forum

Right DPI and Polling rate for mouse?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
chanhien
Hello,I recently bought a Deathadder 2013,Now I'm confusing that which DPI should I switch to (I heard some people said that lower DPI means better accuracy) I tried to switch to 400 but It's too slow and I have a small mouse pad.And polling rate is 1000hz,Is it well ?
My screen resolution is 1280 x 1024.
Thanks
Glyph
I have a DA 2013, qck+ mousepad from Steelseries, 900 dpi, .7x ingame sens. Polling rate at 500hz I think, but 1000hz should work just fine.

Get a bigger mouse pad and move your arm more.
Topic Starter
chanhien

Gimmesoup wrote:

I have a DA 2013, qck+ mousepad from Steelseries, 900 dpi, .7x ingame sens. Polling rate at 500hz I think, but 1000hz should work just fine.

Get a bigger mouse pad and move your arm more.
Thanks for that tip
AmaiHachimitsu
The best DPI in terms of tracking is 1300 in DA 2013, but these are minor differences.

Lower sensitivity (not necessarily DPI) - better aiming accuracy.

900 dpi and the resolution you mentioned are pretty good. I wouldn't call it low sens, but medium setting. And it's ok if your mousepad is not big.

I play 1366x768 (playfield is 1024x768) with 400 dpi and it's already very slow, so keep gimmesoup's settings.

Remember not to change osu! or windows sensitivity and tick the precision off in control panel.

1000mhz is the fastest rate on the market, making the latency 1ms only, so it's ok
TakuMii
If you have a mouse with adjustable DPI, you should only be using 1.0x in-game (otherwise it'll affect your mouse's precision). Polling rate depends on your CPU; I've had stuttering in some games that was caused solely by my use of 1000Hz (on my ultrabook) but it should be the best setting if this isn't a problem for you. Otherwise, just stick to 500Hz.
DPI is mainly personal preference. I'd generally recommend somewhere between 400 to 1000dpi (I used 450dpi at 1366x768, and I think I'm comfortable with 670dpi since my switch to 1600x900. My mouse has weird DPI steps). I think most players use 400 or 800dpi, but I've seen a couple of high-ranked players using settings like 1800dpi so using a higher DPI isn't completely out of the question.
Espionage724

YayMii wrote:

DPI is mainly personal preference.
True, but something to also consider is how your mouse handles higher DPI. Some mice start throwing "fake" data at higher DPI, leading to inaccuracy.

Only way to know that for sure is to dig up some information on the sensor I believe, but I'm pretty sure you'd also be able to notice.

My GIGABYTE Force M7 mouse was 1000Hz polling, and I used 800 DPI. I believe anything higher than 1600 DPI had the fake data thing (there's a word for it that starts with "i"). I could only increase it in steps of 400 though, between 400 and 3200 DPI. Windows and osu! sensitivity were set at default (6/11 and 1.0x).
PhoenixBird
For pro mouses i think the best is to use 500Hz polling rate, coz 1000hz in usb 2.0 not supported well and it cut it...so then you play on mouse it feels like you fighting against the mouse(pulls the mouse). But for example on X7 A4tech polling rate 1000hz(in fact lower ~950 i think) so there is no cut of rate. For this type of mouse use 1000hz)
Glyph

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

The best DPI in terms of tracking is 1300 in DA 2013
Sorry if this is a necropost, (Although I'm fairly confident this isn't) but I heard that the native DPI on the DA2013 is 1800, not 1300. Where did you hear about the optimal dpi being 1300?
Soulg

Gimmesoup wrote:

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

The best DPI in terms of tracking is 1300 in DA 2013
Sorry if this is a necropost, (Although I'm fairly confident this isn't) but I heard that the native DPI on the DA2013 is 1800, not 1300. Where did you hear about the optimal dpi being 1300?
native dpi isn't necessarily the optimal dpi.
Glyph

Soulg wrote:

native dpi isn't necessarily the optimal dpi.
I understand that, but the native dpi usually does do quite well.

I'm not questioning this, but I'm still curious as to where he got this information.
Soulg
AmaiHachimitsu
I'm not questioning this, but I'm still curious as to where he got this information.
My bad. I've been lied to. I've done some more in-depth research myself instead of trusting random people.

Seems like DA2k13's tracking is more or less the same whatever the DPI is. Though I'd still recommend native one or 900.
NixXSkate
SiLviA uses 1000dpi with 800x600 resolution and he seems to play fine :^)
Naikaze

NixXSkate wrote:

800x600 resolution
All of my wat
[ Obe ]
I bought the deathadder 2013 around 1 month ago and I have tried many different DPI settings (400~1800), different mousepads (Steelseries qck+, Razer Goliathus)a nd of course I don't use mouse precision (I have always had it off), I have tried using MarkC's mouse fix etc, but I have to say that this mouse doesn't feel all that great for Osu!, it feels somewhat accurate, but not THAT accurate.

I actually regret buying it and after doing a lot of research I realized that I should have bought a tablet or a Logitech G400 or a WMO/IME for Osu! :(.
NixXSkate

Gatyaa420 wrote:

NixXSkate wrote:

800x600 resolution
All of my wat

XD

[ Obe ] wrote:

I bought the deathadder 2013 around 1 month ago and I have tried many different DPI settings (400~1800), different mousepads (Steelseries qck+, Razer Goliathus)a nd of course I don't use mouse precision (I have always had it off), I have tried using MarkC's mouse fix etc, but I have to say that this mouse doesn't feel all that great for Osu!, it feels somewhat accurate, but not THAT accurate.

I actually regret buying it and after doing a lot of research I realized that I should have bought a tablet or a Logitech G400 or a WMO/IME for Osu! :(.
a DA2013 is fine for osu!, just kinda big, whatchu talkin bout
AmaiHachimitsu
SiLviA's 800x600 was only for this and maybe few more maps. He normally uses 1024x768 playfield.

And his mouse sucks balls
chox_old
playing on low resolutions can help to develop more precise muscle memory
@thread im using ~450 (zowie fk so it's not exact 450) and 1000 hz
Tom94

[ Obe ] wrote:

Did you turn off mouse acceleration in the control panel mouse settings? If not, then do so. I've recently got the DA2013 and had no acceleration at all while doing my tests. I've been able to aim almost as good as with tablet within playing for a few hours.
(600 DPI @ 1280x800. Equals 900 DPI @ 1920x1200. Having the control panel mouse speed at 6/11 and osu! ingame at 1.0x.)

1000Hz should be the best polling rate if your PC manages to keep up. If you experience stuttering in your mouse movement, try using a lower polling rate.
DPI completely depends on what mouse you are using (how good it is at a certain DPI) and on where your preferences are.
NixXSkate

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

SiLviA's 800x600 was only for this and maybe few more maps. He normally uses 1024x768 playfield.

And his mouse sucks balls
Everyone says his mouse sucks even though they never used it or know anything about the sensor in it. :I
It probably does, but the ergonomics on it is amazing.
People just assume it sucks since he adjust his hands a lot, but it could just be habit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But, it's hard to know for sure since it's so hard to find an optical Pop Grast for me to try. :V
AmaiHachimitsu
Everyone says his mouse sucks even though they never used it or know anything about the sensor in it. :I
There must be a reason that nobody knows about it. I guess it uses similar sensor to this used in lower tier Logitech mice. Though guessing only.

It probably does, but the ergonomics on it is amazing.
I have to agree.

People just assume it sucks since he adjust his hands a lot, but it could just be habit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have this kind of habit and SiLviA looks like he has it too, though in SiLviA's case you can see it's partly for adjusting the mouse at the same time.
[ Obe ]

Pancake wrote:

Did you turn off mouse acceleration in the control panel mouse settings? If not, then do so. I've recently got the DA2013 and had no acceleration at all while doing my tests. I've been able to aim almost as good as with tablet within playing for a few hours.
(600 DPI @ 1280x800. Equals 900 DPI @ 1920x1200. Having the control panel mouse speed at 6/11 and osu! ingame at 1.0x.)

1000Hz should be the best polling rate if your PC manages to keep up. If you experience stuttering in your mouse movement, try using a lower polling rate.
DPI completely depends on what mouse you are using (how good it is at a certain DPI) and on where your preferences are.
I've always had mouse acceleration off, but I seemed to have problems with my USB ports as their polling rates were overclocked for my previous mice, I uninstalled this and to my surprise I did some mouse tests and you're right, it had completely no accel (it did before).
Xcrypt
I don't get how you all play with so low dpi. I mean, this is osu dammit. In shooters I understand because you don't really need to move crosshair a lot except for making dem turns. But how do you all make hard osu jumps with 400 dpi? I mean your arms must be damn sore after a big black attempt?

I'm playing with 1200 dpi @ 1366x768, and I like it because it is just low enough to use only my wrist for the entire playfield, giving me a speed boost. I don't want to move my arms because that sounds like a lot of work (and it seems slow). I'm still noob though, but it seems like lower dpi don't work well for hard-insane/extra maps, and for anything below that you don't really need the low dpi either. It might help on lower difficulties but you should be able to get to the point where you make 0 misses due to aim on those lower difficulties with 1000-2000 dpi
GoldenWolf
You practice a lot and your arm won't get tired from jumpy maps (except if you overdo it ofc)

Low DPI is better in osu! because you need to be accurate to aim small circles (like any insane with HR, for example)
You can get decent aim with higher DPI, but at a lower DPI you'll have more consistency, because you have more room for errors
Almost
Only benefit of high DPI is the fact that drift effects you less.
Tom94

Xcrypt wrote:

I don't get how you all play with so low dpi. I mean, this is osu dammit. In shooters I understand because you don't really need to move crosshair a lot except for making dem turns. But how do you all make hard osu jumps with 400 dpi? I mean your arms must be damn sore after a big black attempt?

I'm playing with 1200 dpi @ 1366x768, and I like it because it is just low enough to use only my wrist for the entire playfield, giving me a speed boost. I don't want to move my arms because that sounds like a lot of work (and it seems slow). I'm still noob though, but it seems like lower dpi don't work well for hard-insane/extra maps, and for anything below that you don't really need the low dpi either. It might help on lower difficulties but you should be able to get to the point where you make 0 misses due to aim on those lower difficulties with 1000-2000 dpi
My main reason is the additional accuracy you get from a smaller DPI. I chose mine (just like with my tablet area) to be the smallest possible where I can still reach every corner of the screen with only wrist and finger movement (claw grip). From my personal experience using my whole arm leads to a lot worse aim, so this seems to be the sweet spot for me.
Also keep in mind that wrist / fingers are in general a lot easier to move around quickly than your arm, so you can still play very fast patterns like this.
Xcrypt
Still, lower dpi gives you a larger error zone but due to my arms being much less accurate/clunkier than my wrists it wouldn't matter much anyway I think. Also, I really don't have an idea how I'm supposed to move properly with arms+wrist to aim correctly. The reason they use low dpi in shooters is because they can permit wrist aiming + low dpi for aiming because they don't need to move crosshair in big jumps often. For turns and stuff you don't need to be that accurate so you can use arm movement in a low dpi setting. But in osu, you need to jump all the way across the screen, and therefore you would have to use arm movement on a low dpi so I really have my doubts about low dpi = better in osu.
And being affected less by drift means more speed on hard jumpy maps which is what I was referring to.

Dunno, I might try 400 dpi someday but for now I feel like I am not at all limited by my aim. Might change when I actually start playing hard-insane maps for accuracy.

@Pancake:
That sounds very fair and is exactly my idea on the matter. But it seems like 1200 dpi is exactly this sweet spot for me. How do you get it any lower?
Topic Starter
chanhien

Xcrypt wrote:

I think your avatar describes your problem :P (I do play FPS,too.That's why I use synapse to change my DPI up to 2600.About 6400 DPI,wat...)
Anyway,I've used to 900DPI since then,about the polling rate,maybe I should switch to 500hz?
show more