forum

Disable HP drain while Sudden Death is active

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
MillhioreF
Inspired by Silynn's post here. t/109893

Some maps are impossible or close to impossible just to pass with Hard Rock due to the drain involved. If Sudden Death removed drain, then the player could take the risk of instantly failing in exchange for being able to pass where they couldn't otherwise, giving the mod some practical use. Most maps wouldn't be affected by this change, but the ones that would are desperately in need of this.
deadbeat
same with perfect mod i'm assuming?
Jordan
That makes no sense since if a player is sure he/she can fc the map all you're asking is "disable HP drain so I can pass some maps with HR"
Aqo

Jordan wrote:

That makes no sense since if a player is sure he/she can fc the map all you're asking is "disable HP drain so I can pass some maps with HR"
That's pretty much the point. Allow maps to be passable with HR, when they're otherwise not, which is a map flaw.
Topic Starter
MillhioreF
Yeah, Perfect mod too, of course. This would be a nice little touch, and just serve to diversify scores more, like the fixing of doubletime in CTB.
Saten
But still...
Can you FC this? The last spinner kills you with HR :P
t/100867
Topic Starter
MillhioreF
Haha, if anyone can FC that with HR then they deserve to survive! This obviously would only help in a very small amount of cases and a very small amount of players, but it's completely lame having some maps be literally impossible with some mods.
TheVileOne
I disagree.

This would be unfair. Sudden death doesn't reduce the multiplier. Why should we disable something that makes a song more difficult without penalizing the player who uses it. I could just play any of the easier difficulties that I don't miss anyways and I could just get rid of annoying drain completely.

I'm sure people are not going to like it if Sudden death was worth less than 1.0x. It's certainly not worth breaking the balance to fix a gamemode that can be easily fixed by other ways.

Discuss.

-pesky typos
Aqo

TheVileOne wrote:

This would be unfair. Sudden death doesn't reduce the multiplier. Why should we disable something that makes a song more difficult without penalizing the player who uses it.
You don't get it.

This is not a matter of how difficult something is. It's practically impossible to pass some maps with HR.
Wishy
Supporting this. No real point on using Perfect or Sudden Death at all right now, and this would solve some problems + won't really change anything@the game.
TheVileOne
I guess it wouldn't cause too much damage. I'd rather keep all the mods as authentic as possible though. It would be strange that sudden death would have this feature which has nothing to do with sudden death.
Wishy
Thanks to that way of thinking there are lots of things in this game that will never get fixed/improved.
druidxd
What about increasing the HP gain of spinners, so you aren't able to die in hr while spinning at about, idk 400 rpm? that's not that easy, but it's not as impossible as trying to achieve 500 rpm.
Anzo
Disabling HP drain (I prefer to just divide it by 1.4 though) may help you FC HR'ed insane maps but it doesn't mean SuddenDeath/Perfect will let you FC that easily. It will be a difficult challenge for players.

Support
bwross

Aqo wrote:

TheVileOne wrote:

This would be unfair. Sudden death doesn't reduce the multiplier. Why should we disable something that makes a song more difficult without penalizing the player who uses it.
You don't get it.

This is not a matter of how difficult something is. It's practically impossible to pass some maps with HR.
True. But this isn't the way to solve it... because it does more than just fix that, it also does what TheVileOne says, it will make some maps that are passible with HR easier by removing the threat of their precision sections. More importantly, it will do this for maps that aren't being played with HR. The problem should be addressed more directly.., not with a sledgehammer.
JappyBabes
Although there are maps like Mendes, no support. It's not the HP making auto fail. Personally, I think you should only pass a map if you played well instead of maintaining a combo.
theowest
This would make it unfair for those who doesn't play with Sudden Death. Why? You'd be able to survive with low accuracy when you're suppose to fail.
It doesn't make any sense to have for Perfect mod anyway, because the perfect score should keep you alive.
TheVileOne
I'd rather he fix the tendency of spinners to give no drain back. I mean in some maps, the spinners in CTB can take nearly half your lifebar and there's nothing you can do about it, and that's without Hardrock.
Kitokofox
I can agree to this being a factor. Because, if you miss in Sudden Death, you die anyway. And I can understand some maps can be impossible in HR because of poor map balancing. If maps had more practical HP drains then we wouldn't have to go through this.

I'd need an example where it's impossible with HR added first, before I support this.

In other words, I have an alternative. If you're on 100% accuracy, you can't fail. That would be much more fair.
ZeroEightOne
A short word :

Ruirize
While we're on the subject - I've always thought that if you didn't benefit from a mod (think NoFail) that it should not apply. NoFail doesn't apply when you don't run out of HP, so why is it still counted?

Just a thought.
theowest

TheVileOne wrote:

I'd rather he fix the tendency of spinners to give no drain back. I mean in some maps, the spinners in CTB can take nearly half your lifebar and there's nothing you can do about it, and that's without Hardrock.
I believe there is a request about spinners and HP drain rate.

That it won't drain your HP if you have cleared the spinner. That would solve so many Hardrock problems.
Winshley
No support for me. Sorry! :(

HP Drain is part of a map, and this feature makes SuddenDeath and Perfect more like a quirkier version of NoFail.