forum

[Rule change] Allow an object on spinner's begin/end

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bara-
I suggest to change this rule:
No two hitobjects on the same tick (osu!mania game mode is an exception). This includes hit circles, starts and ends of sliders, and starts and ends of spinners. Although this may be possible to accomplish while playing, it defeats the purpose of following the rhythm of the song.
Into:
No two hitobjects on the same tick (osu!mania game mode is an exception). This includes hit circles, starts and end of sliders.
You are allowed to place objects on the begin of end of the spinner, but only one. For the rest, tough this may be possible to accomplish when playing, it defeats the purpose of following the rhythm of the song

Why?
Now you can make spinners begin at the exact same time instead of 1/4 later
Also, now for insanes, where you put objects 1/4 after spinners, you can make a spinner end, and make a stream starting at the end. It sometimes feels weird to start it 1/4 later, and if you end the spinner 1/4 earlier, it sounds weird, as the end of the spinner also makes a sound.
It might be a bad explanation to why it is needed, so if more explanation is needed, please tell.
Wafu
I cannot agree. Player should have enough place to spin within whole time of the spinner. If you put the note on start, the player will be delayed. If you are using spinner on the right place, you should not be complaining about this. If there is something what's worth mapping - do it and don't place spinner or place it 1/4 later. If the spinner starts 1/4 later, you cannot hear it, there is no beat sound, so there is also no need to place it exactly. The end can be freely manipulated and hitsounded, so your explaination is probably not the best.
syuru
I don't really get why you would want to put the note at the same time as the spinner. Notes are supposed to come before or after spinners so that players have enough time to spin. Not everyone spins in the 300-400 rpm range and if a player has to start late on a short spinner because they were hitting a note, they might have trouble completing it. There's already a guideline (rule? forgot to check) that notes cannot be placed too close to the end of a spinner.

I usually see spinners used in the beginning, end and before the chorus of a song and at all of these points it doesn't seem necessary to put notes right as the spinner begins or ends.
Topic Starter
Bara-
Take a look at Image -material <Version0>, the begin
Scorpiour diff
A note followed by a spinner. I'd say, allow the spinner to start at the same time as that object, instead of 1/4 later, thus giving MORE time to spin.
Also, on longer spinners, whenever they end, I always go on, w/o break
For example my In the Middle Of The Night map (can't post link, I'm on mobile)
After the 1st kiai, there is a long spinner
After that, there is a triplet in 1/4 and then 1/2
As for the spinner to not sound odd, it has to end on the begin of the stream, well, not a real stream, but if you see the map, you'll know what I mean, and I have to start 1/4 later, thus making a 'doublet', while it should be a 'Triplet'
Wafu
You said it gives more time ti spin for a player, what is wrong. If the note stars on the same place as a spinner, the player will have les time, because he cannot spin and click the circle at once. The spinner being 1/4 shorter does not mean player has less time to spin it, because the required spin is lower.
tiper
/me sighs
That doesn't make any sense.
What would that change? Spinners' begins don't make any impact on gameplay as they don't make a sound. The only impact spinners make is their ends, which you can mute if needed.
Zare
I had this idea way back but it apparently breaks Taiko, so it can't be done on a technical level.

@tiper: it just feels right when the note is mapped on a guitar string which the following spinner is supposed to be mapped on, to NOT have a gap between the beginning of the string (circle) and the holden feeling of the spinner. it doesn't change THAT much, but it does feel better if the spinner starts instantaneously.

The same applies to spinner ends but it's less important since players effectively stop spinning before they have to hit the note anyway, currently you just have to silence the spinner end which wouldnt be needed that way anymore
DakeDekaane
Not explicit breaking, but yeah, it affects CtB converts too, so no.
Nwolf
wouldn't it play like shit when having a note on the spinner end anyway
tiper

Nwolf wrote:

wouldn't it play like shit when having a note on the spinner end anyway
Certainly.
ColdTooth
Definitely what Dake says, if a spinner starts or ends where another note is, that means that you have to watch for those bananas overlapping the fruits. Also will affect taiko? (unsure but i think it does) and standard gameplay. Not only this but now you have 2 sounds playing at the same time.

You also have to worry about the overlapping of the actual spinner and the note that you have to hit before or after.

Sorry phone can type only so much
Loctav
This will never happen.