forum

The official osu! mascot

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Loginer
osu! has a lot of awesome functions at the moment. Online scoreboards and multiplayer, skins, storyboarding... There's only one thing EBA/Ouendan has that osu! is still missing: 3D dancers. However, when the point was brought up almost a year ago, no one wanted to/knew how to actually make dancers. Well, I was bored, and after a couple of tutorials in 3ds Max, my ugly/semi-decent Ryuta model was born.

However, the character design was stolen from iNiS. osu! needed a custom design for a dancer, so when the subject of creating a mascot was brought up on IRC one day, I spontaneously made a topic. The rest is history, and the mascot, currently known as Pippi (resembles the nick peppy), was soon born.
A bunch of 2D artists presented their drawings, and in the end, Sarumaru's design was chosen.

I'm currently working on the dancer. I post a picture every now and then, and ask the community about things to improve. The model is getting close to the finish line, and we'll hopefully see it in-game before during the start of at the end of November in 2008 When It's Done.

Pippi will most likely be cel-shaded with outlines for that anime-like look, and the triangle-count will be at approximately 10,000, which means you'll need a decent graphics card (Mid-range GeForce 6 series/Radeon R400 series or better should be more than enough for 60 FPS). If you're not sure if your computer is powerful enough, click here. If your computer is ancient, don't worry, there will be an option to turn off dancers (but you should really just spend ~$50 on a new graphics card). Look at the last/next-to-last page of this topic for the latest WIP render.

Show's over, folks. New thread will be created once everything else is finished.
July 2011 Update: Might as well post this somewhere. Super-duper-final model with a real-time HLSL material.

LuigiHann
I still say it should be Osu-tan. :p
Topic Starter
Loginer

LuigiHann wrote:

I still say it should be Osu-tan. :p
Yes, thank you. That's an incredibly detailed description. <___<
Topic Starter
Loginer
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Topic Starter
Loginer
Sakurai damn it. NO MORE PICS, PLEASE. DESCRIPTIONS. DE. SCRIP. TIONS. Also, ideas.
LuigiHann
Style One:
-An osu logo as a giant face with arms and legs. It wears a top hat.
Style Two:
-A cute anime-style girl wearing a frilly dress with Osu-themed accessories.
Style 3:
-A robot.
Topic Starter
Loginer

LuigiHann wrote:

Style One:
-An osu logo as a giant face with arms and legs. It wears a top hat.
Style Two:
-A cute anime-style girl wearing a frilly dress with Osu-themed accessories.
Style 3:
-A robot.
Good. I'll make a poll. Any other ideas?
chan
Why don't you model peppy :P
RemmyX25

chan wrote:

I still elect my idea of Peppy's avatar popping out at the 30x/50x/100x combo marks
Topic Starter
Loginer

chan wrote:

That's the worst idea yet. <_<

RemmyX25 wrote:

chan wrote:

I still elect my idea of Peppy's avatar popping out at the 30x/50x/100x combo marks
That's just weird. >_>
machol30

RemmyX25 wrote:

chan wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha!!

I picked the robot (it was hard to choose, they're all too good), but if Peppy's avatar was included, I would choose that. :lol:
awp
The robot was awesome. I give Weegee props for that one. (I'd give you literal props but I'm on windows box right now and it's my unix box that has the "Props" key.)

If we were to take a more serious look at it though, what would make a good candidate? Human? Animal? Some kind of unique, non-descript alien species? Male? Female? Should we ballpark this before narrowing down to specific ideas?

Also shouldn't drawings help ideas out a lot? A drawing is a description damn it >=|
Topic Starter
Loginer

awp wrote:

The robot was awesome. I give Weegee props for that one. (I'd give you literal props but I'm on windows box right now and it's my unix box that has the "Props" key.)

If we were to take a more serious look at it though, what would make a good candidate? Human? Animal? Some kind of unique, non-descript alien species? Male? Female? Should we ballpark this before narrowing down to specific ideas?

Also shouldn't drawings help ideas out a lot? A drawing is a description damn it >=|
I think we should try to agree on what the mascot should look like before starting to make concept art. Sure, if you don't have anything else to do, a drawing is OK, but it's easier to chuck out good ideas, rather than good pictures.
LuigiHann
The anime-girl-style mascot could easily have a face modeled after Peppy's avatar.
awp
Something else just crossed my mind. Are we having a mascot? Or would it be a trio, akin to osu!'s forefathers, EBA/Ouendan? One (the 'leader'?) being your typical attractive young anime girl, the other two being...other uniquely-designed encouragers?

While it would work great for the aforementioned proposed 'leader', I don't think pink would look very appropriate for men. And that's basically osu!'s colour. If we were to, say, take from the game's main menu...still very bright and lively (aka gay, thinking wardrobe-specific) colours.

It would make sense if the supporting members wore white, but can you make a white costume look cool is the question I'm stumped on.
Saturos

awp wrote:

the other two being...other uniquely-designed encouragers?
A robot and an osu! logo with top hat! Problem solved.

I'm just trying to think of a reason why we'd need a mascot(s) when the osu! logo is already indentifiable and fits in just about anywhere, which is what a mascot is meant for. But if it's agreed that we should actually have a mascot(s), I feel it should be whatever default dancers that are supposed in osu!'s future, whether they be what Loginer was working on before or something new.
awp

Saturos wrote:

I feel it should be whatever default dancers that are supposed in osu!'s future
That's what we're trying to conjure up, I think.
LuigiHann
I would think that the "supporting" dancers would be dressed more or less identically to the mascot one. Differences would be mostly in face and hair. and bust size
awp
annnd body size?
RemmyX25
I too believe we have on central theme on the outfits. One backup male needs a unique hairstyle, too
Topic Starter
Loginer
awp
k idk I will try sketching some designs later tonight if I remember

I'm thinking one female (lead) two males (support) and osu!bot
LuigiHann
Why would the support dancers be male? Just wondering. Actually, I don't have a problem with it. Just wonder what the logic was.

Also, I think the mascot girl should be dressed sort of like a cheerleader, but different from the Cheer Girls in Ouendan. A more modest cheerleader outfit, pink and white, with sort of a gothic frilliness to it. Face, eyes and hair should be modeled after Peppy's avatar (red eyes version).
show more