Catch the Beat Ranking Criteria
|| For other Ranking Criteria: General|
osu! • Taiko • Catch the Beat • osu!mania
Catch the Beat Rankability Rules and Guidelines (discussion thread)
These are NOT guidelines and they may NOT be broken under ANY circumstance.
- Your map must theoretically be SSable. This generally means you must be able to catch absolutely all fruits, including droplets.
- Avoid placing notes closer than 1/2 to a spinner (1/2 is acceptable) as far as possible. This is because, depending on the BPM of the song and length of the spinner self, fruits are largely indistinguishable from spinner fruits when too close together.
Guidelines are NOT rules, so they may be broken in special cases. If you want to break a guideline, ask yourself this:  Does what I am about to do make any sense?  Is it more fun to play like this compared to sticking to the guidelines? If you answer "Yes" to both these questions, then it is probably okay.
- The recommended Approach Rate for a Catch the Beat specific difficulty of “normal” difficulty (in accordance with Taiko, this is more to the “insane”-ish level of play rather than an actual “normal”) is AR8. AR9 can be used for faster pace songs as determined by the mapper, but AR10 should never be used for a below-superinsane level of play.
- Bear in mind that CtB difficulties are meant to be fun to play, not a random experimentation with the editor. Make sure your map is fun, even if it's difficult! This comes only with practice. This includes making sure you don't spam 20 hyperdashes in a row - that's not fun, that's exhausting and frustrating.
- Make sure your combos aren't too long (15+)! Have in mind that sliders count as two fruits (and some slider lines/droplets) on Ryuuta's plate, and that can make you unable to see new fruits while in gameplay. A good, general baseline is a maximum of ten (10) fruits for a full combo. This is so that the fruit you catch doesn't block your view!
- Your spinners shouldn't be too long! Spinner's bananas may also “stacks up”.
- Overall Difficulty should have the same value as the Approach Rate. This is just a standardized value, as OD does not affect gameplay nor the amount of fruits a spinner has, just the max score of a difficulty.