. Not to mention huge RAM consumption during idle, which is kinda nonsense.
ooh, see that huge 65mb ram consumption QQ

inverness wrote:

And to be frank, there's no point of watching videos with a big pink cookie covering the most of it.
It's no made to watch videos, It is purely aesthetic.
I prefer to have a moving background instead a static image (for main menu, multiplayer match and osu!direct)