forum

Skinning FAQ

posted
Total Posts
show more
Xiao_old
I was wondering how awp changed the followpoints to the light puck. Thanks a ton, you just opened up a whole new world for me in skinning. However,

By default, osu will cycle through however many frames you provide, over the course of one second. So if you provide 4 frames, the animation will play at 4 fps.
It's a static 1 second? So even if I make 100 frames, it'll just run it at 100fps? No wonder. I figured it ran at a stock 30fps or something. Now that I know that, guess I won't have to waste anymore time trying to figure out why my animations were going so fast. Hahaha.

Is it possible to change that, though?

Download: NicoNicoDouga - Nico Nico Douga Monogatari (Blue Dragon) [CDFA likes to feed his cocks in the morning].osu
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Xiaounlimited wrote:

I was wondering how awp changed the followpoints to the light puck. Thanks a ton, you just opened up a whole new world for me in skinning. However,

By default, osu will cycle through however many frames you provide, over the course of one second. So if you provide 4 frames, the animation will play at 4 fps.
It's a static 1 second? So even if I make 100 frames, it'll just run it at 100fps? No wonder. I figured it ran at a stock 30fps or something. Now that I know that, guess I won't have to waste anymore time trying to figure out why my animations were going so fast. Hahaha.

Is it possible to change that, though?
It is. Ask awp.
awp
I don't remember the name, but there's a field in the skin.ini - check OEWY's skin.ini file. Something like AnimationFrameRate = x milliseconds.
Xiao_old
Another question - is it possible to reskin slider tracks?
YoshiKart
You can recolor the sliders' tracks in the skin.ini file:

//The border colour on slider tracks.
SliderBorder: 117,255,255

Ignore that RBY code, that's just a light blue color for my skin.
Xiao_old
I mean completely reskin it.
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
No, only colors can be changed currently. Not sure what more you could do with sliders, given their dynamically-rendered behavior, but you could ask peppy.
YoshiKart
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Mafiamaster
Am I allowed to take different things (ex. hitcircle) that are in the skin folder or other people's folders and put them in my beatmap and upload or would I have to make my own things?
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Mafiamaster wrote:

Am I allowed to take different things (ex. hitcircle) that are in the skin folder or other people's folders and put them in my beatmap and upload or would I have to make my own things?
Ask permission from whoever made the skin. Some skinners will let you use their stuff, and some won't. In general, you should make your own stuff.
Mafiamaster
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
K2J
Use GIMP. I can speak from experience as a long time low-tech Paint (and The Games Factory, oddly enough) user that it's fairly easy to get into; if you have an image from somewhere else and want to make part of it transparent in GIMP:

1) Start a new file or open the file you want to replace.
2) Paste.
3) On the layers dialog (Ctrl + L), press the new layer button in the lower left to make the pasted image into a layer.
4) Click on the "Background" layer, then the trash can to delete it.
5) On the toolbox, choose the magic wand.
6) Select an area you want to make transparent.
7) Hit the delete key.
8) Repeat steps 6 and 7 for all the areas to be transparent.
9) Save.

If you need any help, I'm new to this too, so feel free to ask me, but with the knowledge that I probably don't know nearly as much as some of the other guys here.
Mafiamaster
After 20 minutes of fiddling around, I got it! Thanks for linking the program K2J. This is awesome!
Gens
gaph2000
How would I ensure that something on the hitcircle.png stays white? Also, could someone upload the count1.png? Mine seems to be missing.

EDIT: On second thought, would I be able to ensure something stays any color, and only a certain part changes according to the user selection?
Topic Starter
LuigiHann
Vieroz
Does anybody in this thread know how to edit the 'catch the fruit' skin and the 'taiko mode' skin,
because i didn't see their example png template on default skin.

somebody help me please...
DawnII
Catch the Beat skin defaults can be found in the latest version of the default skin, make sure you update through osume.exe.
headshotsalot
I was wondering if anyone knew a good program that can make transparent png files?
gaph2000

headshotsalot wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knew a good program that can make transparent png files?
Photoshop if you can afford it :P

But seriously, try The Gimp.
Gens
Atmey

headshotsalot wrote:

http://www.pixlr.com/editor/
Online photoshop.
dumpsterdiver

gaph2000 wrote:

Photoshop if you can afford it :P
heh
Velguador
I was wondering, is it possible to have multiple hit-circles with different images?
What I mean is, instead of having a 'transparant' hit-circle and having the game assign a background color, I want to create multiple hit-circles with different images, that are cycled between in the same way hit-circles cycle between colors.
If that made any sense.

Would that be possible, and if yes, how do I do it? I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere, and no questions about it as well, so...
Ace of Trades
Mythological Cow
Um i'm having a hard time finding out where the 'template skin for skin makers' is. Could you provide me with a url?
Azure_Kite
Open osume.exe (In the folder osu! is installed to, which is usually C:/Program Files/osu!)

Go to extras, then look for the skin in there. Hope this helps.
Mythological Cow

Azure_Kyte wrote:

Open osume.exe (In the folder osu! is installed to, which is usually C:/Program Files/osu!)

Go to extras, then look for the skin in there. Hope this helps.
thank you!
SimoneElric
ok, where is the template skin for skin makers thing?? cause i am getting REALLY pissed off cause i can't make my skins!!!!
RandomJibberish
It's on osume (The updater), which should be in your osu folder.
SimoneElric
i did look in there! it isn't there! do you think i downloaded wrong or something? and i looked in the extras and it is just blank! nothing in it! so don't suggest that cause i already tried!!!
Mara

SimoneElric wrote:

i did look in there! it isn't there! do you think i downloaded wrong or something? and i looked in the extras and it is just blank! nothing in it! so don't suggest that cause i already tried!!!
You didn't see nothing? Make sure osume.exe can connect to server! (In other words, check your firewall.)
xDionysian
Apologies for Noob Questions (tm), but needed for my pet project skin and better to look stupid now rather than later:

The blinky arrows in the corners, before a section starts after a break. Is it possible to:
A) Animate them
B) Make them stop blinking
C) Not flip symettrically to the other side

Idea to use the Boss I-No warning before Megalomania for this GG skin as said blinky arrows, so having the actual siren animation would be sweet. If not, I'll just use the first frame.

And while I'm here, is it fine to change the size of the count1.png's width? I doubt I'll be using 2/3 anyway unless you can make them slide in horizontally, at the same time, but that's just pointless as a mechanic IMHO
RandomJibberish
The arrows can't be changed in any of those ways unfortunately.

The countdown numbers are positioned by their left (Or possibly right I can't remember) edge, so it's pretty hard to skin them with larger sizes.
xDionysian

RandomJibberish wrote:

The arrows can't be changed in any of those ways unfortunately.

The countdown numbers are positioned by their left (Or possibly right I can't remember) edge, so it's pretty hard to skin them with larger sizes.
Damn.

And they go by their left edge, I remember spotting that. I just wondered since count1 was the bottom layer if it'd get a bit more leeway. But ah well. Thanks for the quick reply.
Mareep
"How do i upload a Skin? It isn't mine but i want to share it causae its one of its kind."
Chompey

Draglems1 wrote:

"How do i upload a Skin? It isn't mine but i want to share it causae its one of its kind."
http://up.ppy.sh/ or http://www.mediafire.com or http://www.megaupload.com
Dragvon

Draglems1 wrote:

Create a topic for your skin. Also, take a look in HERE and HERE
Topic Starter
LuigiHann

Draglems1 wrote:

It isn't mine but i want to share it causae its one of its kind."
If it isn't yours, then whose is it, and why can't they upload it themselves?
uchihamiguel_old
how do I put the skin (already downloaded) in the game?
show more